Edonkey

Guest @AUTUMN@

As Si says Emule is by far the better ED2K client. Personally I use Emule Plus http://emuleplus.info/

The beauty of emule/e-donkey is that it doesn't rely on one server (like SoulSeek) & can therefore not 'be shutdown'

It's by far the most established P2P network & is great for archive files as well as new ones.

Also try some of these websites:

http://www.fileheaven.org/forum/

http://forum.fu<delete>cktheinter.net/index.php

http://www.p2ptv.co.uk/main_index.html

I've been using E-donkey/emule for years, so if you need any further help, feel free to reply or send me a PM :)

FearTheHands.gif

Knowing my luck if I were a buddhist I'd come back as myself ...

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't get it. Is it safe or not safe to download stuff?

Depends on what you mean by safe ;)

If you only download then you can`t get done for sharing.

If you use an anonymous proxy, then yes its safe

Basically you connect to a remote server then you connect to the sites/p2p servers therefore masking your true IP address with the remote servers.

so its like this

Your PC >>>>>> Remote Server (anonymous proxy) >>>>>> site

127.0.0.1 >>>>>>> 99.99.99.99 >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> The site see`s not the 127.0.0.1 it only see`s 99.99.99.99 and therefore thinks that, that is your IP address

If you only download then you can`t get done for sharing.

Not true - by the very nature of how Edonkey works you are sharing the file as soon as you have the first part of it. Edonkey breaks a file down into multiple parts (a bit like WinRAR splits files into parts for you) & it's these parts you download from each individual user, you cannot just 'leach' from the edonkey network. So you ARE sharing the file as soon as you actively start downloading it.

Any P2P program does not mean you HAVE to download copyrighted material. Many legitimate 'shareware' files are freely & legally available on P2P networks, in fact some download websites like download.com & tucows have links to files shared on P2P networs like Edonkey, Bittorrent etc ...

FearTheHands.gif

Basically you connect to a remote server then you connect to the sites/p2p servers therefore masking your true IP address with the remote servers.

so its like this

Your PC >>>>>> Remote Server (anonymous proxy) >>>>>> site

127.0.0.1 >>>>>>> 99.99.99.99 >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> The site see`s not the 127.0.0.1 it only see`s 99.99.99.99 and therefore thinks that, that is your IP address

Thanks Si, I have used Edonkey/Emule in the past. Is connection to a remote server an option on Edonkey or does it require some other slight of hand ?

'I've got a mind like a steel wassitsname'

In order to have access to the edonkey network you have to connect to an edonkey server - you cannot connect via a third party proxy server.

In fact edonkey needs direct access to a specific port, if this is refused you will get what is called a 'LowID' which will restrict your access to shared files from other users across the network.

You can change your port settings in options in case your ISP is being naughty & blocking certain ports

FearTheHands.gif