Pole Elastic

chrislee342

Hi all.

Im going to be purchasing a pole this year ready to tackle the canal with as I find it too frustrating trying to get a waggler into those tricky spots.

I have found a pole which is not elasticated and I am looking for info on what elastic is best to start out with.

I hear about solid, hollow, hydro, double elastic but what is best not to bump off small silvers and strong enough to land the odd big fish the canal normally produces.

Can I have your bank account number and sort code please?

Good evening,

If you are fishing on a canal I would recommend Daiwa blue hydro. Hydro elastic has a rating of 5-8, this means when playing small roach etc on the canal the elastic will act as a number 5 elastic which will be fine for that type of fishing. If however you were to hook a bream or a decent perch the elastic will act as a number 8. The hydro is hollow in the middle and has a special type of liquid in it that enables it to constrict and become a harder elastic. However the Daiwa hydros are about £15.

However you could buy a number 6 solid elastic and fit it to a pullabung and then if you were to hook a bigger fish you could carefully ship to your top kit and use the pulla and tighten the pressure on the elastic to put pressure on the fish. A Preston solid number 10 and a pullabung is about £10 altogether so it's up to you really.

Hope this helped, Jack :)

Edit: btw I would recommend a match top 3 top kit rather than a top 2 power kit. You won't bump as many fish with a softer top 3 kit.

Edited by jack1432

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and i'm not sure about the universe". (Albert Einstein)

"You don't lead by hitting people over the head, thats assault, not leadership". (Dwight D. Eisenhower)

"Some people claim that marriage interferes with romance. Theres no doubt about it. Anytime you have a romance, your wife is bound to interfere". (Groucho marx)

Thanks Jack. I was wondering about the ratings on the hydro elastic but now I understand.

What is the main difference in the top kits then? Is one a lot stiffer than the other? Also, are the top 2 power kits used for the bigger fish as there is less elastic for them to run with?

Edited by chrislee342

Can I have your bank account number and sort code please?

The power top 2 kits are more for commercials and bigger fish, so therefore more stiff.

The match top 3 kits are also used a lot on commercials but for silvers and therefore more softer than a power kit.

Less elastic is used in the power kit as it runs through the top to sections. Top twos are kits which you use if you are fishing for carp in the margins which you will use 16 to 18 elastics, or carp, tench, F1s etc in open water with size 10 to 14 elastic.

Match top 3 kits are designed for lighter elastics like 4 to 10 elastics and therefore are used for smaller fish like roach, Rudd, skimmers etc. The elastic runs through the top 3 sections and has a thinner top so you prob wouldn't be able to get a heavy elastic through it anyway.

Jack.

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and i'm not sure about the universe". (Albert Einstein)

"You don't lead by hitting people over the head, thats assault, not leadership". (Dwight D. Eisenhower)

"Some people claim that marriage interferes with romance. Theres no doubt about it. Anytime you have a romance, your wife is bound to interfere". (Groucho marx)

Personaly I would use a Solid Middy Hi viz in 4-6 for most canal sized fish - you will find match anglers using 1-2 or 3-4 for most general fishing.

If going for larger fish against the far bank a 6-8 or 8-10 will handle the job.

Just remeber to balance your main line, hook length and hook (wire size) to the elastic.

I use pulla bungs with Middy solid elastic and prestons hollo elastic, not tried with hydro with I did use and now dont as it costs to much for no benefit whatsoever.

Top kits - Jack is along the right lines of thought however:

Top two power kits weight more as they have more material in them to make them stronger for Carp fishing, margin fishing or any fishing with heavy elastics.

Match kits are longer and lighter as they are generally used with lighter elastics so dont need thicker walls.

ANY top kit needs to be as stiff as possible, this stops pole bounce when shipping, stops pole drooping and helps on the strike, when playing as fish the elastic should do most of the work.

Any fish being bumped off are caused by using either too powerfull or too tight elastic not how stiff a pole kit is.

This is why double elastics, hollow elastics or lighter elastics with pulla bungs are used.

RUDD

Different floats for different folks!

There is some good info here, but you can baffle yourself with science. I was fishing the Basingstoke canal yesterday on the bread punch, using a single Slip Fluoro No 4 through the top two of my pole and didn't lose a fish, even though it was pushing through.

OoIIzuY.jpg

As you can see from this pic, I had some good skimmers and some very nice roach, plus some tiddlers.

This was my blog post: http://www.urbanfieldsportsman.com/index.php/bread-punch-nets-quality-fish-on-the-basingstoke-canal/

There is some good info here, but you can baffle yourself with science. I was fishing the Basingstoke canal yesterday on the bread punch, using a single Slip Fluoro No 4 through the top two of my pole and didn't lose a fish, even though it was pushing through.

OoIIzuY.jpg

As you can see from this pic, I had some good skimmers and some very nice roach, plus some tiddlers.

This was my blog post: http://www.urbanfieldsportsman.com/index.php/bread-punch-nets-quality-fish-on-the-basingstoke-canal/

Punch, a devastating winter bait when they want it.

Do you feed liquidised bread as a feed?

RUDD

Sorry for the slow reply Rudd. Yes liquidised bread. This canal was really pushing hard and I had to put it in upstream, the hotspot being 10 ft down from me. I had them going well, then a barge came upstream and churned it up and I lost the better fish. I am just about to liquidise another loaf, hoping to get out after the rain tomorrow.

Edited by kenj

Sorry for the slow reply Rudd. Yes liquidised bread. This canal was really pushing hard and I had to put it in upstream, the hotspot being 10 ft down from me. I had them going well, then a barge came upstream and churned it up and I lost the better fish. I am just about to liquidise another loaf, hoping to get out after the rain tomorrow.

You could try squeezing your feed around a carrier such as clay, fine gravel or a heavy sand.

RUDD

Taking in your advice on sinking the liquidised bread Rudd, I went out and bought a small bait dropper for my return to the Basingstoke Canal, but found that despite all the rain we have endured this week, the canal was at near normal level and pace, balling the bread in as usual by hand in close, while feeding the far shelf at 9 meteres with a cup.

This time I had no barge to spoil my fishing and ended up with a respectable 7lb plus from a two and a half hour afternoon session on the bread punch. Once again I used a No 4 single elastic and didn't lose a fish.

KwQUiom.jpg

My Blog http://www.urbanfieldsportsman.com/index.php/bread-punch-finds-skimmer-bream-on-the-basingstoke-canal/