Any reccommendations for a combi boiler ?

Tigger

I went to bed last night but couldn't drop off to sleep and while lying there I could hear a hissing sound which I thought must have been the multifuel fire in one of the other rooms. Anyhow my Mrs had put one of the dogs in a cage in a small bedroom where the boiler is housed and the dog started barking with an unusual urgency...as though he had a rumbling stomach. My mrs got up to take him out to releive himself and shouted to me to come look as the room had an inch of water on top of the laminate flooring and water was spurting out of the boiler on the wall !!! I jumped up and ran out side to switch the water off in the garage. It then took me two hours mopping up the water. The boilers only just over 6yrs old but to get someone out to try and repaire it might cost two or three hundred or maybe even more to repair so i'm thinking of biting the bullet and having it replaced with a new one. Looking on the net at reviews I can't find any without terrible reviews. A bit worrying really so I thought i'd ask if anyone on AN has any reccommendations.

Ian, without doubt a worcester bosch, being in the gas business as you well know I see these things happen everyday & the only one I would recommend & have myself is worcester bosch.

Edited by George387

A Scotsman in Yorkshire...http://traditionalfloats.blogspot.co.uk/

Can you still get ascots? The council replaced our back boiler with some modern crap that wastes a sink full of water before it gets hot enough to use ,the crazy bit is the boiler is 2 feet from the sink!

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

It would be worth finding out what's wrong with the old one, a repair should be way cheaper than a new boiler.

With no disrespect to George, opinions on boilers from plumbers are not dissimilar to opinions on rods or reels from anglers, everyone has a favourite, some will say Worcester,or Vaillant, or Intergas.etc. etc..

Take a couple of photos of the offending area, make sure you have the boiler/system details and get yourself over to UHM for some advice.

http://www.ultimatehandyman.co.uk/forum1/index.php

I went to bed last night but couldn't drop off to sleep and while lying there I could hear a hissing sound which I thought must have been the multifuel fire in one of the other rooms. Anyhow my Mrs had put one of the dogs in a cage in a small bedroom where the boiler is housed and the dog started barking with an unusual urgency...as though he had a rumbling stomach. My mrs got up to take him out to releive himself and shouted to me to come look as the room had an inch of water on top of the laminate flooring and water was spurting out of the boiler on the wall !!! I jumped up and ran out side to switch the water off in the garage. It then took me two hours mopping up the water. The boilers only just over 6yrs old but to get someone out to try and repaire it might cost two or three hundred or maybe even more to repair so i'm thinking of biting the bullet and having it replaced with a new one. Looking on the net at reviews I can't find any without terrible reviews. A bit worrying really so I thought i'd ask if anyone on AN has any reccommendations.

Ian the trouble with reviews on the net for anything is peeps only leave one if they are unhappy with said item....the boiler that has performed faultlessly for eleventy nine years never gets a mention//////can highlight brand specific faults though .

We are not putting it back it is a lump now put that curry down and go and get the scales

have I told you abouit the cruise control on my Volvo ,,,,,,,bla bla bla Barder rod has it come yet?? and don`t even start me on Chris Lythe :bleh::icecream:

I have a Vaillant Ecotec with weather compensating controls and would recommend - I went for a Vaillant for a few reasons: after reading Which reports where they came out a bit better than Worcester, a five year warranty and the simple fact that after getting quotes from several plumbers/heating engineers - the one who only dealt with valliant came out alot cheaper for the work I needed.

The work I had was a big job, taking out an old back boiler and capping gas, installing new boiler in a new location upstairs, new gas intake right through house, new pipework - hot and cold, new flume, capping old thermostat etc.

The weather compensating controls do work well and yes my gas bills have come down as opposed to running a G rated back boiler.

One thing I will say - steer clear of British Gas - I had an approx 50% more expensive quote from them to fit same boiler.

TBH he didnt make much of a sales effort when he realised I had done my home work (dont know how he spotted the pile of quotes, reports and trade literature on my coffee table), he also had the cheek to turn up in a top end BMW, every other bloke turned up in a work van!

RUDD

Different floats for different folks!

Thank's for the replies gent's :).

I've contacted a chap i've known for many years (he only lives up the road and comes fishing with me once in a blue moon) and he's been fitting boilers for over 30yrs so I do have a "little" confidence in his words. He told me all boilers can gowrong and that they're all pretty much the same. He said it's mainly the back up or guarantee that's a big issue. He says worscter boch are a nightmare to get out and try to wriggle out of everything and take ages to get out to mend stuff.

He's been fitting a lot of Alphas for a few yrs now and reckons they're as good as the other brands boilers but they have long guarantees and will come out to mend any faults pretty quick. The one's he's reccommended to me have a 5 and an 8yr warranty for parts and labour so long as the boiler is serviced every year but he can do the service for me for nothing. The one with the 8yr warranty is 1375 nicker fitted which is sickening to say the least. The 5yr warranty one costs 1100 nicker so I think for another 100 sqid a year the 8yr warranty is coming out favourite at the moment.

I'm jacked off with boilers !!!

It would be worth finding out what's wrong with the old one, a repair should be way cheaper than a new boiler.

With no disrespect to George, opinions on boilers from plumbers are not dissimilar to opinions on rods or reels from anglers, everyone has a favourite, some will say Worcester,or Vaillant, or Intergas.etc. etc..

Take a couple of photos of the offending area, make sure you have the boiler/system details and get yourself over to UHM for some advice.

http://www.ultimatehandyman.co.uk/forum1/index.php

None taken, like you say we all have our own likes & dislikes, All boilers are pretty much the same Ive just found over the years the one I recommended is very reliable and great aftercare, Ive had no problems with that make or company.

As for fitting & getting them out, never had any problems there either.

Edited by George387

A Scotsman in Yorkshire...http://traditionalfloats.blogspot.co.uk/

This won't help, but I see loads and loads of hassle with modern wall hung system and combie boilers. I not gas registered however I work with guys who are. The modern boilers are complicated and expensive when things go wrong, and they do, a lot.

I fitted my back boiler 33 years ago, two year ago I had my gas man take out the burner, valve and ignition and replace, the only other thing left is the cast iron heat exchanger. So hopefully I can have a few more years of trouble free.

Sorry to hear about you boiler problem, hopefully if it is just a leak and the board hasn't been affected it can be repaired. Without too much cost implication.

Free to choose apart from the ones where the trust poked their nose in. Common eel. tope. Bass and sea bream. All restricted.

New for 2016 TAT are the main instigators for the demise of the u k bass charter boat industry, where they went screaming off to parliament and for the first time assisting so called angling gurus set up bass take bans with the e u using rubbish exaggerated info collected by ices from anglers, they must be very proud.

Upgrade, the door has been closed with regards to anglers being linked to the e u superstate and the failed c f p. So TAT will no longer need to pay monies to the EAA anymore as that org is no longer relevant to the u k . Goodbye to the europeon anglers alliance and pathetic restrictions from the e u.

Angling is better than politics, ban politics from angling.

Consumer of bass. where is the evidence that the u k bass stock need angling trust protection. Why won't you work with your peers instead of castigating them. They have the answer.

Recipie's for mullet stew more than welcomed.

Angling sanitation trust and kent and sussex sea anglers org delete's and blocks rsa's alternative opinion on their face book site. Although they claim to rep all.

new for 2014. where is the evidence that the south coast bream stock need the angling trust? Your campaign has no evidence. Why won't you work with your peers, the inshore under tens? As opposed to alienating them? Angling trust failed big time re bait digging, even fish legal attempted to intervene and failed, all for what, nothing.

Looks like the sea angling reps have been coerced by the ifca's to compose sea angling strategy's that the ifca's at some stage will look at drafting into legislation to manage the rsa, because they like wasting tax payers money. That's without asking the rsa btw. You know who you are..