maggots - why the different colours

thuramario

i think the topic title says it all. i know nothing so feel free to educate me and anyone else for that matter.

The quick answer is, at times fish will be turned on more to one colour than another, or you can target different fish using different coloured maggots. At my local pond I've found that roach are attracted more to the plain maggot, whilst perch go more for the red ones :)

Btw, using a 'medusa' (a cork ball or boilie with maggots superglued to it by the blunt end) is a very good bait for carp; and superglueing several maggots end-to-end produces a very good substitute for a worm when fishing for perch....

John S

Quanti Canicula Ille In Fenestra

Species caught in 2017 Common Ash, Hawthorn, Hazel, Scots Pine, White Willow.

Species caught in 2016: Alder, Blackthorn, Common Ash, Crab Apple, Left Earlobe, Pedunculate Oak, Rock Whitebeam, Scots Pine, Smooth-leaved Elm, Swan, Wayfaring tree.

Species caught in 2015: Ash, Bird Cherry, Black-Headed Gull, Common Hazel, Common Whitebeam, Elder, Field Maple, Gorse, Puma, Sessile Oak, White Willow.

Species caught in 2014: Big Angry Man's Ear, Blackthorn, Common Ash, Common Whitebeam, Downy Birch, European Beech, European Holly, Hawthorn, Hazel, Scots Pine, Wych Elm.
Species caught in 2013: Beech, Elder, Hawthorn, Oak, Right Earlobe, Scots Pine.

Species caught in 2012: Ash, Aspen, Beech, Big Nasty Stinging Nettle, Birch, Copper Beech, Grey Willow, Holly, Hazel, Oak, Wasp Nest (that was a really bad day), White Poplar.
Species caught in 2011: Blackthorn, Crab Apple, Elder, Fir, Hawthorn, Horse Chestnut, Oak, Passing Dog, Rowan, Sycamore, Willow.
Species caught in 2010: Ash, Beech, Birch, Elder, Elm, Gorse, Mullberry, Oak, Poplar, Rowan, Sloe, Willow, Yew.

The quick answer is, at times fish will be turned on more to one colour than another, or you can target different fish using different coloured maggots. At my local pond I've found that roach are attracted more to the plain maggot, whilst perch go more for the red ones :)

Btw, using a 'medusa' (a cork ball or boilie with maggots superglued to it by the blunt end) is a very good bait for carp; and superglueing several maggots end-to-end produces a very good substitute for a worm when fishing for perch....

Certain waters fish better with certain colours, this could be that that a particular colour matches best a natural food source such as nymphs or shrimp, or it could just be the case that the particular maggot colour stands out better in that water.

The river Avon in Warwickshire is renowned for producing better catches to bronze maggots, why I can’t tell you but I can tell you, you catch more with Bronze maggots!

Jasper Carrot On birmingham city

" You lose some you draw some"

i think the question was "why" are they different colors, like why is one red and the other yellow, pink, blue or green

i think i asked someone this question a long time ago and they said it was different types of flies, someon else said it is dye they add too them and im certain someone once told me it was the temprature.

im a little confused over this one aswel being given 3 different answers

Owner of Tacklesack.co.uk

Moderator at The-Pikers-Pit.co.uk

Maggots are different colours because they're dyed.

Maggots are sold in different colours because on some waters, or for some species, or on a certain day, fish show preference to one colour over another. Why is another question!

Edited by Anderoo

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

If the effectiveness of the maggots starts to fade over time you can vary your maggotts by changing the colour, flavour or size of them (Maggots, Pinkies etc.)

I used to catch well on Blue coloured maggots when my local tackleshop used to sell them however he used to sell more orange ones so stopped doing the blues in the end.

You can buy several flavourings in the tackle shop to change their flavour/scent or use your own but dont use too much. If you use artificial flavourings remember it may taste completely different to a human than to a fish.

Edited by BoldBear

Happiness is Fish shaped (it used to be woman shaped but the wife is getting on a bit now)

Guest tigger
Maggots are different colours because they're dyed.

Sorry Anderoo your wrong m8 different coloured maggots are bred from Fancy coloured flies :wacko:

Sorry Anderoo your wrong m8 different coloured maggots are bred from Fancy coloured flies :wacko:

Tigger I think you must be joking; but if not; what planet are you from? :) they are dyed as Anderoo says.

I used to colour mine myself once using the now illegal Crysodine dye; which was found to be cargeogenic, however the dyes are usually put onto the maggots feed. they have much safer dyes these days (I hope).

The maggots all start life a similar white-ish colour. (except for the blue and pink striped flies used for mixed maggots :) )

Edited by BoldBear

Happiness is Fish shaped (it used to be woman shaped but the wife is getting on a bit now)

Tigger I think you must be joking; but if not; what planet are you from? :) they are dyed as Anderoo says.

I used to colour mine myself once using the now illegal Crysodine dye; which was found to be cargeogenic, however the dyes are usually put onto the maggots feed. they have much safer dyes these days (I hope).

The maggots all start life a similar white-ish colour. (except for the blue and pink striped flies used for mixed maggots :) )

Bronze maggots are the worst in respect of dyed fingers, if I se a couple of pints it takes me two weeks to get the dye out of my skin. I end up looking like a chain Smoker :D

Jasper Carrot On birmingham city

" You lose some you draw some"

Bronze maggots are the worst in respect of dyed fingers, if I se a couple of pints it takes me two weeks to get the dye out of my skin. I end up looking like a chain Smoker :D

May as well take up chain smoking then.... :)

¤«Thʤ«PÔâ©H¤MëíTë®»¤

Click HERE for in-fighting, scrapping, name-calling, objectional and often explicit behaviour and cakes. Mind your tin-hat

Click HERE for Tench Fishing World forums

Playboy.jpg

LandaPikkoSig.jpg

"I envy not him that eats better meat than I do, nor him that is richer, or that wears better clothes than I do. I envy nobody but him, and him only, that catches more fish than I do"

...Izaac Walton...

"It looked a really nice swim betwixt weedbed and bank"

...Vagabond...