Sky Bloodsport Ban Poll

mass2k5

Dear Gerry,

"Whilst those that currently sit on their hands and tell us that angling is safe, will presumably be doing what..anybody know?"

I know for certain Gerry, because I worked with them for a while, there "are" certain people inside FACT who are working extremely hard for "angling". However, I've always been greatly concerned by "angling's" willingness to be placed in a boat by this government and sent down river compliance because it suits this government’s strategy of keeping "votes" onside. I also hold the belief that it’s not CA that has high jacked angling, but a clever government. The same government that has now included the BASC and the CLA inside its bracket of "great importance". To my mind, the government knows what’s coming and is making attempts to split support for the hunters with dogs hoping to face a smaller army in the field this winter when fox hunting tests the courts and a governments rather unwilling resolve for fighting a battle it never thought it was going to have to fight. The BASC and CLA will of course stand squarely alongside field sports whilst "angling" remains in its ivory towers well away from the fray.

FACT will no doubt be making hay whilst the present government’s sun shines down on them. I would do exactly the same in their shoes. But this sun unlike our own will one day set failing to rise another day. When it does, I fear the electorate will treat new labour like it did Thatcher’s Tories keeping them in exile whilst perhaps a new record of party successions of four year terms in office is created. In the meantime, I’d expect those in FACT will be working for its own angling membership. Does FACT have a website? I seem to recall they were considering creating one. If not, I have no idea what its doing.

There is no doubt that angling remains under threat, but there’s also no doubt that for now, the threat has rescinded somewhat officially within the present administration. However, the threat still exists elsewhere within seemingly respected organisations and well funded extremist orgs ensuring for certain that the threat to our sport will continue to grow and get more sophisticated. It’s these back door sophisticated threats that angling should fear because they are the most dangerous. Getting the anti-angling people in places of authority remains their key to success and once this is achieved, anything becomes possible.

Now I’ve always believed that there should be the “one” UK organisation created that “all” anglers should belong to on an individual basis. A powerful organisation representing UK angling’s true size and power. Once created, we become untouchable against any threat.

Ok we have FACT, and it’s pretty remarkable we’ve managed to get that far considering UK angling’s dismal history for disunity. BUT; FACT needs to go a lot further and aim for an individual based membership aimed at truly uniting our nation’s anglers collectively. To coin part of a phrase used by America’s Federation of Fly Fishers adding a bit of my own, “All anglers, All fish, All waters” should be a UK target aimed at bringing all of us together. Keep the FACT idea and constituent members, (but please change its dreary name) but make provision for full blown membership. I don’t give a fig who runs it because we’ve already got some very capable guys there already, it’s absolutely essential we have a national UK organisation that “all” anglers can join. Like I said, “All anglers, all fish, all waters”.

And if FACT continually resists the idea, will someone else please consider the idea at least?

Regards,

Lee.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dear Slodger,

Personally,I'm not ranting, just airing a point of view like yourself? I don't believe there's this ground swell of public support against fox hunting, nor do I believe that a majority of our nation elected Mr Blair last time around, or the time before that. I accept you believe that field sports will eventually become banned. If it does, angling goes with it because we won't survive such an imaginery onslaught. Fortunately Slodger, its probably all imaginery and field sports are ready.

I agree that Blair might hang on to his 20 odd % of the vote to keep labour in power for another term. Lets face it Slodger, what else is there out there to inspire an electorate past 50% turn out to vote anyway?

Take a long rest Paul. You've worked so hard for it.

Regards,

Lee.

Dear Peter,

Well I'm continually being surprised by you.

Good old PAC. How much do PAC contribute towards the daily/monthly/yearly running of FACT? Now't? So its political contribution goes via SAA yes? How much do SAA contribute in financial terms towards the daily/monthly/yearly running of FACT? Come on Peter, I want facts and figures not just your usual bluster then walk away stuff.

Now Peter, what voting rights do you have inside FACT? And you "are" on record concerning NAA and FACT over many issues. Is it merely that your old hatred for CA has resurfaced?

Tell me Peter, (you will probably dodge this question) how do you see FACT or your vision of "angling" whatever that is, funding itself so that it can fight "angling's" battles effectively? Pass the tin round in the Norwich labour club perhaps?

Crikey Peter! After all you've said and the priciples I thought you stood by you come out with that.

Regards,

Lee.

Dear Lee,

I was truly surprised by the results of that poll. I expected a larger number to be opposed to the sport of hunting with dogs. I suspect the Blairites in the upper echelons of the Beeb might also be unpleasantly surprised and are probably now wishing that they hadn't raised the issue in the first place. Bang goes the follow-on programme showing those nasty horsemen being rude to sabs.

