Hot 'cold Water' - Any Plumbers Out There?

Gaffer

A friend of mine got up this morning, turned on the cold tap in his bathroom and hot water came out! :o

My friend now has hot water coming from both hot and cold taps, from the sink and bath.

He says that the cold feed pipe (from the tank in the loft) to the emersion tank is hot (electric, not gas).

I haven't a clue when it come to this sort of thing!

Are there any plumbers, or clever DIY bods, out there than can shed any light on the problem?

Many thanks in advance,

Garth.

sounds like emmersion heater thermostat is faulty.

If heater is on for long enough & at full blast then will heat up tank in loft.

But this would also mean that the water in the emmersion tank is at boiling point,

potentially very dangerous.

I think!!!!

I am no plumber just a DIYer

Edited by melpen

If you can lie on the floor without holding on, then you’re not drunk.

I Can Only Please One Person A Day, Today Isn't Your Day, Tomorrow Isn't Looking Good Either.

Could be that the vent pipe from HWC to CWT is immersed and the hot water in the HWC is "circulating".

Actually (yes, one of them :) ) if the feed pipe is hot, then that must be what is happening, unless the water is circulating in the feed pipe.

Den

"When through the woods and forest glades I wanderAnd hear the birds sing sweetly in the trees;When I look down from lofty mountain grandeur,And hear the brook, and feel the breeze;and see the waves crash on the shore,Then sings my soul..................

for all you Spodders. https://youtu.be/XYxsY-FbSic

100% a faulty thermostat.

Boiling water venting into cold tank.

If he runs a cold tap the water will eventually be cold.

Cure, new thermostat asap

I fish, I catches a few, I lose a few, BUT I enjoys. Anglers Trust PM

eat.gif

http://www.petalsgardencenter.com

Petals Florist

He needs to go in the loft and find out if the cold water storage tank is hot, and see where the hot water is coming from. Are you sure the H/W tank expansion tank feeds into the central heating header tank? You have to remember that the hot and cold water are 2 completely separate systems and hot water can only get in to the cold from one end!

Dan

There's a fine line between fishing and standing on the shore like an idiot!

Its nice here! http://www.twfcorfu.com