Last Weekend In October

John E Ashford

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi folks,

Home early... Still good though :D Tonight the rain was horizontal and as we had caught a few fish we decided to just come home :rolleyes: lightwieghts i know :rolleyes:

Started off at banawe quarry on friday eve, just for a mess catching a few dogs and whities. Friday night when the tide was low enough we went searching the shallow beaches and fished a new place. I mised runs on my 1st three casts before my pal had a spur and thornie. 2 hours of fairly steady fishing getting about half a doz Spurs apiece passed, Then tiredness got the better of us and we went for a sleep. Today we went to one of etives deeper marks and had a good day. We had 20 Spurs between us, biggest 5lb for me, plus a few dogges.

All in good weather, but at the end, as if from no-where these massive water spouts/whirlwind thingies (???) started appearing. Just like mini tornadoes, was well cool especialy as one made landfall on our stance sending everything not nailed down airborne B)

When the rain started battering we feked off

Tight Lines

Shaun

Arrived at Pakefield about 3.15 and we were fishing by 3.30. High tide was around 8pm. Baits were rag and squid.

Only 1 bite up until 6.30pm and that resulted in the tiniest pin whiting ever.

1 hour before high tide we moved up the beach slightly to our preffered spot and it was hectic action from 7pm-8.30pm. A bite every cast and whiting after whiting came ashore. We were putting on big baits for the cod (4 rag and 2 squid) but the whiting were grabbing them before the cod could (if there were any out there) Ended up with 16 whiting in the end, great fun and all returned.

I missed a decent cod take while taking a whizz, which was a bit annoying but that's how it goes!

PICT0003.jpg

It ended up being a perfect night though, fireworks, shooting stars and the rod tips rattling, great stuff!!

Dan

Had a poor day from the shore yesterday, blaming the Easterly Winds (have to blame something) ... had two LSD (1lb 13oz & 1lb 15oz ..... always throw on scales before putting them back) ... small Whiting were a real problem, shredding big baits in seconds .... my pal was casting Mackerel Flys out to see if he could get any Mackerel, he did get 2 ...but almost every cast was bringing in 2-3 small Whiting if he bounced them along the bottom.

My pals catch was better than mine, a plump Flounder of 1lb and a small Thornback with a stumpy tail.

Cold wind and rain eventually got the best of us - so packed it in.

Gillies

tha fis agam a bhe iasg nuth dunidh sasain!

www.gilliesmackenzie.com

"Probably do a 'Dawn raid' for bass early Sat or Sun morning."

Didn't happen. :( Went to bed Friday night feeling awfull, woke up Saturday morning feeling worse. Bird flu possibly - or more likely Man flu - it would have to be something that serious to keep me from fishing.

DON'T PANIC

Fished Loch Ken under bad conditions rising water full

of leaves twigs etc blown off the trees by the heavy wind. When pike fishing I had 3 fish between 6 Lb 1 oz and 7 Lb 15 oz (bloody honest digi scales ;)

When feeder fishing I had a few ruffe the most unusual one being stuck in the cage feeder but not on the hook !!

Just in case any of the pike-police read this I was not fishing for pike and bream at the same time , honest :o

Ps Shaun - I can see the bait but where is the fish ??

A bad days fishing is better than a good day at the office. Tight lines all.