are jellied eels coming back

barry luxton

I think I'm getting to grips with your point of view Barry. You're frustrated because the EA are imposing ideotic rules over elver harvesting in the west of the country. I'm frustrated because the EA have been systematically introducing non-native fish into the rivers in the east of the country for commercial gain.

And the AT do **** all. Like you, I have no desire to join that organisation.

• Like 1

never try and teach a pig to sing .... it wastes your time and it annoys the pig

My point of view and frustration for ALL anglers is that we have an angling organisation TAT who claims to rep all and govern all, yet when it comes to negotiation, it follows a secular view without mandate to offer up restrictions on anglers that are pointless, non targeted, not fit for purpose, like the eel take ban, the tope take ban reaffirmation, (the rsa conservation rep) went for that one, without rsa consultation btw. At present TAT are working on local restrictions off the sussex coast on both commercial and rsa interests. They shy away from providing facts of stock depletion on that one, because there are none.TAT so called reps, load the gun with some campaign or other to suit their secular ideals, then go hide behind the parapet, while chasing funding for some quaint ideal or other. It's not about anglers and their wants, the main ethos is the funding. They shy away from different opinion, their news releases are sanitised to suit their ideals and singular point of view. The avenue of communication with different opinion and all anglers is carefully set to speak and listen to those who share their limited views. Their bass restriction proposals will be more than interesting. It will probably take the same path as the rest of their 'achievements'.

Funding first

Conservation, (ngo funding) next

Anglers last

I say anglers last as the claim was a while ago now to recruit many thousands of anglers per year, that (funding) failed and so did the recruitment, so it's the case, side up to those ngo's who offer up the pennies without the wants and needs of anglers by means of consultation. The freshwater angling problem created is now at their forefront of importance is the huge increase in fish theft and poaching. TAT have been paid thousands to address the problem, yet it appears to be on the increase, with the need to recruit many hundreds more 'volunteers'. Meetings arranged to hear their proposals, pay your £25 quid each first though. The question on that one, who's providing TAT the funding to run the volunteers, following the freshwater take ban, including eels.

TAT rsa rep, the one and only, has a journalist background, yet first and foremost he supports all manner of conservation orgs as his title given is conservation manager. All rsa must fall into line with that one, or your looked down on and spoken down to. Yet in addition his other job description is the one and only rsa rep. The likes of the nffo and even the underten commercial orgs are streets ahead, they should be taking leafs out of their books, speaking and working with them to get the powers to be dancing to the tune that suits all.

Free to choose apart from the ones where the trust poked their nose in. Common eel. tope. Bass and sea bream. All restricted.

New for 2016 TAT are the main instigators for the demise of the u k bass charter boat industry, where they went screaming off to parliament and for the first time assisting so called angling gurus set up bass take bans with the e u using rubbish exaggerated info collected by ices from anglers, they must be very proud.

Upgrade, the door has been closed with regards to anglers being linked to the e u superstate and the failed c f p. So TAT will no longer need to pay monies to the EAA anymore as that org is no longer relevant to the u k . Goodbye to the europeon anglers alliance and pathetic restrictions from the e u.

Angling is better than politics, ban politics from angling.

Consumer of bass. where is the evidence that the u k bass stock need angling trust protection. Why won't you work with your peers instead of castigating them. They have the answer.

Recipie's for mullet stew more than welcomed.

Angling sanitation trust and kent and sussex sea anglers org delete's and blocks rsa's alternative opinion on their face book site. Although they claim to rep all.

new for 2014. where is the evidence that the south coast bream stock need the angling trust? Your campaign has no evidence. Why won't you work with your peers, the inshore under tens? As opposed to alienating them? Angling trust failed big time re bait digging, even fish legal attempted to intervene and failed, all for what, nothing.

Looks like the sea angling reps have been coerced by the ifca's to compose sea angling strategy's that the ifca's at some stage will look at drafting into legislation to manage the rsa, because they like wasting tax payers money. That's without asking the rsa btw. You know who you are..

My point of view and frustration for ALL anglers is that we have an angling organisation TAT

Who are TAT? I've just googled it, but drawn a blank

Edited by andy_youngs

never try and teach a pig to sing .... it wastes your time and it annoys the pig

'the angling trust', weren't my idea btw. :D

Free to choose apart from the ones where the trust poked their nose in. Common eel. tope. Bass and sea bream. All restricted.

New for 2016 TAT are the main instigators for the demise of the u k bass charter boat industry, where they went screaming off to parliament and for the first time assisting so called angling gurus set up bass take bans with the e u using rubbish exaggerated info collected by ices from anglers, they must be very proud.

Upgrade, the door has been closed with regards to anglers being linked to the e u superstate and the failed c f p. So TAT will no longer need to pay monies to the EAA anymore as that org is no longer relevant to the u k . Goodbye to the europeon anglers alliance and pathetic restrictions from the e u.

