small baitrunner?

Kappa

One of the main reason I like the older baitrunners so much is that they're so much better than the current ones; that doesn't seen to be the case with the better spec fighting drag reels.

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

They have no switch for the anti-reverse?

I would assume that being Penn and having a name "Live liner" they are intended for hard fighting sea species.

The last thing you need when playing a Tarpon, GT, tuna etc is to accidently knock the anti reverse off when a fish is running - broken wrist time :cry:

RUDD

Different floats for different folks!

I would assume that being Penn and having a name "Live liner" they are intended for hard fighting sea species.

The last thing you need when playing a Tarpon, GT, tuna etc is to accidently knock the anti reverse off when a fish is running - broken wrist time :cry:

Yep - just about sums it up. They are indeed primarilt marketed as a sea reel - which in turn makes them just about bomb-proof around freshwater, and in the smaller sizes they are an extremely compact, solid-feeling reel ... and nope - no switch :-)

One of the main reason I like the older baitrunners so much is that they're so much better than the current ones; that doesn't seen to be the case with the better spec fighting drag reels.

I have some of the older stradic x's made in japan which are very highly thought and many people prefer them to the later models. I also have one of the later but not the latest ones also and I like it a lot. I actually like them all and I don't think there's been a bad model of the stradic reel yet. A friend of mine bought the latest version a few months back and I thought it looked and felt spot on. These later ones even have the spool lips champherd to allow the line to flow from the reel without friction....nice little touch.

I've had a couple of the older Shimo Super GTs for many years and highly recommend them. I chose this model over the Stradic as it had a lower gear ratio.

Wingham Specimen Coarse & Carp Syndicates www.winghamfisheries.co.uk Beautiful, peaceful, little fished gravel pit syndicates in Kent with very big fish. 2017 Forum Fish-In Sat May 6 to Mon May 8. Articles http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/steveburke.htm Index of all my articles on Angler's Net

I've used these: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEW-Map-Carptek-ACS-4000FS-Reel-/380736737868?pt=UK_SportsLeisure_Fishing_Reels_JN&hash=item58a5ad924c for the last couple of years.

The ACS line clip is very good if you fish clipped up.

Smile they said life could get worse, I did and it was

Tigger, they do seem to be a bit if a marmite reel and you are not the first person who has said they shifted them on sharpish. Actually I bought mine second hand from ebay as used only a few times. I agree they dont feel like the better made older Shimanos but I love the size and weight of them and I am still very keen on front drag reels. As a teenager I could not afford bait runners but could afford cheap front drag reels which I used for Carp fishing with the drag turned right down. I just have never lost that desire to use the front drag.

For the general price point they tick all the right box's for me but I do have that question mark around how long they will last.

I agree that they don't feel as solid as the older reels, but mine's done about 3 seasons now and still runs like it just came out of the box.

One to look for (now discontinued) is the Okuma Polycast 30. They're also front drag, but unlike the bottom of range Shimano 2500s they came with 3 alloy spools and feel like they're built to run forever. They don't seem to turn up on Ebay very often, and I'm not surprised - who would want to part with them?

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
Edited by robtherake

"The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the source of all true art and all science. He to whom this emotion is a stranger, who can no longer pause to wonder and stand rapt in awe, is as good as dead: his eyes are closed."

The two best times to go fishing are when it's raining and when it's not