Berkeley braid is double the stated diameter!

robtherake

I bought some 45lb Whiplash braid for piking duties. Diameter on the spool is stated as 0.15mm; the chart from The Tacklebox doesn't have a figure for this strength, but the 30lb (claimed to be 0.10mm) is measured as 0.26mm!

Extrapolating from the information in the chart, you'd expect the 45lb braid to measure around 0.30mm. Comparing it (by eye) to some Berkeley mono, measured by The Tacklebox at 0.30mm, bears this out.

I fail to understand how such a (presumably) reputable firm can get it so wrong; is it deliberate? Can't get my head round it...no wonder it was discounted. :thumbdown:

"The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the source of all true art and all science. He to whom this emotion is a stranger, who can no longer pause to wonder and stand rapt in awe, is as good as dead: his eyes are closed."

Are the Berkley figures in metric or imperial? Last time I looked, if Berkley stuff said 0.1 it was 0.1 of an inch

Edited by ayjay

Is it measured in metric or imperial and also has this braid a flat or oval profile: if it has it is quite common to state the measurement of the thinnest side.

Smile they said life could get worse, I did and it was

Good questions. Yes, Ayjay, it's metric; that's the first thing that came to mind. Gary, it's 4 strand, so not the roundest, in fact under a magnifying lens it does appear to have an oval profile. So you're right.

Very sneaky of them. The Tacklebox must have measured the profile at its widest point; Berkeley, as you'd expect, at the shortest.

"The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the source of all true art and all science. He to whom this emotion is a stranger, who can no longer pause to wonder and stand rapt in awe, is as good as dead: his eyes are closed."