Fishing Regents Canal, London

Elton

QUESTION FOR THE FORUM

Posted on behalf of Jack Price. Please add all replies to this thread:

Im 15 and am currently studying like hell for my IGCSEs. In the summer i'm planning on travellng up to London to fish regents canal,focussing more within Little Venice. Has anyone got any tips/tricks or locations that i can fish for a good session. I will likely be targeting Pike and Perch with spinners and any live bait i can catch. Thanks, PLEASE REPLY!

Anglers' Net Shopping Partners - Please Support Your Forum

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

CLICK HERE for Go Outdoors. HUGE discounts!

FOLLOW ANGLERS' NET ON TWITTER- CLICK HERE - @anglersnet

PLEASE 'LIKE' US ON FACEBOOK - CLICK HERE

Hi...

I'm curious as to why you're travelling to London to fish when you presumably live out nearer the countryside where fishing is far better. I've never attempted to fish in town but I imagine it's fraught with all kind of restrictions and possibly the danger of being mugged (although Little Venice is pretty upmarket as the name suggests). I can't imagine trying to carry all your kit on a bus or the underground is very practical either.

There's some useful info here, turns out you can fish in LV...

http://www.londonangler.com/venue_display.asp?articleid=7

I work near to - in fact my work often involves the banks of the regent's canal - and have never seen anyone fishing there. I've seen lots of small perch and a few dead fish, including one huge perch. Curiously, an arm of the canal known as Paddington Basin has a sign on it that suggests the fishing was very good at one time (see photo). If they could only get a signwriter with good grammar.

Go down towards Camden, where it goes through The Regent's Park, I think it will be better fishing down that way, if only because it won't be rammed with boats. I know this section quite well and walk it most days and the overhanging trees look distinctly fishy. Don't expect a quiet time though, and although I find it a safe environment, it is Central London and you would be wise to be aware.

I've no idea who controls the fishing, possibly LAA. Let us know how you get on, I might take a rod to work.

Mike

post-16009-0-52727900-1391551450_thumb.jpg

"I want some repairs done to my cooker as it has backfired and burnt my knob off."

Don't know if you are still following this thread Jack, but here are two photos of the stretch I had in mind at Regent's Park. I walked along it yesterday.

post-16009-0-71270100-1391714740_thumb.jpg. post-16009-0-44397800-1391714829_thumb.jpg

I would imagine this is a good stretch for a bit of spinning or float fished worm. However, the bottom will probably be alive with mitten crabs and crayfish, so fish a bait in mid water or just off bottom..

Looks quite pleasant really doesn't it. Considering it's in London only two miles or so from Oxford Street.

Mike

"I want some repairs done to my cooker as it has backfired and burnt my knob off."

• 2 weeks later...

thanks mike!

im up in London for 3 days and will probably fish near the Paddington Branch i'll will trot up and down from the the weird bridge outside Ziizzis, ill stay reasonably near the the shops/restauants so I'm around the general public, which may deter anyone wanting to 'borrow ya phone' if i dont get told to pi.....go away by any shop owners.

Ive got maggots to catch live bait would the crayfish take my maggots if i was using a swim feeder?

thanks mike!

im up in London for 3 days and will probably fish near the Paddington Branch i'll will trot up and down from the the weird bridge outside Ziizzis, ill stay reasonably near the the shops/restauants so I'm around the general public, which may deter anyone wanting to 'borrow ya phone' if i dont get told to pi.....go away by any shop owners.

Ive got maggots to catch live bait would the crayfish take my maggots if i was using a swim feeder?

I've no idea really. Might not be too many crayfish, I really don't know, but everywhere else has. I would fish it on the float or spinning until I found the fish. It's not really somewhere to be sitting in one place. However, I would prefer to fish the stretch further away from the shop frontages etc. the bars and cafe's would be a bit off-putting for me. Might be no fishing in the paddington basin anyway. I'll have a look tomorrow when I go past.

Mike

Thanks! I have a grandparent who lives in LV so reaching the bank wont be a dilemma. I have a 5 foot 6" spinner rod from Abu Gracia which i use for tributary trotting so im sure it will perfectly or disastrously adapt to the urban canals!

I think getting hold of a 4-5 metre pole or whip may be a better bet than a short spinning rod, for gfishing a canal. Thye can be bought at reasonably low cost.

Edited by Tony U

Tony

After a certain age, if you don't wake up aching in every joint, you are probably dead.

I considered fishing Regents canal a few years back and soon binned the idea as the more I looked in to it the less appealing the idea became. Most anglers I talked to including some that looked well capable of dealing with any potential issues from unsavoury types advised that its just not worth the effort. There are good reasons why you dont see people fishing most of the urban water ways of London even when big Carp and Jacks where plentyful. Over the last few years the big fish have disappeared from most spots and most London anglers head out of the city to fish, my advice would be to follow suit or if you really want to do some urban fishing then try to find an area that gets fished regularly by other anglers. Safety in numbers may be the way to fish London, if you want to fish alone then out of the city might be a better option.

Sorry to sound negative but in these times of austerity if good trouble free fishing where available on London's waterways do you think no one would be fishing?

Stephen

Species Caught 2014

Zander, Pike, Bream, Roach, Tench, Perch, Rudd, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Eel, Grayling, Brown Trout, Rainbow Trout

Species Caught 2013

Pike, Zander, Bream, Roach, Eel, Tench, Rudd, Perch, Common Carp, Koi Carp, Brown Goldfish, Grayling, Brown Trout, Chub, Roosterfish, Dorado, Black Grouper, Barracuda, Mangrove Snapper, Mutton Snapper, Jack Crevalle, Tarpon, Red Snapper

Species Caught 2012
Zander, Pike, Perch, Chub, Ruff, Gudgeon, Dace, Minnow, Wels Catfish, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Ghost Carp, Roach, Bream, Eel, Rudd, Tench, Arapaima, Mekong Catfish, Sawai Catfish, Marbled Tiger Catfish, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Thai Redtail Catfish, Batrachian Walking Catfish, Siamese Carp, Rohu, Julliens Golden Prize Carp, Giant Gourami, Java Barb, Red Tailed Tin Foil Barb, Nile Tilapia, Black Pacu, Red Bellied Pacu, Alligator Gar
Species Caught 2011
Zander, Tench, Bream, Chub, Barbel, Roach, Rudd, Grayling, Brown Trout, Salmon Parr, Minnow, Pike, Eel, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Ghost Carp, Koi Carp, Crucian Carp, F1 Carp, Blue Orfe, Ide, Goldfish, Brown Goldfish, Comet Goldfish, Golden Tench, Golden Rudd, Perch, Gudgeon, Ruff, Bleak, Dace, Sergeant Major, French Grunt, Yellow Tail Snapper, Tom Tate Grunt, Clown Wrasse, Slippery Dick Wrasse, Doctor Fish, Graysby, Dusky Squirrel Fish, Longspine Squirrel Fish, Stripped Croaker, Leather Jack, Emerald Parrot Fish, Red Tail Parrot Fish, White Grunt, Bone Fish
Species Caught 2010
Zander, Pike, Perch, Eel, Tench, Bream, Roach, Rudd, Mirror Carp, Common Carp, Crucian Carp, Siamese Carp, Asian Redtail Catfish, Sawai Catfish, Rohu, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Pacu, Long Tom, Moon Wrasse, Sergeant Major, Green Damsel, Tomtate Grunt, Sea Chub, Yellowtail Surgeon, Black Damsel, Blue Dot Grouper, Checkered Sea Perch, Java Rabbitfish, One Spot Snapper, Snubnose Rudderfish
Species Caught 2009
Barramundi, Spotted Sorubim Catfish, Wallago Leeri Catfish, Wallago Attu Catfish, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Mrigul, Siamese Carp, Java Barb, Tarpon, Wahoo, Barracuda, Skipjack Tuna, Bonito, Yellow Eye Rockfish, Red Snapper, Mangrove Snapper, Black Fin Snapper, Dog Snapper, Yellow Tail Snapper, Marble Grouper, Black Fin Tuna, Spanish Mackerel, Mutton Snapper, Redhind Grouper, Saddle Grouper, Schoolmaster, Coral Trout, Bar Jack, Pike, Zander, Perch, Tench, Bream, Roach, Rudd, Common Carp, Golden Tench, Wels Catfish
Species Caught 2008
Dorado, Wahoo, Barracuda, Bonito, Black Fin Tuna, Long Tom, Sergeant Major, Red Snapper, Black Damsel, Queen Trigga Fish, Red Grouper, Redhind Grouper, Rainbow Wrasse, Grey Trigger Fish, Ehrenbergs Snapper, Malabar Grouper, Lunar Fusiler, Two Tone Wrasse, Starry Dragonet, Convict Surgeonfish, Moonbeam Dwarf Angelfish,Bridled Monocle Bream, Redlined Triggerfish, Cero Mackeral, Rainbow Runner
Species Caught 2007
Arapaima, Alligator Gar, Mekong Catfish, Spotted Sorubim Catfish, Pacu, Siamese Carp, Barracuda, Black Fin Tuna, Queen Trigger Fish, Red Snapper, Yellow Tail Snapper, Honeycomb Grouper, Red Grouper, Schoolmaster, Cubera Snapper, Black Grouper, Albacore, Ballyhoo, Coney, Yellowfin Goatfish, Lattice Spinecheek

It's a sad fact that many of our fishing venues in and around London are unsafe. West of London, at a water which has good barbel and chub, it's unwise to leave your car in the secluded car park due to break-ins and tow-aways. Canal bridges often have a collection of daytime drinkers. Now being past the age of retirement, at the other end of the spectrum to young Jack, I pick my venues with caution. 30 years ago, the London canals gave me hours of sport catching roach and skimmers on the bread punch, but today I wouldn't recommend them to anyone.