Sky Bloodsport Ban Poll

mass2k5

If it's about sport then why don't you use a paintball gun.... or stick to clay pigeons...

What I find a little unsettling about (some) shooters is their total lack of respect for the animals and their environment combined with an enjoyment of killing. You may have some respect for your environment Sportsman, but the tw&ts that drive their 4x4s to a remote field, to the already set up corporate hospitality tent, point their guns down a field while a bunch of 'oiks' try and frigthen tame birds into flying into their path don't.

I am not an oik, my father was a gamekeeper, I worked as a beater for him. These 'tame' pheasants were reared at great cost and given plenty of time to become naturalised-as wild as stocked fish if not wilder- The intention is that the driven birds be they pheasant, partridge or grouse fly high and fast so that they are a difficult shot, not so they fly into an easy killing zone.

The people you call tw&ts spend a great deal of money allowing areas of the countryside remain as havens for ALL wildlife, not just game birds. this like anglers protecting our waterways is of great benefit to all our wildlife and were it not for such fieldsports the land would be open easily farmed priaries with no hedges copses or woodlands and no songbirds,voles, dormice etc.

Before you attack me and my Ideals, I don't shoot, I grew up shooting but prefer watching (as did my father but work was work) I never hunted except once with basset hounds- I dragged the aniseed scent trail, I used to be very fit!- but to call me and others like me an Oik or a tw&t without knowing or even seeking to know what goes on is disigenuous and in fact makes a mockery of any argument you might make.

IF YOUR DOG THINKS YOU ARE THE BEST

Don't seek a second opinion.

http://www.anglingireland.info

Fish Paintings

Linocut fishy prints..

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

mathew

I feel I owe you an apology regarding my last post which to be honest was rather too personal.

I would rather keep this discussion more general as I feel both sides could actually learn something from it, given open minds.

I am quite genuinely surprised at the attitude of many of the contributors to other fieldsports, they seem more anti than most antis. How does this equate with what they do?

As Peter says we are all hunters of one sort or another and surely we have more to unite us than to divide us.

My feeling comes from a genuine love of the countryside and countryside pursuits. Raised on a downmarket council estate my escape was into the surrounding fields and ponds. At that time we did things like collecting birds eggs which would be totally unacceptable now. During this time I must have developed an acute hunting instinct because I have shot and fished evr since. Now I am lucky enough to live in a beautiful place, and I can indulge myself a little. Mathew, when you talk about a total lack of respect for the country or its animals nothing could be further from the truth for myself or my friends, or in fact, anyone i know.

I will continue to fish and to shoot and to enjoy the occasioanl meal resulting from my pastimes :)

Let's agree to respect each others views, no matter how wrong yours may be.

Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity

http://www.safetypublishing.co.uk/
http://www.safetypublishing.ie/

Such huffing and puffing, and b'all of it about what brings us here to this site - going fishing then sharing our experiences and resulting ideas with others.

As Benjamin Franklin would have said, had he been a Brit: "In this country nothing can be said to be certain, except death, tax and foxes."

"What did you expect to see out of a Torquay hotel bedroom window? Sydney Opera House perhaps? The Hanging Gardens of Babylon? Herds of wildebeest sweeping majestically...?"

Basil Fawlty to the old bat, guest from hell, Mrs Richards.

I have more respect for the animals I shoot than you do for the fish you catch by the look of it.

Just who the hell are you trying to kid? I have deleted at least six times what I was going to reply. I have in the past been accused of being rude, and I wish not to incur the wrath of my peers on this site, but comments as above are ill conceived, and highly insulting to the person you were addressing, I would suggest you apologise to Matthew.

Sportsman seems like you already have!

As it happens rabbit that wasn't the bit I was apologising for. In fact the picture illustrated perfectly what I said in my previous post. My remark was far from ill conceived, in fact it was very carefully conceived As for trying to kid anyone, far from it, I have made my feelings completely clear and been honest with everyone, including myself.

I suggest you wind your neck in!

BTW please don't feel you have to hold back from being rude on my account, I think you'll find I can give as good as I get :)

Why dont you find another forum to post on? this should be about angling, and not killing, and not knocking decent people who actually want to preserve life. OK!!!

as usual this thread has gone down the pan!

I'll find another forum to post on when I want to, and I'll stop posting on this one if asked to by the people who run it.

As for wanting to preserve life I have worked as a nurse and paramedic for the past 36 years, working in places in Africa and Asia that you couldn't imagine, in conditions that you wouldn't understand, let alone believe, so don't lecture me!

As far as killing goes, you seem to understand less about shooting than even I thought you did, which was rather my point about learning from each other and keeping an open mind.

I am still waiting for someone to justify the weighing and photographing I queried earlier.

Paul, B'all to do with fishing? I didn't start the thread, I just responded to it and my questions are very relevant to fishing as it is reported on these threads

I was not lecturing you, however you seem to be the one that is doing all the lecturing!! you condemn anglers for photographing their catch, times have moved on Sportsman, considerate anglers no longer keep their catch in keepnets, and no longer do you see 100lb of bream laid out on grass for the camera. We now photograph individual fish in a manner that causes no harm to the fish at all. Barbel handling has improved immensly in recent years, carp are a lot more tolerant of handling and yet the care given by carp anglers is admirable. I would and I suspect every angler would rather not catch that specimen fish, than be implicated in its death.

Their are always exceptions but good anglers will always attempt to educate less experienced. Non anglers would be amazed at just how far we anglers go to look after our fish. How often have you heard 'them' say they don't understand why we catch and 'throw them back' and not to eat them.

Better we keep our memories on film than behind a glass cas wouldn't you say?

Hope that answers your question