Pond life in January

Norm B

:clap3: Started clearing the duck weed off the top and found quite a few newts about already, No GCN's though but 1 frog swimming about and loads of red snails. Water is clear although coloured, am I allowed to say coloured? or is it black now? Quite a lot of leaves on the bottom, will have to have a deep clean early next year, or late this year. :clap3:

• 2 weeks later...

:clap3: Nice in the sun today, put some daphna in to start breeding ready for the young newts when they hatch. Saw a pair of frogs, looks like spring may have sprung, or I may have to bring some spawn indoors if they can't wait, although they normally all spawn ot once, masses of spawn gives the tadpoles more chance of surviving predators. :clap3:

:bleh: Pair of frogs is now just 2 frogs, obviously the last couple of frosty nights have dampened their urge to spawn for the time being, thank goodness.

Don't really like them spawning before March as a cold spell could do damage to the spawn and deprive the adult newts of food at a crucial time. :clap3:

• 2 weeks later...

:fishing1: Now just seeing 1 frog in the pond, possible cat kill or just gone walk about in the wet. At least 4 pairs of Siskins around, nice as they don't usually hang around after the snow. Blue tits clearing out a bird box and a lot of pairs around, blackbirds, coal tits, blue tits, coal tits, dunnocks, robins, doves, wood pigeons(nest building) can't be long before breeding starts en masse, could just do with a couple of dozen more frogs. :clap3: .

1 pair of frogs but quite a few singles, probably waiting for the warmer weather before committing themselves.

I think your frogs are bunch of poofters, mine spawned on the 7th Feb. :o;)

I've also seen quite a bit of spawn (in puddles) out in the New Forest - (not looked at any ponds in the Forest yet).

I think your frogs are bunch of poofters, mine spawned on the 7th Feb. :o;)

I've also seen quite a bit of spawn (in puddles) out in the New Forest - (not looked at any ponds in the Forest yet).

:clap3: I have had early spawners but they get knocked out by frosts so I'm happy for them to spawn in the middle of March or later as they make up for lost time in the warmer weather. :clap3: