Someone Is Listening

M.P

Hello Spanner,

Maybe you meant to say "Not worth many ££££ to any body" which is entirely different. And wrong as well. It might not be worth any ££ to some, i.e. conmmercials,

So the fish we catch is not put to good use then. or are you saying we can survive with out fish on the menue, so sack all the cermmercial fishermen.

I fish to live and live to fish.

• Replies 271
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Nope, I'm not saying that. I love to eat fish and it should be part of a healthy diet, and I want to see a prosperous local fishing community providing that fish for the great unwashed.

But I do think it is wrong to take fish on a purely monetary basis. Only take a sustainable harvest for food and don't feed pigs and run power stations with them. Don't make decisions based on maximising the short term £ in your pocket.

I am saying that leaving fish in the sea to grow old and die is not a waste, but good practice. Bit like leaving a field fallow instead of cropping it every year, it improves the long term yield.

Hello Fishingsfine

There will 'always' be fish on the menu but that is a fact only if overfishing being stopped.

Here we go round and round.

So can you show me where all this overfishing is takeing place? I mean at this moment any where around the UK.

1. By "taking the equivalent of our entire annual landings in a matter of a couple of weeks before moving on elsewhere" , do you mean that they took the equivalent of anglers landings or all local landings, including the local inshore boats?

2. Have any CI familes lost their livelihood because of that team then?

3. From what I can see the countries with the best run fisheries are those where its of serious economic worth and the industry themselves are heavily involved any regulation.

Thanks for your extensive and interesting post Chris.

to answer the above :

1. I meant Guernsey's entire commercial annual landings ! not anglers catches.

2. no, but they are likely to given 1. above if it continues long term unabated.

I accept Jaffas point that they have been doing pair trawling for 25 years - but on this scale ????? surely not. In Dr Pawsons presentation he said that in the early 90's 250/300 tons of bass per year were landed. In 2002, it was nearer 1300 tons due largely to pair trawling - thats almost 5 times more and regardless of nationality, it can't be right that one or two operators take such a large share, mainly at the detriment of local inshore fleets - hence my comment about a quick buck ! let alone the long term effects on stocks, bearing in mind that CEFAS stats are based on fish landed rather than actual stock sampling.

3. I totally agree and while the BMP may not be perfect, it is pointing out that our fisheries are of serious economic worth. For there to be self regulation in the UK there would have to be track record of responsible self restraint before a free hand is given, which is what occurred in those countries i believe.

Guernsey does have UK as well as local fishery protection vessels due to the proximity with Jersey and France, and as stated in my post above the local fleet are showing restraint over these spawning stocks, and are taking us anglers out so we can tag bass for future local studies on stocks, so in a way they are also a role model for the UK. more of it I say.

GB

www.swff.co.uk - Guernsey Saltwater Fly Fishing

Member of B.A.S.S. - www.ukbass.com

Member of NFSA www.nfsa.org.uk

"better to have fished and lost than never fished at all "

So can you show me where all this overfishing is takeing place? I mean at this moment any where around the UK.

LOL .... thats part of the problem wurzel. In many places overfishing is not currently taking place as it was overfished years ago and there are still bu**er all fish years later.

Firth of Clyde and most of the west coast sea lochs .... thats a lot of UK coastline right there.

Currently one longliner, The Apollo, is targeting the remaining pockets of spurdogs in certain lochs .... as a very slow growing fish this has a very big effect on the stock. Not extinct, not wiped out as you like to stress, but severly depleted all the same with just a few small fish remaining.......and it will take decades for that stock to recover. Not due to global warming, changing plankton distribution, competition from other species, but one boat and his disregard for the local economy. OK, I think there are actually 2 boats playing this game, but they are not local boats as the locals know better.

Oh, and before you say it can't be true as he would go bust, he just moves on somewhere else, and moves again, leaving a trail of depletion behind him. Longlining can be sustainable, but only with certain species and in certain locations.

Hello spanner

Oh, and before you say it can't be true as he would go bust, he just moves on somewhere else, and moves again, leaving a trail of depletion behind him. Longlining can be sustainable, but only with certain species and in certain locations.

I have limited knowledge of spur dogs, I do know that they don't stay in one place for long, we used to chase them around the southern north sea for a short time every spring. very frustrateing , they could be 10 miles away in the space of a tide, that would explain why the boats fishing for them are constantly on the move.The trail of depletion you decribe is no more than the fact the shoal has moved on.

I agree there seems to be a problem with the spur dog stock, obviously fishing pressure has had some effect, not so much now though. as you say they are quite slow growing but they are quite prolific breeders, no matter what time of year you caught a large bitch it always seemed full of pups.

They might be on the way back, in the last few weeks I've noticed a few small ones in the sole nets, some thing I have not noticed before.

Here we go round and round.

Can you show me one single Do Do hunter?

And how can you say tigers and rhinos are in danger when they shoot anyone who kills tigers and rhinos?

Can you show me one single house right here and right now in the UK that employs black slaves taken from africa?

And when was the last time you saw a christian thrown to the lions?

In years to come the overfishing of our seas that was done years ago will be seen in the same way.

If you been fishing for more than 20 years wuzel you have done your fair share of the damage.

hello Bob

If you been fishing for more than 20 years wuzel you have done your fair share of the damage.

So in that case I still am, so whats the answer?

The answer is you cant keep denying that there is or was no such thing as overfishing.

You say theres no overfishing.

Like spanner said, thats because it was all done years ago.

It happened and is still happening in some places.

If you keep denying it you will lose any credibilty you have on this forum.

I am sorry Bob, untill some body shows me absolute proof that over fishing is the primary cause of the decline of a certain stock I will continue not to blame over fishing.

I have never said there is no such thing as over fishing. I have a different perception of it than you do.

You say I have done my share of the damage, I'll refrase the question.

What should I have done different and if I had what difference would it have made?