Big Pirch

sam-cox

I am a bass fanatic and as autumn turns to winter normally target chub.

But this year I fancy a change and intend on targeting large pirch.

Im not a novice at caurse fishing, but was hopeing that some of you guys may have some tips.

I understand that dawn and dusk are prime times and that lobs and small live baits work.

The venues I intend to fish are two gravel pits, one is about 2 achers and the othere about 16 achers, they are both very deep up to 15 feet in places and are full of feachers. I also intend on fishing local rivers, the Chelmer, Blackwater, cam and wid, all Essex river.

Could I target them the same as bass regarding live baits? just scaled down, for exarmple patonostered small fish like gold fish.Ive had large pike on very small gold fish.

I would be greatfull for your feed back.

Edited by sam-cox

BASS MEMBER

IGFA Member.

Supporting ethical angling practices and wise use and conservation of fishery resources!

SACN Member.

NFSA Member.

Getting confused by politics!

MY LIST IS LONGER THAN YOURS!

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

thanx.

BASS MEMBER

IGFA Member.

Supporting ethical angling practices and wise use and conservation of fishery resources!

SACN Member.

NFSA Member.

Getting confused by politics!

MY LIST IS LONGER THAN YOURS!

goldfish for livebaits? did you catch them at the venue?

Ive often considered how effective theyd be but i wouldnt want to risk the spread of desease.

I had same thought.

Sam you can only use live baits caught from the venue, the number you can catch and use is also restricted but this may be covered by local bye laws.

RUDD

Different floats for different folks!

Although Im happy to break the bye laws by moving fish for use as bait I wont do this with goldfish!

Two reasons really.From a bait point of veiw despite ornementals often being very visible their intensive/selective breeding has made them quite delicate and frail.Not what you need for a good livebait.

Secondly the ornemental trade is rife with disease and there is a very real risk of introducing some very nasty diseases indeed.

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

Fancy seeing you here Sam, great minds think alike. It must be all the talk of 'lovely pan sized whiting' that has seen our attentions wander. :lol:

Ricey, I see you are also a perch fan on the Chelmer. I've been targetting them on and off with my brother for a few years now. How have you been getting on?

Sam

As you are popping over to Kent; the Medway is having a good run of big Perch at the moment with several 2lbs plus fish being reported from my club waters, particularly around Yalding.

Tony

Tony

After a certain age, if you don't wake up aching in every joint, you are probably dead.