Foam Filters

Elton

Im with Argyll here: the fire retardents are bad news.

The material used to make cigarette filters, on the other hand.... I used to know someone who worked in a fag factory and was able to obtain the synthetic floss they make the filters out of. Exactly like the stuff the aquarium shops sell for a fortune.

In my opinion, for removing particulates in pond filters, tightly packed brushes are the dog's. Set it up so you can drain the settlement chamber separately and you just turn the pump off, give them a good shake and drain all the muck away. Good surface area for biological filtration too.

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't worry elton, you're not the only one. Before I realised that fishkeeping had become so big on Ebay, my fish were eating (costwise) better than I was. When the pump recently broke down I had to replace it in a hurry, so it was galling to have to stump up 135 smackeroonees when I could have bought the same pump on Ebay for 85. Only problem was, that by the time the Ebay pump would have arrived, my koi would have been nothing more than sushi.

Just bought a Green Geenie 48,000 filter om ebay delivered for£139. The cheapest that I had seen it elsewhere was £189.

Ebay has some great bargains if you look around & do not get "Auction Fever."

Ralph

• 10 months later...

does anyone know a source of activated carbon matting 8" x 6" or more ,i have a air scrubber (no not a naughty girl playing an imaginary guitar) but the refill filters cost as much as the dammed machine its self :angry: if i could source cheap crabon matting i could make my own pre filter which is the bit that needs cleaning the most :)

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

Pond stuff has suddenly become expensive, as though the manufacturers have just realised that they can collectively squeeze even more out of us. I just replaced a 1200 gallon per hour pump for £135. Four years ago it was £78.

www.bradshawsdirect.co.uk are about as cheap as any of the usual stores but Ebay seems these days to be selling a whole range of stuff at cheapo prices. Take a look.

I could have done a 1200 Fishmate for £45 :rolleyes: with postage £50

I fish, I catches a few, I lose a few, BUT I enjoys. Anglers Trust PM

eat.gif

http://www.petalsgardencenter.com

Petals Florist

The wife was going to Seapets yesterday, which is another shop that I won't frequent, due to them refusing to change a faulty product for me once.

Anyway, I asked her to see if they have any of those foam filters for the garden pond filter. You know, the black, green and yellow ones?

£50 they wanted for them!!!!!!!

Tania told them that I normally pay about £15.

"They'll be the budget ones, madam. These are a quality product. Hozelock ones"

£50 for three poxy bits of foam? I'd want them to service my car, do the shopping and pay rent at that price :rolleyes:

Anyone know where I can buy normal ones online?

TLC £4.50 or larger size £10.50

I fish, I catches a few, I lose a few, BUT I enjoys. Anglers Trust PM

eat.gif

http://www.petalsgardencenter.com

Petals Florist

Is that for 3?

Anglers' Net Shopping Partners - Please Support Your Forum

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

CLICK HERE for Go Outdoors. HUGE discounts!

FOLLOW ANGLERS' NET ON TWITTER- CLICK HERE - @anglersnet

PLEASE 'LIKE' US ON FACEBOOK - CLICK HERE

does anyone know a source of activated carbon matting 8" x 6" or more ,i have a air scrubber (no not a naughty girl playing an imaginary guitar) but the refill filters cost as much as the dammed machine its self :angry: if i could source cheap crabon matting i could make my own pre filter which is the bit that needs cleaning the most :)

Don't they do carbon filter thingies for cooker hoods ??

Just an idea ..... :P:P

The Older I get .. The better I was.

It's not matting but Hayes Aquatics sell activated carbon granules £13 for one and a half kilos (also smaller amounts)

http://www.hayesaquatics.co.uk/ssl/aspcart...?product_id=325