East Lothian Report

David.W

After a bit of a drive I met up with Matt (Arthurcodsbody) in the car park at Belhaven Beach before moving to the bit by the strange bridge and walked down to the water (had about 30 mins to low water). we set up a rod each as it was a bit windy (that is an understatment) and started to wait for bites... after almost 2 hours and not even seeing a bite but the wind getting stronger, we decided to move.

After a bit of running about ended up at Thornton Loch, the beach beside Torness power station, it looked great, so we set up again, a lot less wind too :) .

I got a couple of what looked like bites but didn't come to anything, then Matt brought in the biggest shore crab I've seen, moody thing too, wanted to take me on :blink:

As the sun started to go down we decided to give up and go home. The conditions weren't good with the wind from the land and the water was clear. As we gave up there was a lot of weed that had been left on the beach starting to hold in the water too.

Oh well, better luck next time :) Still had a great time, fresh air and a great fishing partner.

I will stick up a pic of the monster crab later when I have a bit more time.

I've been to Scrabster... and I want to go back!!!

Ah well gets you oot oh the house ,better luck next time Dave.

save-our-sharks member

SACN Member

SFSA Member

"Time is never wasted

When your wasted all the time

Nil Desperandum

Ah well gets you oot oh the house ,better luck next time Dave.

So true, thanks mate.

P.S. I haven't forgoten the pics for you, just been really busy, will get them to you soon.

Hi David, i gather you didnt stay at thre belhaven car park because of the hundresd of caravans? I was hopig theyd moved by now! The end at the biel bridge is much poorer, the end close to the tyne mouth(oposite end of beach), or even in the river itself fishes so much better. As for thorntonloch, you got it in one, it really needs a wind blowing onshore sending a big surge up the beach before the fish show. Glad you guys enjoyed.

Tight Lines

Shaun

Better luck next time david ;)

Looking forward to the giant crab photo :o

Fishing digs on the Mull of Galloway - recommend

HERE

babyforavatar.jpg

Me when I had hair

Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy

Hi David, i gather you didnt stay at thre belhaven car park because of the hundresd of caravans? I was hopig theyd moved by now! The end at the biel bridge is much poorer, the end close to the tyne mouth(oposite end of beach), or even in the river itself fishes so much better. As for thorntonloch, you got it in one, it really needs a wind blowing onshore sending a big surge up the beach before the fish show. Glad you guys enjoyed.

Shaun,

We parked up at the car park that is in to the right of the enterance to the John Muir park, is there a road that takes you to the other end of the beach? we couldn't seem to find one. We worked out it would take about a week to walk along with the wind and crossing the marsh. Didn't see any caravans though.

I think we will be back sometime though.

About 2 weeks ago the car park was cramed with travelers and no-one would park thier cars, things must be back to normal. At the carpark on the left hand side there is a kiddies play park and as brown toilet block. Although toward sea from here it looks like an endless desert, it really isnt! Once your over the marsh, about a football pitch legnth, your right onto the sand dunes and the water. Stright out from the toilet blocks and anywhere to the left is a good stretch. It is a heck of a long walk if you decide to go to the river mouth though, and there is no road to it, its a nature reserve. The beach usually fishes well, not so much for numbers but for 1lb plus flatties. Ive seen about a dozen flounder tipping the magical 2lb mark, and have even managed to catch one of them myself! Good spot for turbot also.

Edited by Spur-Hound

Tight Lines

Shaun