Sky Bloodsport Ban Poll

mass2k5

Any chance of some actual figures showing support for the ban of fox hunting?

I mean "real" proven figures!

Let's agree to respect each others views, no matter how wrong yours may be.

Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity

http://www.safetypublishing.co.uk/
http://www.safetypublishing.ie/

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

'Any chance of some actual figures showing support for the ban of fox hunting?

I mean "real" proven figures!'

No, not unless someone conducts a public referendum. Imo The misconception is that because a few pro hunters are extremely vocal, that's the way public opinion lies. That's cobblers frankly!

Personally, I'd vote for a reinstatement of Fox hunting, but the fact is I'd be in a minority. As for suggesting that the public would support hunting on the grounds that labour are putting too much duty on fuel..... that's about as likely as George Bush inviting Saddam around for sunday lunch!

:rolleyes:

Slodger (Chris Hammond.)

'We should be fishin'

Mr Matthew, are you suggesting we should have a "Conservation/Politics Forum" ?

I think that would be a great idea.

Lets keep the Fishing Forums , all about Fishing. :)

"I gotta go where its warm, I gotta fly to saint somewhere "

The vast majority of the population are anti-hunting, probably because the vast majority of people live in towns and cities, but thats democracy so live with it...

That my point, statements like this are so easy to make with no proof, it's just accepted as fact because thats what people who make them want to believe.

Who is this "vast majority"

Personally I don't think the vast majority could give a rats a*se

Who is this "vast majority"

Personally I don't think the vast majority could give a rats a*se

I wouldn't be quite so sure that they don't care, just because they aren't as vocal as the prohunt lobby don't underestimate the force of feeling that this issue can raise.

I've lived all my life in the country and probably always will, I've enjoyed shooting and wildfowling and have been passionate about angling since childhood however without a shadow of a doubt foxhunting with dogs is no longer seen by the public as an acceptable practise. You are deluding yourself if you think otherwise.

Scopex

"Too weird to live, and too rare to die."

mmm, foxhunting or any form of bloodsports for that matter, i fail to see why or how there is any connection between fishing and chasing a fox around with a pack of dogs which rip it to bits.

Most anglers fish for the thrill of catching, very few for the pot, returning our quarry unharmed whereas bloodsports mean animals are killed eg foxes - are they for the pot?

We are no longer cave men that need to kill wild animals to survive, thats why we domesticated cows etc and the last time i checked in asda, morrisons etc there was no shortage of meat. yet still in 2005 some regard it as essential and a right to go out killing our wildlife that has already suffered massive declines in the last 100 years through many different mechanisms. It is these people and their mentality that need to tarnish fishing with the same brush inorder to save their own unjustified, mindless so called sports by getting anglers to join alligance. I would willingly give up angling this second if it meant i had to support bloodsports!

having just read most of the posts on this topic it appears that what is really relevent in peoples opinions is that bans on bloodsports and bans in general should be opposed strongly for various political reasons namely that bans only serve to restrict or control our choices and rights.

For me the choice on this issue is simple, i disregard concerns about goverments taking away my rights and ask myself, is fox hunting and bloodsports wrong or right, (not a right).

No goverment has led me to decide that bloodsports are wrong, we all inevitably harm our environment and the creatures within it and to some extent that is acceptable, what i find unaccseptable is bringing unjustified suffering to any creature, i have seen a relative kill foxes efficiently with a baited cage and a shotgun, the fox doesnt have to suffer, and shouldnt have to for human pleasure.

I dont hunt, I never have and I have never wanted to. I don't feel particularly strongly one way or the other, like I suspect most of the population.

I am interested however in anglers insistance on distancing themselves from fieldsports.

Why do you fish? isn't it based on some form of hunting instinct?

What do you say to an anti who challenges you and accuses you of unneccessary cruelty to dumb animals?

Zed, you say you would give up fishing if it was a bloodsport, by which I assume you mean that if it meant killing things. There has been much discussion here and elsewhere recently about Pike dying after release. Given anglers deperate requirement to weigh and photograph every fish they catch, surely this means that anglers are willing to risk the death of their catch, as long as it dies later, out of sight, so that they have a good photo (and a clear consscience!)

I fish catch and release.

I shoot, and I eat what I shoot, in fact almost all of the meat I eat was shot by me.

The argument was put forward that we can go to a supermarket and buy all of the meat we eat. Where did that meat come from. It probably came from factory farms where animals were kept in dreadful conditions. It came from animal that have been loaded into trucks and carted hundreds of miles around the country to be slaughtered, because it suits the supermarkets central buying to do it that way. It comes from intensively reared chickens, subjected to unspeakable cruelty, never seeing daylight in their short deformed lives. But thats OK, you don't kill anything.

Just remember, at some time in the not too distant future, when you are being attacked by a group of antis on the riverbank and they are throwing you tackle in to the river and beating you with iron bars, just tell them that angling isn't a field sport, and when you eat your chicken Tikka Masala tonight, just remember that you don't kill animals

Guys,

you really are getting yourselves in a tiz over nothing. No government in their right mind would try to ban an industry that is worth billions and billions to the country every year.

Nor would they ban the biggest participation activity in this country. The amount of people who go fishing is enough en mass to swing the vote of an election, enough said.

Fox hunting is a minority sport. I would say the majority of people have at some point during their lives been fishing or been close to someone who went and enjoyed fishing.

if we associate ourselves,as individuals or as a group, with the country side alliance is besides the point. I am merely anti the antis.

we should stick by other activities that these people are anti, not necessarily to agree with the thing we are sticking up for but to stop these mindless liberals forcing their will upon everyone else within this fine nation.

United we stand.

Two fingers to the antis, and thats all I have to say. I am not at all in the least bit worried about them or their inane ramblings.