It does however suggest that the support that New Labour thought it had in the country is fading away to just the diehards. Or perhaps the 'don't knows' have suddenly woken to the fact that personal freedoms are being so quickly eroded that maybe the foxhunters deserve to get on with their way of life unfettered. Give them credit for persistence and innovation at least. Tone of course is not for turning....well unless it becomes an issue that threatens his position (and of course any future book deals and lecture tours of the USA)

regards

Gerry

ps In order to keep the playing field level, I should point out that you can of course also join the Countryside Alliance via their very excellent website at www.countryside-alliance.org where membership benefits include an excellent range of home and abroad insurances. Never go on a tiger hunt without adequate cover B)

Edited by argyll

'I've got a mind like a steel wassitsname'

Dear Gerry,

Tone might just be limbering up for a job in the EU? His missus gets plenty of dosh I hear. Wasn't there a charity bash that made eight grand but some dear gall involved demanded eighty grand expences? Mind you, I've just read the recently published list of MP's expences. Our dear old Tory rep got £132.000 all laid out what was spent where on what. The clarity might be clear, but the amounts spent remain stagering. Most MP's claim over a £100.000 expences a year. Poor loves, its a hard life down Westminster.

Everyone seems to have fat fists in all sorts of cash filled pots. Apart from poor old angling it seems. All I want is for angling to be effectively funded so it can protect itself, and individual membership made available for all anglers so they can make their own individual contributions. Be a part of their future. All anglers, all fish, all waters. Perhaps some of us have the ability to seperate the CA stroke fox hunting stroke field sports to what "angling" needs Gerry?

Fact. Field sports are 100% united 100% self funded. Fact. We ain't. Sorry, but its a fact. Any news on what FACT are doing by the way?

Any reply from Peter on my questions yet? I do hope he doesn't turn out like those MP's he seems to admire so much.

Regards,

Lee.

I haven't been able to read all the posts here as there is tons. However I voted No yesterday via another forum.

One think that I find pathetic is that although I don't agree with the mammal hunting ban, the Government have certainly made a complete foul up as usual of implementing a new law.

If it had been done properly there would be no grey areas and no continued issues. Is so hard for the combined intellect of the UK government and civil service to actually draft a law using some commonsense and forethought? Obviously not!

Dear Lid,

I remember reading the final draft of the hunting with dog’s bill and it soon became quite obvious it was a complete farce. No wonder the fox hunters want to get into court as soon as they can in order for their barristers to pull the whole thing to pieces.

I especially like the part where packs of hounds/dogs can "legally", get this, "flush" and "chase" an intended quarry but "not" kill it. Who on earth thought of that and who on earth within the anti-camp inside parliament agreed to it?

So I suppose we have hounds/dogs going out to hunt rummaging around in coverts and woods finding its quarry, (foxes for example) flushing it, chasing it, then just as the pack/dog looks like making ground, (which normally takes half a parish by the way because hounds are anything but fleet on their feet) its killed via another method instead of the hounds/dog doing the killing. Some hunts are using large birds of prey like the Harris Hawk and Golden Eagle to do the dispatching. That’s ok then as the Golden Eagle is up for the job and is capable of crushing a fox’s skull just the same as it is a fox hounds. Imagine the pandemonium? Yelping hounds, huntsmen thrown off their horses and a hunt-sab with pink hair screaming for his life as the eagle perched on top of his head tightens its lethal grip! Only this inept government could come up with a script that the "Carry On" team could never hope to write.

It should be remembered Lid, that the drafting of this bill took ages to pass through the house as it got altered so much. All that thought and so called wisdom ended up being nothing more than a comedy sketch. I wouldn't trust the mob that’s running our country to organise a chimp’s tea party. Although admittedly, there is a resemblance when they're all sat around the cabinet table at pretty picky time.

Its a complete mess and no wonder the fox hunters relish the thought of going to court as the bill itself will serve quite adequately as first witness up called in by the defence teams. Of course, the government knows this and is secretly wishing the whole issue just goes away. Especially so as just about every police authority in the country also doesn't want to get involved either!

Then there’s the "public". Quite a lot has been made already about a public that are "supposedly" behind the ban. Oh really? Opinion polls are beginning to tell a different story and any case, did anyone seriously believe the public would support this ban long term when they begun to see what this government was all about? High taxation, higher fuel costs, failing health service, rising violent crime all contribute to a fickle public opinion getting dodgier by the month. And when Blair’s nanny state starts pushing their prams into other people’s lives the public begin to twig what’s going off and say enough is enough. That’s when our public begins to support the underdog fighting a government and changes whole attitudes. That’s when the press jumps aboard swinging public opinion eager to search for heads on the block. That’s also the time when hawks circling in the Westminster corridors of power begin to swoop down looking to replace its leader. Watch how these hawks begin to do their work in the weeks ahead if you think I’m wrong.

Self funding for angling. All anglers, all fish, all waters. It’s the final solution to us determining our own future once and for all. Then I look forward to Mike Heylin as Prime Minister with Leon Roskilly next door in number 11.

Regards,

Lee.

'Then there’s the "public". Quite a lot has been made already about a public that are "supposedly" behind the ban. Oh really? Opinion polls are beginning to tell a different story and any case, did anyone seriously believe the public would support this ban long term when they begun to see what this government was all about? High taxation, higher fuel costs, failing health service, rising violent crime all contribute to a fickle public opinion getting dodgier by the month.'

What planet are you on??? :huh:

Slodger (Chris Hammond.)

'We should be fishin'

Currently 83.15% of the Voters are saying "Bloodsports" should not be banned.

That surprises even me, perhaps they thing Rugby is a "Bloodsport". :)

"I gotta go where its warm, I gotta fly to saint somewhere "