New to the idea but hopefully not for long!

John Mason

My partner has a Caper and she has bought a very flexible ONeill 'heat' wetsuit... should be suitable for her over the next 4 months.

Good advice Starvin. As he will be paddling during warmer sea temps he may be able to stay with that - the waters still warm in October.

Kaskazi Dorado - Yellow

Interesting thread on clothing.

I have never even sat on a sit-on-top but I have done a lot of sea kayaking. I never wore a wetsuit unless I was alone on the basis that I only needed it if in the water for a prolonged period. Wetsuits were always 2-piece shorts and vest because a full day bent forward and paddling in a 1-piece was too much like hard work. Self rescue seems to be straight forward in these craft so I would tend to go for layers of quick drying and windproof clothing.

One guy I paddled with in Devon always had a pair of diving fins on his rear deck, if he was alone and capsized he just swam to shore with the boat in tow.

Cheers Steve W

Thanks for all of the info! This is a brilliant site!

I'll come and meet you guys if possible when you set off for your next expedition. It'll be a while before I decide what to go for as I want to consider all possibilities, so seeing what you use will help me to arrive at the best way forward. I'm pretty much set on a 13ft Prowler mind!

Cheers - John

Hi John,

I have been reading your reports on Mike Thrussells site for a week or two now as i also fish this part of the coast regularly albeit mainly down towards New Quay with a few trips up to Borth and Tywyn.

I have been flyfishing the estuary at the mouth of the Leri quite a lot since christmas trying to get a flounder on fly but so far have failed. I did have a nice garfish though last week on fly at HW near the refuge.

Good luck with the kayak, you won't regret it, and we can join up for a session if you like. I'm down there most weeks at the van.

nifty

Glad you piped up Nifty. I thought we had lost you!

Have you seen that there is now quite a gang coming up to catch your Tope! Even Speciman has been given leave to go camping en famille. Great stuff eh.

I can't get over this wekend - down south, so going to try for one of their smoothounds with Speciman and Zzipy (so I am told!)

Lok forward to seeing you weekend after 24 - 25 - 26 June. Slumbering in Starvin's van. Thank you Starvin - I'll bring some beer and some bacon. We won't starve - barbequed fish for supper each evening, so only breakfast to worry about!

Simon Everett

Staffordshire.

Fishing kayaks:

White& Orange Dorado

Olive Scupper Pro

Yellow Prowler Elite

Touring kayaks

Red White Skua

White & Orange Duo

Hi Simon,

I'm still here lurking and praying for some good weather for next week, and hoping the Tope will still be around so you guys can get a few and don't have a wasted journey.

Stuart.

Oh well, there should be black bream on the reef - Starvin can put us all on a good bit of ground with his fancy television thingy :D:D

Simon Everett

Staffordshire.

Fishing kayaks:

White& Orange Dorado

Olive Scupper Pro

Yellow Prowler Elite

Touring kayaks

Red White Skua

White & Orange Duo

Oh bugger, does that mean I've got to fit it, looks like a busy weekend, as there is no finder on the Prowler yet... drill... camera... action. :D

Can't wait.

SM :)

http://www.anglersafloat.co.uk

Kayaks: Ocean Kayak Caper (Sunrise)

Ocean Kayak Scupper Pro

Ocean Kayak Malibu 2 XL (Sunrise)

Ocean Kayak Trident 15

Wilderness Systems Tarpon 140 Angler (Yellow)

Malibu Mini-X

A member of B.A.S.S www.ukbass.com

Don't worry Starvin, if you look over the side you'll see what sort of ground your on.

Spend your time making a few wire traces up with Mustad barbless Tope and Ray hooks size 6/0 or failing that vikings in the same size.

Looking forward to meeting up with you guys.

nifty.