Rope Cleat

Newt

After reading some of the problems with anchor lines and similar, I thought I'd offer a suggestion.

I often anchor just below dams in the tailrace area. Great fishing since the dams around here are for generating electricity and the water flow through the turbines gives a constant supply of chopped fish bits.

The only downside is that they can decide to release lots of water on occasion and the only warning is a siren that signals a huge increase in water flow in about 60 seconds. Since I fish these areas at anchor and usually a pair of anchors, I looked around for some alternative to cutting the anchor line since that can get expensive.

The gadget shown below has been the answer for me. It grips the line with zero slip but takes only a second or two to get the line loose. Never binds under a load either. I used rubber ones for a while but with a larger boat have switched to metal ones. With these and when I'm anchored in a tailrace, a float clipped onto the line above the cleat, I can be free and moving in 30 seconds and come back later to retrieve my anchors since the float (empty pint water bottle) keeps the line where I can find it.

an-rope-cleat.gif

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nice one Newt,

I ordered mine two weeks ago!!! :D ...I've been waiting for them to turn up before posting on here...but you beat me to it!!! I'll wait until they arrive before saying 'who' I bought from. However I did order from the U.S. as the 'gripper cleat' is not available here in the the UK, yet. I bought a black plastic version to match the other fittings on my yak.

There are several different manufacturers of the same design in the US as far as I can tell. I'll review mine when it arrives.

I'm using mine for securing the position of the anchor pulley system, fore and aft. I also use a barton mini cam cleat to lock of the Anchor warp.

To see the gripper cleat installed as I'll be using it see this link http://www.paddle-fishing.com/rigging/anch...chortrolley.htm which Starvin very kindly sent me when he knew I was rigging :D

Anyhow I'll let you know how I get on with mine when it arrives.

Tightlines, Art :)

Cheers Newt,

I have been trolling my local chandlers for something similar with no luck, Art I see has done the sensible thing and ordered direct from the States, look out mate I'm bringing my screwdriver up with me when I visit. :D

http://www.anglersafloat.co.uk

Kayaks: Ocean Kayak Caper (Sunrise)

Ocean Kayak Scupper Pro

Ocean Kayak Malibu 2 XL (Sunrise)

Ocean Kayak Trident 15

Wilderness Systems Tarpon 140 Angler (Yellow)

Malibu Mini-X

A member of B.A.S.S www.ukbass.com

Right...that's made my mind up...I'll rivet the boogers on!!! :D

Anyhow just cause we were speaking about them...they turned up in the post this morning!!! :D

Here's the packaging...

1.jpg

...and here's one of the contents...

2.jpg

As you can see the packaging is very similar so there must be a link between Stearns the manufacturer of mine and Panther Marine who produce Newt's.

Either way you can get all varieties from both manufacturers. Maybe some bright spark will find them for sale here in the UK...or even read this and become an importer!!! ...whatever the case its a very useful product and will handle ropes up to 3/8".

I bought mine from boatingbuddy.com and received great service and prompt email responses with particular thanks to Doug Erickson. I believe you have to pay using Paypal, which wasn't a problem for me, but maybe for some. It took 14 days to arrive from ordering. Obviously the shipping is a large proportion of the cost...the $7.46 price tag became $17.41 with delivery included...however it was a price I was happy to pay to get the product I want...and let's face it... they will be selling here soon for £15+!!! :D

Anyhow I'm chuffed and looking forward to positioning on the yak. On that point, I will be positioning just to my left and right and behind slightly as not to be in the way during boating fish or more importantly if having to make a deep water re-entry. As you can see hopefully from the pics it does stand proud of the surface by approx 25mm at highest point, so you don't want to position it in a 'heavy traffic' area!

All the Best and tightlines...I'm off to fit it so tight, Starvin can't get it off!!!, Art :)

I'm not sure what brand mine are. The pic of the packaged one is just the first one I could search up on the internet since I was at work and couldn't do a picture of mine.

You can see that I have a more 'normal' cleat available but can't remember the last time I used it. I have 4 of the grabbers mounted and they were among the first things I put on this boat after I bought it.

an-mount-cleat.jpg

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

Hi Folks.

I finally got my Caper wet at Felixstowe this morning - just getting to know how it handles and doing some self-rescues. It was rather breezier than I had expected with the wind straight along the beach and giving some surf, white caps and swell. I must say I was very impressed with the way it handled, even beam-on to the sea. I wouldn’t have dared to do that in my conventional sea kayak.

I wanted to anchor for the rescues but obviously haven’t drilled any holes yet. So I took my dinghy anchor and chain and attached my reel of 4mm line to it. I put the anchor over the side and let out enough line then I pushed a loop of the line through one of the attachment eyelets on the gunwale and pulled a big enough loop through to fit the line reel into. As the line went taut it gripped the reel and held the line firm. To keep the boat’s bow into the sea I undid the forward hatch retaining buckle and then re-did it over the line so routeing it forward. It worked like a charm and, if I had got into trouble, it would have been very quick to release. As Newt suggests, I will attach a float to the reel and make sure the end of the line is secured to it. I will use a quick-release clip attached to a rear securing point if I want to route it aft and can use any of the central attachment loops to secure it amidships. I’m not sure I will bother with any special rigging on the boat.

I hope this makes sense, as with so many on this forum I haven’t the faintest idea how to attach photos!

P.S. At the risk of an Emporer's New Clothes moment, what is the car in Artfulfisher's post all about?

Steve W -

http://www.go-fishing.org/upload/

- Fill in the top block with anything you want

- Fill in the next block with your email addy

- Browse up your picture in the 3rd block

- Ignore the 4th block

- Click to upload the picture

The upload step will take you to a new page where the URL of your picture will be surrounded by . Copy that entire line and paste it in a post. Your picture will then display.

Notes:

- no spaces allowed in the filename so my-pic.jpg or mypic.jpg are good but my pic.jpg will fail.

- keep the size down to 640x480 or smaller

- use a .jpg or .Gif picture format