small baitrunner?

Kappa

Have a look at the Okuma epix pro 30. I have one of these and there brilliant. The Okuma carbonite reminds me of another okuma which admittidly was at the cheap end. This was a good little reel but sufferd from bale arm problems. Eventualy i lost a spring which ruined the reel the good sice the spools fitted the epix.

I'd fully agree with what grumpy said about the Okuma Epix pro (assuming that their smaller versions are of the same standard - I've had a couple of the big '65s' for quite a few years and they are still going strong, despite spending much of their life in saltwater use!

Back to the question of small baitrunners: last year, for the first time, I bought into the Shimano baitrunner range ... I needed a couple of reels of that generic type and they were on offer at a price that was hard to refuse - tie that to the Shimano reputation, and I bought them. They seemed OK 'out of the box', but I never lost the feeling that they also felt very inconsequential, i.e. no real substance to them and very 'plastic'.

At that point, I'd been vaguely aware - and interested - in a range of reels available from Penn, which offered a baitrunner-type facility, and a drag system with a reputation beyond reproach ... they upgraded that range (I think it was early this year, from a UK perspective), and it's now available as the Spinfisher V LL range ('LL' being 'Live Liner' - their angle on a baitrunner) ... and I made a point of getting my hands on one for a closer look.

Therein lies the first problem; although they ARE available in the UK, it appears that dealers who actually stock them are as rare as hens teeth, which is a shame as the reels are brilliant - far better in every respect than the Shimanos.

I ended up buying the SSV 4500 LL - actually, they were so good I bought FOUR of them while I had access to stock - they really ARE that impressive. At this size they are much more compact than I anticipated - I'm not saying they are tiny by any means (they're not much bigger than the old Mitchell 300's - a reel most people are familiar with, I guess?) ... and I was looking for something that would be able to take the place of Shimano Baitrunners (6000's and 10000's).

The level of workmanship on the reels is outstanding - I've certainly never used a smoother reel - and line-lay is excellent. They feel very, VERY solid, but not heavy, if that make sense - they're quite compact remember, but you feel as though you actually have something in your hand that was properly engineered from metal rather than fabricated from plastic - the supplied metal spools show a capacity of 300 yards of 8lb line / 200 yards of 30lb braid.

The drag system? Feels 100% smooth and strong enough to stop a seal - I'd back it to stop ANY freshwater fish in the UK, when on an appropriate rod with line of a decent BS - even at this size they're capable of exerting a huge 25lbs of drag pressure!

The Shimanos are now long-gone. It's difficult to describe the difference in words; anyone who has played with one of the current generation of new sub - £50 centrepins, then handled a Kingpin, Adcock etc will know what I'm trying to get at, hopefully?

At this size, I'd happily put them onto a feeder rod, and equally confidently fasten them to a 3lb TC rod looking for BIG carp / pike etc

Negatives? Potentially two, to be honest. First, they will not backwind, and that won't suit everyone. The drag system is superb - I'd go so far as to say flawless - , and they are designed to be used that way, with the drag being used for its intended purpose. The second problem? You REALLY need to have one in your hand to fully grasp what it is I'm trying to convey, and finding one actually in stock at a dealer is nigh-on impossible; that said, if you DO get to handle one, I suspect very strongly that Shimanos will always feel a bit 'tinny' afterwards.

Edited by philocalist

The more expensive shimmy's are still top of the baitrunner tree imo. I bought my friend a pair six months ago for his birthday, these ....

http://www.leightackle.co.uk/product/3003/Shimano_Super_Baitrunner_XTR_RA_Reel

They are quality and feel solid as a rock but they're not small or cheap so not what Rich wants. All i'm saying is that shimano still make top quality gear but it isn't cheap. I suppose it's as the old sdaying goes..."you get what you pay for".

Rich, how much are you hoping to spend?

I was originally thinking not too much but I need a couple of decent deals that will last. I'm beginning to think I should get some decent shimanos.

Rich

Rich

...mine is the superior one with more BBs .

:bleh::bleh: I do like the Mitchell Avorunner reels, even Tescos sell them now at £40. Not the most trendy brand thesedays but they're well put together and nice to use.

It's never a 'six', let's put it back

:bleh::bleh: I do like the Mitchell Avorunner reels, even Tescos sell them now at £40. Not the most trendy brand thesedays but they're well put together and nice to use.

Agreed they are good reels ,how are your inferior breathable waders without a waterproof pocket doing?? smugness face

We are not putting it back it is a lump now put that curry down and go and get the scales

have I told you abouit the cruise control on my Volvo ,,,,,,,bla bla bla Barder rod has it come yet?? and don`t even start me on Chris Lythe :bleh::icecream:

I was originally thinking not too much but I need a couple of decent deals that will last. I'm beginning to think I should get some decent shimanos.

Rich

The 2500 Shimanos with the fighting drag are also perfect for chubbing, roach and perch fishing and are man enough for tench and carp too, if needed. I have one, I need another! Just working out which model I can justify...!

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music