Consumer of bass. where is the evidence that the u k bass stock need angling trust protection. Why won't you work with your peers instead of castigating them. They have the answer.

Angling sanitation trust and kent and sussex sea anglers org delete's and blocks rsa's alternative opinion on their face book site. Although they claim to rep all.

new for 2014. where is the evidence that the south coast bream stock need the angling trust? Your campaign has no evidence. Why won't you work with your peers, the inshore under tens? As opposed to alienating them? Angling trust failed big time re bait digging, even fish legal attempted to intervene and failed, all for what, nothing.

Looks like the sea angling reps have been coerced by the ifca's to compose sea angling strategy's that the ifca's at some stage will look at drafting into legislation to manage the rsa, because they like wasting tax payers money. That's without asking the rsa btw. You know who you are..

Doh ... OK, bit of a Homer Simpson moment there. I think my immediate concern is that there seems to be no central transparent register which records the numbers of fish that are artificially stocked into our freshwater waterways. If my holiday plans materialise, then I will be visiting the Tyne catchment shortly to fish for salmon (or possibly barbel). This is a river system which has historically boasted both a barbel population and a salmon population. What I'd really like to know is to what extent the elevation of this catchment to the most profilic salmon fishery in England is a result of artificial stocking.

I think this is vital information, that every taxpayer should want to find out.

I made a freedom of information request to the EA a few years ago, and the answer came back that there is no central register for fish introductions.

So I then made a freedom of information request to the Government. I did eventually get a reply from the fisheries minister, George Eustace, but quite frankly it came at a stage in the negotiation when I was so fed up with the whole business that I have not persued it.

That might change .....

• Like 1

hum, you won't hear that argument from TAT regarding low salmon stocks, that's not even on their radar. A week or so ago, TAT reported a salmon stock crash and if you read their spiel on their web site, it's the nets men who get the blame for the predicament of the stock, along with farmers and water co's. No mention of alien fish stocks. You can also look at their alien invaders suggestions and the only thing that they have on he menu is killer shrimp, plants, didn't see any particular fish monsters apart from the top mouth, that hasn't been suggested in the salmon crash.

So either your argument is not of sufficient to worry, or the tax payer is being duped into concentrating minds and cash into a TAT solution that is not targeted, nor fit for purpose.

http://anglingtrust.net/news.asp?section=29&sectionTitle=Angling+Trust+News&itemid=2247

http://anglingtrust.net/page.asp?section=649&sectionTitle=Invasive+Non%2DNative+Species

Edited by barry luxton

hum, you won't hear that argument from TAT regarding low salmon stocks, that's not even on their radar. A week or so ago, TAT reported a salmon stock crash and if you read their spiel on their web site, it's the nets men who get the blame for the predicament of the stock, along with farmers and water co's. No mention of alien fish stocks. You can also look at their alien invaders suggestions and the only thing that they have on he menu is killer shrimp, plants, didn't see any particular fish monsters apart from the top mouth, that hasn't been suggested in the salmon crash.

So either your argument is not of sufficient to worry, or the tax payer is being duped into concentrating minds and cash into a TAT solution that is not targeted, nor fit for purpose.

http://anglingtrust.net/news.asp?section=29&sectionTitle=Angling+Trust+News&itemid=2247

http://anglingtrust.net/page.asp?section=649&sectionTitle=Invasive+Non%2DNative+Species

I think the real concern, is that there are a great many anglers out there that confuse conservation with artificial stocking of freshwater game fish such as salmon, trout, barbel etc.

They assume (not unreasonably) that because they suddenly start catching more, or bigger, fish, then that must logically indicate a healthier ecology.

But of course, this is a smokescreen.

For me, one of the saddest consequences has been the national recognition of a record wild barbel of 21lb 1oz from the Upper Ouse. But that is not a wild fish, and it robs our children of the opporturnity to try and outwit a worthy quarry on its own terms: all the mystic is gone: the only way to catch a fish like that these days is to grow it in a stock pond.

I'm very sad, I'm very concerned, and I hope very much that it doesn't happen to the atlantic salmon.

Edited by andy_youngs

• 1 month later...

The most worrying thing is the ignorance of some conservationists. We have a local reserve warden who thinks the eels that are caught in the Fleet(behind Chesil Beach) are born there. He has only been a warden there for 40 years!

• Like 1

https://www.harbourbridgelakes.com/

Pisces mortui solum cum flumine natant

You get more bites on Anglers Net

The most worrying thing is the ignorance of some conservationists. We have a local reserve warden who thinks the eels that are caught in the Fleet(behind Chesil Beach) are born there. He has only been a warden there for 40 years!

:hammer: And he's probably not alone. :hammer:

:clap3: Have you received your survey from the AT yet? Not enough space to list everything that's wrong. got it again this morning after I'd filled it in last night but when I replied to them, my email bounced back, about par for the course. :hammer: