Super Size Sterlets

NetFull

Anyone got any experience keeping Sterlets?

I bought 2 Sterlets about 8 years ago at around 3inches long, well the problem is they just keep on growing :o The larger of the two has reached nearly 3 feet long and im starting to think its too big for the pond.

How big will they grow in a pond? Will they stop growing when they reach the maximum size for the pond as the koi in there seem to have done?

Just found this info which may be of help mate -

Size and Species:

The Sterlet (acipenser ruthenus) is the smallest European sturgeon seen for sale. A maximum size of 4ft and 16 kg , but this is very rare and 2ft ans 1.5 to 2kg is the normal size.

The Diamond sturgeon (acipenser gueldenstaedti) is the second fastest growing European sturgeon and can grow in excess of 8ft. but 4 ft is about the maximum.

The Siberian sturgeon ( acipenser baeri ) is a quick grower and can reach 5 ft but 3-4 ft is more normal.

Looks like they've got another foot to grow yet! :o

Thankyou Judley

When they were put in i thought i would never see them (being a dark colour) and they would just hug the bottom of the pond, but there amongst the friendliest in there. Alway first at feeding time and boy do they eat a lot.

I certainly hope there not diamond sturgeon, then again it would be funny having a fish over 8 feet long in my pond :blink::lol::lol:

I've caught several sturgeon in a lake not too far from here, I think they are diamonds, but they come out at about 12 to 15 lbs.........and about 30 inches long

Just in passing, how old do you have to be to be a full member? I'm 67 years old and a junior? :blink:

Wow a 67 year old junior member. Thats almost as funny as my last trip to America, when my father got asked for ID (proof of age) to buy beer and he's not far from your age :lol:

But seriously

I think that your classed as a junior member untill youve got 10 posts to your name (but dont quote me on that)

assuming they are sterlets they will max out at about 3.5-4ft long

if they are siberian sturgeon (often sold as sterlets/long nose stergeon) they can reach about 6ft (12ft in large open lakes)

i have a siberian that is rapidly outgrowing my pond, last measurement was 22"

heres a link to look at for more info

http://www.sturgeon-web.co.uk/

mack

Edited by macky1

Thanks for that nice link.

It looks like there siberian sturgeon by the pictures (your right they were sold as sterlets :angry: )

Why dont they tell you they grow that big when you buy them? It is a fairly big pond there in estimated 3-4000 gallons but if they keep growing they will have too go. :(

:lol: ANYONE FOR CAVIAR? :lol: