Lucky To Be Alive!

Steve Burke

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Jan [JaNewt]

Hey Steve and Peggy,

Am so relieved the 2 of you came off with just minor injuries. I was driving home from a photo shoot when Newt told me what happened. He couldn't get the words out fast enough to convey the two of you walked away from this horrendous accident. Am also glad you don't have to live with the demise of the other driver. (One of my questions for him was about the paperweights. Glad to hear they fared well, too.) You two take care of each other and am looking so forward to meeting you next year.

Jan

PS: Take your time answring all the posts I've been sending your way.

Just want to add my well wishes to those already expressed for you and your good lady.

You hear of accidents almost every day and its so easy to curse at the traffic chaos that ensues, it brings it home when it involves someone you know, albeit only via a name on a forum.

A speedy recovery to you both.

Our perception of time as an orderly sequence of regular ticks and tocks has no relevance here in the alternative dimension that is fishing....... C.Yates

good to here your both ok, AN has its fair share of bad news this year, just put it behind ya and get on as normal , all the best

Never test the depth of water with both feet.

Stuff work go fishing.

Firstly, thanks for all your good wishes from both Peggy and me. Please excuse me if I don't reply to all the individual e-mails and PMs but, as you can imagine, time is one thing we don't have at present. Your kind words are much appreciated though.

Unfortunately the latest news is not so good. The other driver didn't phone her insurers as we were first told - it was a relative. So we still don't know the extent of her injuries, or even if she survived.

Peggy is even more black and blue now, and is in considerable discomfort, especially at night, but that's nothing compared with the Fiesta driver.

I've got a sinus problem, but apart from feeling I've been in the ring with Frank Bruno, otherwise have just a sore back. I've driven for the first time since the accident, and it wasn't an enjoyable experience, and I also haven't slept well thanks to some nasty flashbacks. I imagine this is normal though, and hopefully will soon pass.

We still can't believe how lucky we've been. I saw my car properly for the first time today and it's a real mess! Had we not had a Volvo estate the outcome doesn't bear thinking about!

We'd actually just missed a turning so shouldn't have been on that road at the time. Had we not been there it might have been a less safe car that the Fiesta hit, with a result that the accident would have been even worse for some other poor b*ggers.

So thank-you, Mr.Volvo!

Edited by Steve Burke

Wingham Specimen Coarse & Carp Syndicates www.winghamfisheries.co.uk Beautiful, peaceful, little fished gravel pit syndicates in Kent with very big fish. 2017 Forum Fish-In Sat May 6 to Mon May 8. Articles http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/steveburke.htm Index of all my articles on Angler's Net

Very sorry to hear of your accident, but glad of course to hear you are both OK. It doesn't sound so good for the other driver, but form what you say there is nothing you could have done to have made it better. All the best to you.

Steve- so sorry to hear about the accident but thank goodness you and Peggie got out of it okay. I dont know if the bus Tony & I were in during a holiday in Spain some years ago was a Volvo but we managed to walk out of a fatal bus crash when the brakes failed going down a mountain. You have our deepest empathy having gone through the trauma and shock. Your right - life is never the same again - you have to live for today and appreciate every moment . Best wishes for a swift recovery.

Thanks, Karen. Got your 1st PM about Volvos, and replied to it.

We've contacted the PC who gave us his details, but he's on leave so we won't hear anything from him for several days. The officer we spoke to said he wasn't allowed to tell us anything about the other driver. I'm relieved that we'd have heard by now though if the young lady had died - thanks for that, Karen.

Strangely, not knowing how she is, even though I'm not responsible for her injuries, is very disconcerting. I wonder if I'll change my mind if we find out she'd been over the limit? I wonder too if I'd feel the same if Peggy were more seriously injured? How would you feel?

I'm having flashbacks, especially at night when I'm waking up in a cold sweat. The funny thing is that it's like a film with the middle part missing. I can remember the first horrifying image of a car coming straight towards us; I can remember knowing we were being hit; I can picture the windscreen shattered but not being able to see anything through it. But I can't remember the bits in between! This is despite being able to relate them to the police officer at the scene!

Edited by Steve Burke

Wingham Specimen Coarse & Carp Syndicates www.winghamfisheries.co.uk Beautiful, peaceful, little fished gravel pit syndicates in Kent with very big fish. 2017 Forum Fish-In Sat May 6 to Mon May 8. Articles http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/steveburke.htm Index of all my articles on Angler's Net