Kennet and Thames Flooding

arbocop

The media is currently full of self-appointed experts on dredging. Yesterday some bimbo from a fashion magazine was pontificating on the subject in "Tomorrow's Papers" . Never heard such rubbish - switched the telly off to save both electricity and my blood pressure.

A little story re dredging.

Years ago, when shipping still used the London Docks, it was considered necessary to dredge the river to maintain access to the docks for the larger ships.

The guys chartered to carry out the dredging did a good job, and took the silt downstream and discharged it into the outer estuary.

However, these guys were much more aware of tidal currents than the doughnuts of the Dock Authority, and carefully discharged the silt exactly where it would travel back upstream (on successive flood tides) to the very point they had just dredged it from - thus ensuring they had a permanent job!

It was some years before an in-depth oceanographic study of the Thames Estuary revealed what was going on......

Anyone interested could google "Thames estuary, dredging of", and the buzz-word is "null point" which might be of interest to estuarine anglers also.

Try this for a start

http://www.pla.co.uk/Environment/Physical-Processes

Edited by Vagabond

RNLI Governor

World species 471 : UK species 105 : English species 95 .

Certhia's world species - 215

Eclectic "husband and wife combined" world species 501

"Nothing matters very much, few things matter at all" - Plato

...only things like fresh bait and cold beer...

The media is currently full of self-appointed experts on dredging.

Its funny... It doesn't seem to matter how many times the experts repeat "dredging would not have helped alleviate the floods" people still keep banging on about it as if the EA deliberately laid waste to hundreds of acres of Somerset and Oxfordshire by flicking off the 'dredge' switch. I think its got more to do with human nature - and wanting someone to blame for this - than any kind of reality... And the 24/7 media encourage this nonsense because it gives them something to talk about...

• Like 1

Rusty worrying pictures I drove over the lambourne but hard to see for sure the level today it don`t look though ,Went to the island to check on the boat and it`s dropped from this

IMG_0175_zps0ab77db8.jpg

to this

IMG_0185_zpsabd4a521.jpg

the fields for as far as you can see are un der water deep in places reckon a lot of this field is 3` under

IMG_0182_zps2183a57b.jpg

Army and fire engines arrived to pump out some houses backing onto the fields above whilst we were there poor sods .

This wide beam was left and pulled out it`s pins in the flow coming to rest against the bridge on the island with someone managing to get a front anchoir out to stop her getting pinned sideways ....luycky lucky owner .

IMG_0187_zpsc3ec0acd.jpg

saw 6 little egrets in the field by the car park as we left and this was acroos the river by the island....not the only one I am sure

IMG_0183_zps5a57857a.jpg

Great pics Steve!

Just seen on facebook a tree has fallen into the river behind the clothing warehouse causing two rivers way to flood.

Wonder if they will remove it, could be an interesting new feature if left in situ

Unlikely to be removed in the short term. It's deemed - or was until yesterday - a red card area. meaning that the EA or their contractors can't work on it due to high water and strong current.

Mike

"I want some repairs done to my cooker as it has backfired and burnt my knob off."

Greg - until you become a full member after 15 posts, yours won't appear until they are approved by a mod. If you post, we'll see a new one needing approval but there are only a few of us and some times it may take an hour or four before the post is seen.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

What's wrong happend there?

JV44 was asking if I recognised the photo. It's where we parked up when we fished there last year, there was a bunch of Polish guys fishing there down by the water's edge, which is about 12 feet underwater in the photo.