Pond life in January

Norm B

:clap3: Just cleared the cover of duckweed off the pond and there are loads of newts in there already. At least 2 female GCN's and loads of palmates and smooths just soaking up the sun, just need some more frog spawn to feed them. :clap3:

Edited by Norm B

• 1 month later...
  • 10 months later...

:clap3: Strange, last year there was a shortage of newt food, daphna and mosquito larva, I had to import it, this year, no shortage, must've been the early warm spring started it off. :clap3:

:mellow: Cleared some twigs and weed off the surface today and found a dead frog and male GCN, it must have been the big freeze that killed them off. I hope that's the last of the damage. :(

I bet theres plenty of dead ones in the crayfish blokes trap ,he ignores my advice hes a 'proffesional' unfortunately he doesnt know where the frogs and toads mate and has put a trap in the spot

It was my last day as bailiff thursday (15 years is enough hassel) so the pond and its inhabitants is out of my hands

Edited by chesters1
  • Like 1

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

I bet theres plenty of dead ones in the crayfish blokes trap ,he ignores my advice hes a 'proffesional' unfortunately he doesnt know where the frogs and toads mate and has put a trap in the spot

It was my last day as bailiff thursday (15 years is enough hassel) so the pond and its inhabitants is out of my hands

:fishing1: Took a dead female GCN out of the pond today, I don't know how many I've lost, shall have to wait until they start spawning. :clap3:

• 1 month later...

:clap3: Well it's looking promising on the newt front. Loads of palmate and smooth newts and have seen at least 3 female GCN's and 2 male GCN'S, all the females are actively engaged it spawning. Only 1 frog though so it looks like the early spring followed by a hard freeze has done for them. I saw a very large weather loach swimming around, one of the very small pair I put in when I had the pond made, don't know if it's male or female so can't get one to make a pair, shame. Haven't seen the dog fox since I bought the trap, probably the cats getting caught has scared it off, hopefully it won't return. Got a couple of hogs feeding, hopefully they are a pair. Can't get a "safe shot" at the magpies but the blackbirds are being very careful leaving and returning to their nest so there is hope yet. :clap3:

:clap3: Well it's looking promising on the newt front. Loads of palmate and smooth newts and have seen at least 3 female GCN's and 2 male GCN'S, all the females are actively engaged it spawning. Only 1 frog though so it looks like the early spring followed by a hard freeze has done for them. I saw a very large weather loach swimming around, one of the very small pair I put in when I had the pond made, don't know if it's male or female so can't get one to make a pair, shame. Haven't seen the dog fox since I bought the trap, probably the cats getting caught has scared it off, hopefully it won't return. Got a couple of hogs feeding, hopefully they are a pair. Can't get a "safe shot" at the magpies but the blackbirds are being very careful leaving and returning to their nest so there is hope yet. :clap3:

:clap3: Got called upstairs by a worried Mrs B. a "CREATURE" was on the landing net curtains, I guess it was a hornet, not seen one before but about 3 times the size of a wasp but darker. I captured it in a glass and released it unharmed, it flew around me a few times but then flew off. On the newt front, been out by the pond in the sun, there seems to be an abnormal amount of palmate males for some reason, they are harassing the female smooth newts, might have to "import a couple of female palmates to even up the numbers. :clap3:

• 1 year later...

:bye2: Saw 1 frog last week, gone now, probably got by a cat. Won't bother getting any more as far too many cats now so they don't stand a chance. There was 1 cat when we moved here 25 years ago, now the are over a dozen, including 3 Bengals and they aren't afraid of water. :bones:

• 10 months later...
On 2/1/2014 at 9:26 PM, barry luxton said:

bit tounge in cheek Norm, please excuse me:

Attending Angling Trust's England Home Nations and World sea teams as a selection meeting today in Gosport. Wishing good luck to all applicants..............................

I posted that as the best ex team manager perhaps you should be selected

To be selected, you have to apply, so I didn't and wasn't.