Reuben Heaton 4000 specimen hunter dial scales weighing oddly?

I think if the fish is worth weighing it is only right to want to weigh it as accurately as possible, if a rough idea would suffice you might as well just take a punt and guess your self, which is possibly what some people do, and that is fine, but some people like to keep records and like to beat personal bests, not just species personal bests but personal best for a specific venue, or method, and having the most accurate set of scales you can find will only help with this, I know it is not everyones cup of tea but it must matter to a lot of people otherwise we would all still be using Samson scales.

Fishing is many different things to many different people, I would love a 2.15 roach or even a 1.15 roach, and not be remotley unhappy with it, I would be turning cartwheels for months afterwards.

My sole point in all of this is the scales i purchased are on most readings not giving the performance i expected them too, or was led to believe they would, i can totally accept them being 1/2 ounce at on some readings and understand that this is as good as you can get for fishing scales but when they are consistently 1/2oz out and very rarely actually correct then this becomes an issue with me, especially when you factor in the £80 i paid for them. I do feel the performance i am getting is on par with many cheaper sets and indeed even my old Avons (which if anything are slightly more accurate than these Reubens i bought).

Edited by EdgbastonBreamBasher

It wasn't meant as a pop at you, it is something that I have been saying on this forum for a good few years now.

I just don't get the importance of weight as a measure of achievement, or anything else.

Let's agree to respect each others views, no matter how wrong yours may be.

Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity

http://www.safetypublishing.co.uk/
http://www.safetypublishing.ie/

Sorry for the delay in replying I was out shopping.

I didn't take it as a pop mate, I just saw it as a question, if my reply was a bit defensive then I apologise as I appreciate it Is easy to judge someone like myself in the position I am in by saying how I am not happy with some scales that are weighing 1/2oz out... if it were me reading this I would probably think what others are likely thinking, but as it was my money that was spent I have a slightly different stance and feel a bit hard done by when I was led to believe how accurate they would be.

Anyway, another update, I returned the scales and got some Reuben Heaton digitals in their place, I must admit that this was a little hesitantly done as I have no experience with digitals but I decided as I have some dial Avons it would be ok to get some digis.

So yes you guessed it, as soon as I get home out come the avery weights and on goes the sling... firstly I should say how small and light these scales are, secondly I love the tare on them, turn them on, put the sling on and press tare, instant 0... love it.

So on with the test...

The 1lb avery weight was weighed at approx. 1lb

The 2lb avery weight was weighed at approx. 2lb

A combo of the 1lb and 2lb produced a weight of 3lb

The 4lb avery was next, this weighed 4lb approx

Not making any of this up, if the weights are out I will say so.

Then the 4lb and 1lb and yes this weighed 5lb

The 4lb and 2lb avery weights weighed 6lb approx

Then all 3 weights together weighed approx 7lb, not 7.1 not 6.15... but 7lb.

Remember my 1l bottle of water? this weighed 2.2lb...

All my avery weights together and the bottle of water (combined indivual weight of 9.2lb) was weighed last, and yes, you guessed it, they weighed approx 9.2lb.

Now you can take from all of this what you will.

Edit: Just weighed my rucksack and on the Reuben Digis this weighed 17lb 11oz and on my Avons the same rucksack weighed 17lb 12oz... you may recall my Avons weighed some of the Avery weights at 1oz heavy so all of these test results tie in perfectly together.

For me, the Reuben digis are far more accurate than the Reuben specimen huneters I owned, other peoples sets of specimen hunter might be more accurate than mine was as mine were consistently 1/2 out at nearly every single weight (usualy light) and I didn't think this was acceptable for £80.

All of my results are done to the absolute very best that I can to ensure as much accuracy as is possible.

Edited by EdgbastonBreamBasher

If I had bought them i'd either send them back or return them in person....if i'd paid top wack for a set of scales meant to take accurate weights then that's what i'd expect to get. I wouldn't let the people on the blower fob me off with nonsense.

Er Tigger. He took them back and exchanged them for digis.

I find I am in a bit of a quandary over the matter of weighing.

I have set myself some big fish targets this year as a sort of swan song and I suppose it would be nice to know if I achieve them.

The problem is that there will probably only be a couple of fish that would want to weigh this year and my fishing buddy's scales only go up to 60lb and that will not be enough. I am also not going to spend daft money on a set of scales that I am only likely to use once or twice.

I suppose I will just have to accept the fact that a fish is the biggest I've caught but no idea by how much.

Will it matter this time next year?

No, shouldn't think so.

Interesting experiments, thanks for that. What would be more interesting is repeating it in a few months, to see if there's any variation caused by battery drain.

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

I will absolutely keep an eye on them and report back with any findings, whether that be no news to report or any variation in readings, however slight.

I wanted to use the same weights and keep notes, that way I can test them at any time and see how they are performing, but at the end of the day they are Reuben Heaton still, the same company that makes dial scales that people seem to have total faith in, so I see no real problem assuming they are not abused or allowed to run low on power.