New / old computer.

Sportsman

The PC that I use for work died on me the other day and I needed a quick replacement. I didn't really want to buy an expensive windows PC as I really want an Apple laptop for personal use. The only reason that I needed a replacement windows pc is that the software I use (Serif) doesn't work on Mac.

I sourced an old Dell workstation (Precision 690) with 2 X 3ghz dual core processors and 8Gb of RAM running Win 7 64bit. for not much money, which should do what I want, i.e. Word processing and image editing with a little light gaming (World Golf) when I am bored.

I am assuming that I can take the Video card and hard drive out of my old machine and drop it into the new one. I was using Win 7 on my old machine so don't anticipate any problems (unless you know differently).

How can I tell what RAM was in the old machine? I have 2X2gb sticks but I can't remember if they are DDR2 or DDR3 What would happen if I put them into the spare slots in the Dell (DDR2) and they turn out to be wrong? Would they just not work or cause an expensive mess?

Anyone used one of these old Dell workstations? What should I expect.

Thanks

Dave

Let's agree to respect each others views, no matter how wrong yours may be.

Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity

http://www.safetypublishing.co.uk/
http://www.safetypublishing.ie/

The dell will take ddr2 and any pcie x16 video card. From what I can make out from the original spec sheets.

Ram wise: if it's ddr3 you have it simply won't fit.

Some motherboards require specific ram configs to achieve ram sizes...4 gig might require 4 1 gig chips or 2 single sided chips etc.

It will be trial and error I'm afraid but the good news is that you won't harm anything, it will just fail to boot or not recognise all the ram you plugged in.