Sky Bloodsport Ban Poll

mass2k5

Guest Brumagem Phil

Given that most foxes now live in the city, I'm thinking the local hooligans might enjoy running around in chopped up and cobbled together "cars" like those in Madmax with various weapons, screaming and hollaring as they tear up the neighbourhood at 3am chasing the foxes.

Well it'd make a change from toffs on horseback I guess!

...now where did I put my tin hat????

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wise words I reckon.

I can't see the link between dogs ripping a fox apart and sitting on a bank, catching and returning fish. The two activities are miles apart.

If anglers join in with general bloodsports groups to gain support they will get tarred with the same brush. And I personally would never say yes to bloodsports so it would be, to me, a ridiculous thing to do.

I think there is an element of paranoia at the moment with regards to the future of fishing. The only stuff I hear about how we should behave and what will gain fishing more negative attention etc is on fishing websites, said by anglers. Nobody else seems to be concerned about it, not the media, the govornment, or even the RSPCA.

I think we should therefore calm down and just enjoy our wonderful sport, and enjoy discussing it on this forum, and forget about the threat of something that is not going to happen.

Am I being flippant? I don't think so. No govornment will ban fishing. They make money on tax on every piece of tackle that is sold, on land and fisheries that are bought and sold, and baning fishing would lose a govornment MILLIONS of votes. It is simply not going to happen.

www.myspace.com/boozlebear

Does anyone know how many foxes die because of hunting?

Not very many.

Its a glorified **** up.

The only foxes they catch are the sick and the old.

and what is happening to foxes now, they are being shot by farmers, or lampers(2 kids have been killed lamping in the last year) not always cleanly.

these people dont see the whole side of the debate. Ban one thing they move on to the next. Like the anti smoking lobby. I dont smoke. but I do go to the pub. I choose to go to the pub. I have a choice if I wish to passive smoke or not. People who work in pubs and clubs have a choice to work there or not.

There are too many people nannying too many other people who dont need nannying while thier own kids are running around getting away with murder(sometimes literally) in schools where the rules and discipline have been eroded in the opposite way to the way these people wish to oppress the wider public.

We must now all become anti-anti. And when I say all, I mean all of us. we must stand up to these people before they ruin this fine country.

Matthew, if you aren't a vegetarian, your last post almost beggars belief! So it's not okay for a bloke to shoot his own supper, but it's perfectly legit for you to pop into Tescos and purchase a piece of an animal that has been intensively reared, in an unnatural and wholly uninviting environment, and then slaughtered on your behalf?

Angling is a field sport, end of story! You wish to go into the 'field' (That's simply a euphamism for somewhere rural usually.) and interact with a wild creature against it's will. How can you possibly disassociate that from shooting or hunting? Because we MOSTLY don't kill our captured quarry? How do you qualify an angler that enjoys eating some of his catch then? Would you think it okay for the Fox hunters to catch the fox for fun, and then release it?

I just cannot believe you cannot see the hypocisy of those sentiments!

I agree with other posters, fishing is a long way away from a ban. However you can rest assured that somewhere in the future, admittedly a long, long way off yet, angling will be banned. And why? Because it's a field sport. It may be the least offensive field sport, but it cannot be removed from that ownership.

Slodger (Chris Hammond.)

'We should be fishin'

Mr Mathew

Just for information, I have been fishing one way and another for 50 years, I have been shooting for most of that time as well. I consider them both to be fieldsports.

Why you think that I would want to ally myself with anyone who is anti fieldsport amazes me.

I too cannot believe the hypocrisy shown in some of these postings.

Cards on the table time

I read a lot on here about the importance of catch and release, correct fish handling and the welfare of the catch. Can I make a few observations.

If you are that worried about the welfare of the fish the answer is simple ; don't fish for them. If you continue to fish for them and practice catch and release, then you must be doing it for your own enjoyment. That means that you are happy to use this particular animal, and risk it's life for your own enjoyment, so cut the hypocritical B/S

Correct fish handling. I fish for coarse fish and for game fish, I catch and release both species. Recently I caught my P.B. trout. I don't know what it weighed and I don't have any photos because it was never lifted from the water or touched by me. It was unhooked with forceps and allowed to swim away. As are all of my fish What is this preoccupation I see and read about with weighing and photographing everything. This must mean handling the fish much more than is good for it, but you have to have your trophy shot so screw the fishes welfare, and you have the nerve to lecture me!

It's about time that a few anglers got a bit honest with themselves, cut the self satisfied smug hypocrisy and owned up to the fact that they enjoy what they do.

I have great respect for what I catch and for what I shoot and I have no qualms about doing either.

Fishing won't be banned by goverment, but it may be regulated out of existence, just as it currently happening with shooting.

The purposes of these posts are not to have a go at anyone, but to put a point of view that I feel strongly about. I look forward with interest to someone defending their point of view

Dave Olley

Let's agree to respect each others views, no matter how wrong yours may be.

Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity

http://www.safetypublishing.co.uk/
http://www.safetypublishing.ie/

I respect those who choose to shoot, I respect those who choose to catch fish. I think that both interests have a great deal to offer each other by way of support. Afterall, we are all hunters.

But I have no respect for the CA.

Can't argue with that Peter (not that I would ever argue with you anyway :) )

Why don't you catch little artificial fish with a magnet on a string?

I hope you know more about fishing than you do shooting <_<

Without being too personal mathew I looked at your profile and was presented with a photo of you clutching a carp. Because of the way you are standing up and holding the fish there is a distinct danger of dropping it and damaging it. Might I suggest that before you criticise others you have a look at your own actions.

I have more respect for the animals I shoot than you do for the fish you catch by the look of it.

BTW when I was out walking the dogs today, they chased caught and killed a rabbit. Should that be banned?

How do I explain that to the dogs?

Personally, the only decision I have to make is how to cook it :)

'Slodger, what some people find offensive about hunting with hounds....'

Don't get me wrong, I'm not over enamoured with it as a sport myself Matthew. I happen to love watching foxes in the wild, and few animals can have been more wrongly maligned down the years than 'Old Reynard'. Even those from the country talk some unholy crud about the fox and it's antics at times.

I can well understand your point about this particular passtime. However at the least it offers us, as anglers, a little more protective veneer.

I just feel that we are living in something of a greenhouse on this issue. How can we expect the freedom to exploit fish to our own ends, while crying out against the hunters doing the same with the fox to theirs? It's not enough to declare that we are different, because we intend putting the fish back unharmed. That just seems a hypocritical attitude to me.

As Sportsman stated, it's only an opinion I'm proferring. I don't mean it to offend anyone. :)

Slodger (Chris Hammond.)

'We should be fishin'

Can't argue with that Peter (not that I would ever argue with you anyway :) )

Maybe not, but a good, healthy discussion doesn't go amiss.

Matthew, I agree with your last posting, in principle. But shooting, like angling, has its downsides. Either, in their basic forms, are purely about hunting. Depart from that concept and the problems become apparent, as has happened with both sports.

Edited by Peter Waller