Rush Creek Photos

severus

A few photos taken behind my home. This one I took back in May right after these mallard ducklings hatched.

post-4753-1130468651_thumb.jpg

King salmon in the act of spawning. They prefer gravel bottoms with swift running water. The little male at right waits for an opportunity to dart in and do his thing before one of the big males chases him off. It's quite funny to watch, actually. The little guys are very persistent.

post-4753-1130468991_thumb.jpg

Be good and you will be lonely.
~ Mark Twain

The light colored hole is perhaps a foot deep and was excavated exclusively by salmon within an afternoon - I came home and there it was. Anyone who has ever shoveled gravel knows how difficult it can be, and these fish did it using only their tails. The bottoms of many fish are torn to shreds in the process.

post-4753-1130469383_thumb.jpg

I managed to catch one female this fall, but she was nearly spawned out. The eggs I did get will be used as whitefish bait later on this year.

OK, that's it. No more slideshow. :blink:

~ Mark Twain

Like the fish photos Severus and that mallard will be one busy mother- did I count 12 chicks :o

Fishing digs on the Mull of Galloway - recommend

HERE

babyforavatar.jpg

Me when I had hair

Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy

Thanks for the little insight to your part of the world Sev, perhaps a series of the same spot throughout the year??

Den

"When through the woods and forest glades I wanderAnd hear the birds sing sweetly in the trees;When I look down from lofty mountain grandeur,And hear the brook, and feel the breeze;and see the waves crash on the shore,Then sings my soul..................

for all you Spodders. https://youtu.be/XYxsY-FbSic

Thanks for the little insight to your part of the world Sev, perhaps a series of the same spot throughout the year??

Den

Thats a great idea, and it would be nice to see the changes thoughout the year.....thanks for shareing with us and i love the salmon pics :D

You can view my photo album @.... olliejays photo album

Nice one. I have a policy of not feeding the ducks on my boat but mallard chicks have me running around looking for the last of the sandwiches to share with them. Have you noticed that whilst mum usually hangs back, the chicks are absolutely fearless ?

'I've got a mind like a steel wassitsname'

Den

OK, but be forewarned that my photographic abilities are not as good as some AN members who post. ;) I spot kingfishers, herons, and pileated woodpeckers from time to time, so this will give me an excuse to get their picture.

Another duck photo. Not sure if this was the same family.

post-4753-1130500316_thumb.jpg

This fellow was lounging in the thickets beyond the creek one mid-winter afternoon early this year. I see fox from time to time, but haven't as yet seen a coyote here, although I've seen them nearby.

post-4753-1130500699_thumb.jpg

~ Mark Twain