Devon Kayakers

Yakity - Yak - u.k.

Great idea, could do with another registered charity to donate my money to :-)

on a serious note I am all in favour of setting some dates next year or howabout an eviening intro meet

This kayak thing is getting wy to obsessive, I've bought a VW caddy pick up with ladder rack to carry my yak started changing my gear to suit and building a crate ( the thing isn't even in the UK yet!!!!!)

A bit off topic anyone fancy going for the Porgies, it's one reason I got the yak and I reckon it's achievable from either Crackington or close to Hartland

Best Regards

Flynny

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Terry,

Sorry to hear about your now definite leak.

When you speak to kayaks & paddles-let them know that you have heard about Martin who has taken them back two leaking P13's .He dealt with a guy called Bruce.

Jon

"Some times the earth appears stale,flat and tedious, when lifes petty restrictions strangles the spirit and when a crowd of fellow mortals affects one as a collection of hopeless and soulless oafs,then all that is left to you is to take to the sea"

Flyynny2 (spelling something like that anyway!)

I am off for a crack at a Porgie tomorrow -Monday.

I have a sister ship accompanying me (and saving me a paddle) just to see what it will be like.

My over-riding concern is not about whether i can stay in the kayak - no problem there I know. It is about dealing with a thrashing shark at the side of the kayak. To get a tag in you have to have the fish under control so it can be measured properly. I think that in the kayak it might need to be so played out as to be unfair on the fish - unless you go on the US system of just getting your hand on the leader and counting it as landed, then cutting it away.

You do need to think of the welfare of the shark - I would hate to play a shark to exhaustion just to be able to deal with it - and then not be able to revive it fully. That is why I am going with a mother ship so they can take over if need be.

Go careful - for the sharks' sake, unlike YY i'm not a bit worried about YOU - I bet, like me, you are big enough and ugly enough to look after yourself :D:D

Simon Everett

Staffordshire.

Fishing kayaks:

White& Orange Dorado

Olive Scupper Pro

Yellow Prowler Elite

Touring kayaks

Red White Skua

White & Orange Duo

Good Luck

My only advice if you don,t want to tire the fish to exhaustion would be to adopt IGFA rules, fish with traditional steel hooks not s/s, relatively short rubbing trace or ideally wind on leader and cut the line as close as you can.

I would forget trying to revive any shark.

I think there should be a happy medium in playing but not over tiring.

What rod/reel/line/drag etc are you using?

are you chumming or searching for the shark first

last of all where are you going, I would of thought they might be a bit sparse this time of year.

Best Regards

Flynny

P.S. I'm only 5' 5" and ansome

It is interesting that Porgies are present around the coast all year round - they are caught off the North Coast of Scotland in january!

We are going to try the Irish Sea. Only it has got blown off - again. 30 knot winds forecast from the south - and even i am not going to go and sit out in that, not even in my nice, new, Palm paddle pants which kept me warm and dry yesterday!

Simon Everett

Staffordshire.

Fishing kayaks:

White& Orange Dorado

Olive Scupper Pro

Yellow Prowler Elite

Touring kayaks

Red White Skua

White & Orange Duo