River tees

andyj008

Hi Andy - welcome to the forum.

I suspect few people of here are too familiar with the Tees - what are you wanting to catch? - prospects vary quite widely, species-wise according to where you are.

If you're looking for easy fishing on par with a typical commercial, you'll struggle, but the good news is that there IS good fishing available ... just needs searching out (or a friendly nudge in the right direction!)

I'm after chub and barbel really , and the odd perch would do nicely . Just getting back into fishing after 10plus years away from it and was just wondering where people fish on the tees nowadays . I don't mind if it doesn't fish as well as a fishery as I like a challenge . Just hope a few of the members would know the pegs and areas to fish from . Cheers :)

As generalisations, (and sticking to the free stretches) around Yarm and downstream is going to yield (amongst other stuff) bream, chub and pike, and to a lesser degree, perch - it's not somewhere that I would personally target for barbel, which you are more likely to find much further upstream around Middleton St George or Darlington - both of these locations will offer less pike and bream, but likely a more mixed bag ... the river here is much more varied and lively compared to Yarm downstream, which as you know can be very much like a massive stillwater, being above the barrage at Stockton.

Cleveland Angling Centre in Thornaby can probably give you more precise detail of going areas on the Tees from Yarm downstream, or local anglers that you will find bankside in Thornaby or at the back of Preston Park ... there are very few on here who fish the Tees at all, let alone regularly.

Furher upstream, unless someone is able / prepared to offer some VERY specific advice about swims, almost to the point of showing you them, it's very much a case of go walkies and use a bit of watercraft, as there ARE some serious fish in the river, but they tend to be quite localised and need locating

Cheers for the info , so glad I joined this forum . I think a winter chub session might be on the cards at Yarm soon , I really want to explore the tees this year and brush up on my fishing skills as I'm out of practice . Much appriciated !

Andy, don't want to post this publicly, but when you have made a few more posts and can access the PM system, drop me a message so that I can contact you directly? ... happy to point you towards a couple of good, easily accessible spots that are rarely fished!

• Like 1

15 posts for full member status and no more waiting for approval.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

Andy, don't want to post this publicly, but when you have made a few more posts and can access the PM system, drop me a message so that I can contact you directly? ... happy to point you towards a couple of good, easily accessible spots that are rarely fished!

You can pm the same info and I'll tell you if they get fished and if its heavy or light fishing traffic

On the original subject most of the Tees free fishing is below Yarm town centre and includes the Yorkshire bank as the far bank Durham side is Yarm AA, if you can locate the fish you will do well but you need the right conditions to make them feed as right now they're tightly packed up in very localised areas which tend to be the deepest bits too, good fishing to be had but it isn't now, we need a bit of warmer water coming through as its been cold rain rather than warm entering the river system making for a poor winter, get the conditions right with a falling river, can have some colour in it and the dace will feed, can get 15/20lb bags of dace but that's the exception rather than the norm

Give it another 5/6 weeks and it'll be easier to fish, if you go now then don't expect too much