'thoughts on fish finders

musket

Hi all,

I would be interested to know your thoughts on the value of fish finders.

Those of you that have them do you now wonder how you managed without or is it just another piece of equipment to purchase/worry about/go wrong?

I can see its value on new ground but if you fish say half a dozen spots that you're familar with, is it superflous?

I only ask as having been out with Yaskalos and seen his in operation I am seriously considering a purchase.

Incidentally is there a site where they compare different models?

Cheers Jon.

"Some times the earth appears stale,flat and tedious, when lifes petty restrictions strangles the spirit and when a crowd of fellow mortals affects one as a collection of hopeless and soulless oafs,then all that is left to you is to take to the sea"

Hi Musket,

The finder is a distraction when you first fit it, you tend to stare whilst paddling, but once the novelty has worn off then it's useful to find features.

There is a great review site at:

http://www.fish-finder-review.com/

The one thing to consider is how easy it is to remove the display from your kayak when transporting and storing, I use Humminbird finders as they have a one button release from the base and cables, all the cables are fixed into the base, really simple system but very secure.

The Humminbird displays are also waterproof and I believe they float :) not tried to test it though.

Have fun choosing one and take care and consideration choosing how to fit the transducer.

SM:)

http://www.anglersafloat.co.uk

Kayaks: Ocean Kayak Caper (Sunrise)

Ocean Kayak Scupper Pro

Ocean Kayak Malibu 2 XL (Sunrise)

Ocean Kayak Trident 15

Wilderness Systems Tarpon 140 Angler (Yellow)

Malibu Mini-X

A member of B.A.S.S www.ukbass.com

When I used to pike fish from a small boat in big lakes I found a fishfinder indispensable, especially when trolling, when you need to follow a particular depth contour so that you know you baits are working at the right height off the bed. They also help you find the drop-offs and other structure that predators lurk around for static fishing. I imagine that in the sea they would have similar uses, especially in combination with the modern accurate GPS. Anyway, who cares about all that, they are probably the best toys in the world. I guarantee if you've got one you'll never turn it off!

I,ve got a Garmin Fishfinder 80 fitted, great, better than the TV, and it is waterproof, it's been upside down a couple of times. Spray the connector with WD40 after each trip, good as new :)

I don't use the supplied mounting bracket tho' I chopped down one of those "Danica"? flush mount rod holders and epoxied the FF to this.. The supplied bracket left too much exposed with FF taken off, now the only thing on the 'yak with the FF gone is the Flush Mounting