slack line fishing

in-line

hi all

just a quick question

normally when i go fishing i prefer to fish close to snags or under overhanging bushes, and for this i normally fish locked up or i wind down nice and tight to the lead- therefore i get indication the minute anything picks up my bait.

although i know that the banks are undercut and therefore its a good place to present a bait, right along the bank to the left or right. i have tried this previously and had so many line bites its unbelievable, this is because i always wind down tightly to the lead.

what im going to try is slack line fishing and this is what my questions on. i understand the theory behind slack line fishing(line lays along the bottem so therfore its out of the way of the fish.

what i dont get is how to set the indicator should it be on the floor? as this is the only place it will not be pulling the line tight and also if i do get a run a fishing swims towards me how will the indicator register the drop back if its already on the floor?

also as many of the swims contain underwater snags i use leadcore alot.but again if i wind down to the lead surly the leadcore will be sitting up off the lakebed and will be even more obvious than normal mono?

any help would be greatly appriciated (sorry i know its alot of questions and i only said " just a quick question" at the start)

cheers guys

in-line

Slack lining is best done with running leads, that way you can't have a drop back. Then it's safe to have the indicator almost weightless and hanging right down. Other alternatives are float fishing and fishing over depth. Not many people do so now for carp, but it can have its days.

Rob.

well just came back from holiday from devon fishing a lake where it seems the only way to catch the carp was to fish right up against the under cut back,

as rob said try float fishing the problem in my case, although I have had fish to 23lb fishing this way, this year I was only catching small carp about 7lb, tried fishing semi fixed on a tight line same problem, also was not using any form of rod rest.

Well last day of my holiday and having lost quite a few carp in the reeds and under cut backs, very quick fish, lost semi fixed rig due to hooking the bottom, so changed to running rig late on in the day cast out between to trees, about 8 feet apart branches laying on the lake, carp were all around this area stiring up the mud then moving on, again they didn't like the float but the runing rig was cast in about 5 feet from the bank, bait runner on and reel behind my bag, was sitting there, it was getting very windy, looked at the rod it was twitching but looked like it was the wind.

Well i watched this for about 5 mins still twitching this was on a slack line to start with, I notice the line had gone tight,

still no run, by now was fed up and cold, and decided to pack up, so picked the rod up to feel a large weight on the other end no real fight just came straight up of the bottom, made a half hearted run, went straight in the net, to my total shock, it was a 19lb 4oz mirror.

This was on a slack line and a very light ledger. bacon grill bait and halibut pellet feed.