Whiting Time.

Guest @AUTUMN@

Guest @AUTUMN@

The whiting are shoaling at Whitby. They were late to arrive this year but theye are here on mass now. You can catch as many as you want on the beaches or pier. Makeral, Squid etc being the best bait.

Whiting fishing aint my cup of tea but if you want to catch some fish then they are there for the taking. :):D

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Are whiting bottom feeders? or is a float best?

They're normally bottom feeders but are known to move around in mid water on occasion, in fact locating where to fish (depth) is often the key to whiting fishing. I use small movable booms on a paternoster rig for this reason, relatively short snoods in most cases and fairly large hooks to try to stop the pins from impaling themselves...

Voracious little buggers too and mind how you unhook them - they have tiny razor sharp teeth and it is only on the way home on cold nights that you realise the buggers have whipped the skin off around your finger... or is that only me! Something to be careful with if you are introducing kids to fishing...

Being smallish fish they prefer relatively calm conditions and neap tides towards dusk are pretty ideal.

HTH

Kieran Hanrahan

Catch this release... www.sea-angling-ireland.org

They're normally bottom feeders but are known to move around in mid water on occasion, in fact locating where to fish (depth) is often the key to whiting fishing. I use small movable booms on a paternoster rig for this reason, relatively short snoods in most cases and fairly large hooks to try to stop the pins from impaling themselves...

Voracious little buggers too and mind how you unhook them - they have tiny razor sharp teeth and it is only on the way home on cold nights that you realise the buggers have whipped the skin off around your finger... or is that only me! Something to be careful with if you are introducing kids to fishing...

HTH

Thanks.

Skippy

So many questions so little time....

will keep the kids happy just to catch one or 2 reasonable sized fish :P I think they are tiring of catching tiddlers on sarborough pier. Whats the minimum size for whiting?

Kieran when you say use biggish hooks that means what??? Id call the 4 and 5/0 's i use for cod biggish but too big for whiting?? I was thinking maybe 1/0. Its weird cause coarse angler i know baulk when they see the hooks i use :P

Skippy

So many questions so little time....

Hook sizes of around 1 give or take a size should suffice. Whiting have largeish mouths but they dont average the same size as Cod, so tackle should be scaled down appropriately. A 3 hook paternoster with size 1's baited with mackerel/squid strip should produce the goods. Whiting actually seem to like smellier than fresh baits, Ive had them on Mussel as well before so thats worth a go as long as you bind it on well.

flattie

Guest @AUTUMN@
Are they a decent size autumn??? Mates said northeast whities are all pan sized on average, which is nice. Treble shots of 1lbers would keep the rods bent nicely for a sesh :)

Our club size limit is 30 cm and 1 bloke had 26 last night over that size.