Pond life in January

Norm B

I have about 20 GCN in my Pond and last year was an absolute disaster for them.

I like you have Frogs and Toads in my garden but last year I had no successful spawn at all so no Tadpoles, no food for the Newts of Fish.

Looking forwards to a better year but so far no Frogs or Toads have appeared.

I have about 20 GCN in my Pond and last year was an absolute disaster for them.

I like you have Frogs and Toads in my garden but last year I had no successful spawn at all so no Tadpoles, no food for the Newts of Fish.

Looking forwards to a better year but so far no Frogs or Toads have appeared.

:clap3: Last 2 years no tadpoles so newts ate baby newts. No toads in my garden, GCN's on a downward slide, smooth and palmate newts doing well, despite predation by GCN's, no fish except 1 weather loach. I used to use my "excess" GCN tadpoles to stock local ponds, probably illegal, but my garden and pond can only support so many, three of those ponds have now disappeared, filled in by builders rubble or turned in to a rockery by new owners. :bye2:

:clap3: Last 2 years no tadpoles so newts ate baby newts. No toads in my garden, GCN's on a downward slide, smooth and palmate newts doing well, despite predation by GCN's, no fish except 1 weather loach. I used to use my "excess" GCN tadpoles to stock local ponds, probably illegal, but my garden and pond can only support so many, three of those ponds have now disappeared, filled in by builders rubble or turned in to a rockery by new owners. :bye2:

:clap3: Update tonight, now 2 male GCN's attending 1 female, hopefully another female will turn up, if not please send any spare females round my way. :clap3:

• 2 weeks later...

:clap3: Update tonight, now 2 male GCN's attending 1 female, hopefully another female will turn up, if not please send any spare females round my way. :clap3:

:clap3: Update last night as the wind had dropped, now 3 male GCN's attending lone female, a few more frogs turned up, found 1 dead on the bottom, no injuries so not cats, seemed healthy, apart from being dead. :clap3:

:clap3: Update last night as the wind had dropped, now 3 male GCN's attending lone female, a few more frogs turned up, found 1 dead on the bottom, no injuries so not cats, seemed healthy, apart from being dead. Probably drowned due to gang bang, too many males, not enough females. :clap3:

Norm,

I've enjoyed the obvious passion you have for your pond and creatures in it. Is a GCN a "Great Crested Newt"? You never say.

Phone

Yes, a GCN is a great crested newt, awesome to watch, just throw them a worm, and watch. I need a couple more females or they'll die out as the gene pool will be weak. :clap3:

• 4 weeks later...

:clap3: Update last night as the wind had dropped, now 3 male GCN's attending lone female, a few more frogs turned up, found 1 dead on the bottom, no injuries so not cats, seemed healthy, apart from being dead. Probably drowned due to gang bang, too many males, not enough females. :clap3:

:clap3: After the recent spell of warm weather I now have about 20 frogs and 5 lumps of spawn with at least 1 pair of frogs yet to spawn, don't know what sex the other dozen or so frogs are. Downside is I've not seen the female GCN for over a week now, could be hiding from the attentions of the 3 male GCN's I suppose, no appearances of any more female GCN's, will have to see what happens next year. :clap3:

Norm,

I've enjoyed the obvious passion you have for your pond and creatures in it. Is a GCN a "Great Crested Newt"? You never say.

Phone

We have three species, the GCN is an impressive little beast and relatively rare, the common or smooth newt is more often encountered.

NewtIDguide.jpg