Foam Filters

Elton

The wife was going to Seapets yesterday, which is another shop that I won't frequent, due to them refusing to change a faulty product for me once.

Anyway, I asked her to see if they have any of those foam filters for the garden pond filter. You know, the black, green and yellow ones?

£50 they wanted for them!!!!!!!

Tania told them that I normally pay about £15.

"They'll be the budget ones, madam. These are a quality product. Hozelock ones"

£50 for three poxy bits of foam? I'd want them to service my car, do the shopping and pay rent at that price :rolleyes:

Anyone know where I can buy normal ones online?

Anglers' Net Shopping Partners - Please Support Your Forum

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

CLICK HERE for Go Outdoors. HUGE discounts!

FOLLOW ANGLERS' NET ON TWITTER- CLICK HERE - @anglersnet

PLEASE 'LIKE' US ON FACEBOOK - CLICK HERE

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Pond stuff has suddenly become expensive, as though the manufacturers have just realised that they can collectively squeeze even more out of us. I just replaced a 1200 gallon per hour pump for £135. Four years ago it was £78.

www.bradshawsdirect.co.uk are about as cheap as any of the usual stores but Ebay seems these days to be selling a whole range of stuff at cheapo prices. Take a look.

'I've got a mind like a steel wassitsname'

I've done it again......!!

Do you know, despite using it every day of the week, I never think to look on eBay!!

I'm trying to think of an excuse, but I think it's just because I'm stupid :D

Cheers - now off to search....

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

Don't worry elton, you're not the only one. Before I realised that fishkeeping had become so big on Ebay, my fish were eating (costwise) better than I was. When the pump recently broke down I had to replace it in a hurry, so it was galling to have to stump up 135 smackeroonees when I could have bought the same pump on Ebay for 85. Only problem was, that by the time the Ebay pump would have arrived, my koi would have been nothing more than sushi.

Might be worth checking out your local "Yellow Pages" under "Upholstery Suppliers" ...

They sell lots of different kinds of foam/mesh etc. ...

They might have just what you need ... and a dammed site cheaper !!! :D:D

If you're lucky !! :rolleyes::rolleyes:

The Older I get .. The better I was.

Might be worth checking out your local "Yellow Pages" under "Upholstery Suppliers" ...

They sell lots of different kinds of foam/mesh etc. ...

They might have just what you need ... and a dammed site cheaper !!! :D:D

If you're lucky !! :rolleyes::rolleyes:

I did think about that, but wondered if they'd have the same properties. I'd love to get a few metres squared of each and just cut it off when needed.

I did think about that, but wondered if they'd have the same properties. I'd love to get a few metres squared of each and just cut it off when needed.

Hiya,

when I set up the pond at my dads back in 85, I built the filter myself using plastic pot scourers as the pre filter and normal sponges bought from a Pound shop. They are still going strong and all the fish are still there :)

Another one is the white wool.. go to a fabric shop and buy some quilting, a fraction of the cost of the real thing and just as effective :)

Davy

"Skate Anglers Have Bigger Tackle"

Elton, I've got a three stage filter that I made about 20 years ago with old water tanks and still going strong. All three chambers contain plastic elements very similar to hair curlers, the last being topped by three sheets of foam each with slightly different levels of coarseness. When I first set it up I looked for cheaper alternatives but the problem using diy foam ie made for the upholstery trade, is that most of it is treated with fire resistant or fire retardant chemicals. Good if its on your sofa...not good for fish tho'. I'm sure I've seen the right stuff cheaper than the price that you were quoted, but you need a pukka koi dealer, most general aquarist dealers will only stock complete systems or the most expensively marked up filter media. Ah..found it.... If you only want the foam (not the complete filter) try here

http://www.koicarp.net/filtration/media/foam_set1.html

Judging by these prices, to answer your first question.....yes they were having a laugh

Edited by argyll

Elton, I've got a three stage filter that I made about 20 years ago with old water tanks and still going strong. All three chambers contain plastic elements very similar to hair curlers, the last being topped by three sheets of foam each with slightly different levels of coarseness. When I first set it up I looked for cheaper alternatives but the problem using diy foam ie made for the upholstery trade, is that most of it is treated with fire resistant or fire retardant chemicals. Good if its on your sofa...not good for fish tho'. I'm sure I've seen the right stuff cheaper than the price that you were quoted, but you need a pukka koi dealer, most general aquarist dealers will only stock complete systems or the most expensively marked up filter media. Ah..found it.... If you only want the foam (not the complete filter) try here

http://www.koicarp.net/filtration/media/foam_set1.html

Judging by these prices, to answer your first question.....yes they were having a laugh

Im with Argyll here: the fire retardents are bad news.

Help predict climate change!

http://climateprediction.net

Cheers, guys. Must measure the foam, as I've found a dealer on eBay who is as cheap as I've seen.