Kennet and Thames Flooding

arbocop

It's about as bad as it gets again, certainly no river fishing for the rest of this season but at least my house is dry.

Surely, it will drop out before Mid-March. It can't keep raining for another 2 weeks - can it? If so, I am going to build an ark, now where is a big cypress tree?

"I want some repairs done to my cooker as it has backfired and burnt my knob off."

The Thames here has been over its banks since early December, I can't see it dropping back to a normal level in the next 4 weeks, even if the rain stops now.

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

The kennet should be ok after a week or so, and I would imagine that most of the other Thames tributaries would be the same.

I have never seen flood water quite so clear, very odd. All the sediment must have been washed through.

On the bright side, it looks like I won't be able to get to work tomorrow. Trains are suspended between Reading and Paddington.

Mike

"I want some repairs done to my cooker as it has backfired and burnt my knob off."

....but at least my house is dry......

Good point, we'll be deprived of some fishing but that pales when compared to drying out houses and then dealing with insurance companies who will no doubt be looking for get out clauses. One poor bloke on the radio this morning was telling how the water came up through the floor of his house, he didn't live near a river, the water table just rose.

• Like 1

It's never a 'six', let's put it back

Good point, we'll be deprived of some fishing but that pales when compared to drying out houses and then dealing with insurance companies who will no doubt be looking for get out clauses. One poor bloke on the radio this morning was telling how the water came up through the floor of his house, he didn't live near a river, the water table just rose.

Drains are bursting and overflowing too. It's not just river water, in many cases - and this also affects the rivers and lakes - the flood water is nothing less than diluted sewage. Even though you clearly take on the risk when you buy, it must be horrific when it actually happens.

Can anyone recall when we last had a significant frost? I don't think I can recall when the roads were last gritted round here, was it in October?

Mike

Matthew a post on the TAC saying they have shut Walton Bridge ,many poor souls there have there houses under water fittings and fixtures ruined 2nd wet winter on the trot knee jerk dredging on the cards and what price another jet stream in the same spot next winter .

Best get some more Dutch wizards to look at it

Just been watching the news on BBC - and its going to get worse with more rain. I feel lucky to live on top of Sulham Hill. Not sure what my journey to Gloucester on Thursday is going to look like ....

Drains are bursting and overflowing too. It's not just river water, in many cases - and this also affects the rivers and lakes - the flood water is nothing less than diluted sewage. Even though you clearly take on the risk when you buy, it must be horrific when it actually happens.

Can anyone recall when we last had a significant frost? I don't think I can recall when the roads were last gritted round here, was it in October?

Mike

Yes it was around October then Mike - I can remember my net getting frozen to the reeds one evening after an autumn boris - seems like a long time ago now

Matthew a post on the TAC saying they have shut Walton Bridge ,many poor souls there have there houses under water fittings and fixtures ruined 2nd wet winter on the trot knee jerk dredging on the cards and what price another jet stream in the same spot next winter .

Best get some more Dutch wizards to look at it

Turns out bridge was shut for resurfacing,wtf it`s a new bridge ??? well a ytear or so old

We are not putting it back it is a lump now put that curry down and go and get the scales

have I told you abouit the cruise control on my Volvo ,,,,,,,bla bla bla Barder rod has it come yet?? and don`t even start me on Chris Lythe :bleh::icecream: