Living the good life !

Norfolkdipper

Woah, sounds like quiet some project. Like others I would question just how much work can get done in a work party even by a big team. Even established fisheries need numerous work parties every year just to keep them going.

The fishery side sounds like a labour of love but from a business point of view could be distracting you from the real business of the land/farm. It might sound a little harsh but can't you get access to miles of dykes and rivers in that part of the world on yearly tickets for very little cash? So I struggle to see the attraction of why punters will pay £10 a day for access to what is available on club tickets for not much more. Plus river anglers as a rule to tend to enjoy large stretches of water to themselves and so your swim numbers may well work against you. There is also a lot of day ticket still waters that offer reasonable fishing for small day ticket prices all of which are competition for the pond fishing.

I can see why the idea of having a fishery is appealing but even if I could afford to buy one, the level of work involved in setting it up and maintaining it would most likely put me off. Not trying to be negative but in the same situation the fishing side would be bottom of my priority list after absolutely everything else.

Stephen

Species Caught 2014

Zander, Pike, Bream, Roach, Tench, Perch, Rudd, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Eel, Grayling, Brown Trout, Rainbow Trout

Species Caught 2013

Pike, Zander, Bream, Roach, Eel, Tench, Rudd, Perch, Common Carp, Koi Carp, Brown Goldfish, Grayling, Brown Trout, Chub, Roosterfish, Dorado, Black Grouper, Barracuda, Mangrove Snapper, Mutton Snapper, Jack Crevalle, Tarpon, Red Snapper

Species Caught 2012
Zander, Pike, Perch, Chub, Ruff, Gudgeon, Dace, Minnow, Wels Catfish, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Ghost Carp, Roach, Bream, Eel, Rudd, Tench, Arapaima, Mekong Catfish, Sawai Catfish, Marbled Tiger Catfish, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Thai Redtail Catfish, Batrachian Walking Catfish, Siamese Carp, Rohu, Julliens Golden Prize Carp, Giant Gourami, Java Barb, Red Tailed Tin Foil Barb, Nile Tilapia, Black Pacu, Red Bellied Pacu, Alligator Gar
Species Caught 2011
Zander, Tench, Bream, Chub, Barbel, Roach, Rudd, Grayling, Brown Trout, Salmon Parr, Minnow, Pike, Eel, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Ghost Carp, Koi Carp, Crucian Carp, F1 Carp, Blue Orfe, Ide, Goldfish, Brown Goldfish, Comet Goldfish, Golden Tench, Golden Rudd, Perch, Gudgeon, Ruff, Bleak, Dace, Sergeant Major, French Grunt, Yellow Tail Snapper, Tom Tate Grunt, Clown Wrasse, Slippery Dick Wrasse, Doctor Fish, Graysby, Dusky Squirrel Fish, Longspine Squirrel Fish, Stripped Croaker, Leather Jack, Emerald Parrot Fish, Red Tail Parrot Fish, White Grunt, Bone Fish
Species Caught 2010
Zander, Pike, Perch, Eel, Tench, Bream, Roach, Rudd, Mirror Carp, Common Carp, Crucian Carp, Siamese Carp, Asian Redtail Catfish, Sawai Catfish, Rohu, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Pacu, Long Tom, Moon Wrasse, Sergeant Major, Green Damsel, Tomtate Grunt, Sea Chub, Yellowtail Surgeon, Black Damsel, Blue Dot Grouper, Checkered Sea Perch, Java Rabbitfish, One Spot Snapper, Snubnose Rudderfish
Species Caught 2009
Barramundi, Spotted Sorubim Catfish, Wallago Leeri Catfish, Wallago Attu Catfish, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Mrigul, Siamese Carp, Java Barb, Tarpon, Wahoo, Barracuda, Skipjack Tuna, Bonito, Yellow Eye Rockfish, Red Snapper, Mangrove Snapper, Black Fin Snapper, Dog Snapper, Yellow Tail Snapper, Marble Grouper, Black Fin Tuna, Spanish Mackerel, Mutton Snapper, Redhind Grouper, Saddle Grouper, Schoolmaster, Coral Trout, Bar Jack, Pike, Zander, Perch, Tench, Bream, Roach, Rudd, Common Carp, Golden Tench, Wels Catfish
Species Caught 2008
Dorado, Wahoo, Barracuda, Bonito, Black Fin Tuna, Long Tom, Sergeant Major, Red Snapper, Black Damsel, Queen Trigga Fish, Red Grouper, Redhind Grouper, Rainbow Wrasse, Grey Trigger Fish, Ehrenbergs Snapper, Malabar Grouper, Lunar Fusiler, Two Tone Wrasse, Starry Dragonet, Convict Surgeonfish, Moonbeam Dwarf Angelfish,Bridled Monocle Bream, Redlined Triggerfish, Cero Mackeral, Rainbow Runner
Species Caught 2007
Arapaima, Alligator Gar, Mekong Catfish, Spotted Sorubim Catfish, Pacu, Siamese Carp, Barracuda, Black Fin Tuna, Queen Trigger Fish, Red Snapper, Yellow Tail Snapper, Honeycomb Grouper, Red Grouper, Schoolmaster, Cubera Snapper, Black Grouper, Albacore, Ballyhoo, Coney, Yellowfin Goatfish, Lattice Spinecheek

Hopefully you dont think anyones poopooing your ideas but anything can be done eventually but i doubt the fishing side could make you any money after the work you describe unless your a very young person .

Even using the land for camping wouldnt bring in much ,both of the major clubs advertise CL's which are just a field ,water and a method of getting rid of poo ,trouble is most are less than a fiver a night .

Ok for little outlay but you need decent dry land and flat would be nice so the buggers can get in and out .

To make more money you need more facilities which is more outlay but bigger income but then that means staff etc.

Unfortunately to make land pay is hard thats why there is so much of it unused today.

I would though love to be in your shoes but not in your wallet

A commercial fishery may work but you need facilities even then ,a full time worker at least ,parking etc but remember even here in the south you can join a club for well under 2 quid a week and they may have many waters so to get the punters boy your going to have to buy some special fish to entice them in

You could raise some cash by charging entry to chicago ron and his detectorists from over the pond but fifty acres may be a little small but perhaps a one off if its not been detected in the past via "weekend wanderers" (a group that organise such things) to get some cash in at least

Edited by chesters1

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

costs of extending waters can grow rapidly and also problems of spoil these are good reading starting points and contacts for budding fishery owners

http://www.environment-agency.gov.uk/static/documents/Business/construction__eng_171152.pdf

http://www.defra.gov.uk/aahm/files/Guide-Fishery-Habitat.pdf

http://www.environment-agency.gov.uk/static/documents/Business/stocking__eng_172017.pdf

Azree

Let us see rather that like Janus—or better, like Yama, the Brahmin god of death—religion has two faces, one very friendly, one very gloomy...” Arthur Schopenhaur

You need to break this project down into manageable chunks, in short you need a project plan which takes into account labour, machinery, permissions, weather and most importantly finances. Once you look at it in real detail you’ll find that the duration of the work will be a lot longer than you thought but that’s not a bad thing, much better to start off knowing how long it’ll take (and also knowing when you’ll have to put things on hold) than working to unrealistic timescales.

Kick off with getting all of the permissions in place or at least knowing what the relevant authorities will need for them to grant permission for you to do things. As regards the construction (because that’s what it is) access is the first thing to consider, all of the activities you’ve listed need people and/or machinery to get somewhere. Where do you need to get to with either vehicles or loads of poor volunteers with wheelbarrows, this will be largely dictated by what’s coming in or going off the site and what spoil is staying there. You’ll then be able to figure out whether you need to construct permanent tracks or some sort of temporary arrangement, even the smallest dumper truck will chew up the ground in short order if it’s driving about all day.

Don’t under estimate the importance of a plan, it looks like a huge task but once you get it all down on paper, or probably Microsoft Project, you’ll be able to see how all the required resources fit together.

Best of luck with it, I’m quite envious.

• Like 1

It's never a 'six', let's put it back

fantasy or reel yah?

Azree

Let us see rather that like Janus—or better, like Yama, the Brahmin god of death—religion has two faces, one very friendly, one very gloomy...” Arthur Schopenhaur

ThIs is purely a flight of fantasy, I have looked at the site , listened to the fishing plans , the plans for food production etc. and have concluded Norfolk Dipper needs to lie down in a darkened room -- It is not even under offer or sold subject to contract --draw your own conclusions . The pond is a puddle , and why anyone would pay £ 10 to fish a dyke off the River Yare baffles me . Any fish naturally entering a dyke , crossing Rockland Broad and deciding to reside in this dyke would be a no go .If you think I am being unfair just remember the 3 yard pegging . Sorry to be such a downer , but if you really were able to offer more than £1,000,000 it would be better spent elsewhere .Prove me wrong and I will give you a few days labour for free.

Thats a little unfair ,dreaming is fine and i think that seeing reality out in the open is far better before starting than having it kick you up the bum down the line after spending money on what could be a money pit.

As i said nothing is impossible through hard work and oodles of cash but making the land pay is very hard thats why most around here is scrubland ,farmers appear to be paid for not doing anything thats why we import most of our food

It can be done so i would ask that polish? Guy in cornwall how he did his fishery (zig?is it?) but did it exist as a fishery before he bought it or was it solely constructed from nothing and how much did his dream cost and will it ever break even is more pertinent

Edited by chesters1

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson