Is "realtree" Really Necessary?

Gaz51

Now I know this can be a controversial subject so please don't go off on one! :unsure:

Whenever I go carping or stalking I tend to wear subdued clothing ie Olive combats and muted colour clothing as a matter of course.

I've looked at, but I'm afraid cannot bring myself round to buying camo gear/Realtree.

My question is - Does the wearing of Realtree have any significant effect on your success rate as an angler?

The thing is, the whole subject of camo, to me, is now verging on the ridiculous. I just cannot see the point in having camo sleeping bags in a bivvy, camo bedchairs etc, etc. Is it a gimmick which catches more anglers than fish?

I see many carp anglers (only just) done up like weekend warriors, they have camo everything!

I know it's a different fishing environment but many match anglers seem to fare well whilst carp fishing on commercials. Some match anglers wear garish coloured gear.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Personally, I think the whole camo thing is ridiculous also.

I can see why it would be wise when stalking fish maybe, but when in a bivvy? Nah, that's just silly. Often you are yards from your baits anyway so what difference would it make? None. And you are quite right, camo chairs and sleeping bags are utterly preposterous.

The only real advantage I could see is to prevent theiving pikies seeing it and stealing it!

No offence to camo kings out there you understand....

Some of it is helpful, some of it a bit OTT and some completely unecessary.

Thing is, it's a bit of a 'fashion' thing, in the same way that football fans wear football tops, motorsport fans may have caps and t-shirts, etc.

In my opinion, it does no harm, so why not? If you've got to buy a sleeping bag and like camo stuff, why not buy a camo one?

I know Julian still likes his Care Bears one, but there's always an exception :D

Anglers' Net Shopping Partners - Please Support Your Forum

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

CLICK HERE for Go Outdoors. HUGE discounts!

FOLLOW ANGLERS' NET ON TWITTER- CLICK HERE - @anglersnet

PLEASE 'LIKE' US ON FACEBOOK - CLICK HERE

Do we *have* to have animated girl's bottoms on AnglersNet?. I know they're all the rage over on Maggot Drowning, but I thought this forum was a bit more restrained...

I don't particularly want passers-by thinking I'm looking at dodgy websites - Yes, I know, I shouldn't be on non-work-related sites in office hours anyway.... :rolleyes:

Is there a need?

For expensive branded stuff, definitely not; for something that makes you and your gear blend in with your surroundings – definitely. I always wear clothing that blends in, either cheap camo or anything that’s green. I tend to buy last minute stuff on eBay – last pair of combats I got were about two quid I think.

Many people seem to think that carp can’t see above the water line, but they can, even if you are in your bivvy! Thus T-shirts and fluorescent shorts are not something I’d recommend.

Gaz – re the match comment, I see what you are saying but how many 30lb’ers do they pull out in a match – not many. Small carp in overstocked (commercial) venues have to eat to survive, simple. So they will take whatever is there as competition for food dictates it. As carp in ‘proper’ waters get bigger and wiser, they learn to associate danger with certain things that spook them so you have to work harder to catch them; thus any item of clothing that helps you see them before they see you can only be a good thing, but some price tags are rather extreme to say the least.

Realtree is the new stainless steel – the more you have the better angler you are. B)

As for the sleeping bag, I’ve dumped the Care Bears version in favour of my limited edition Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles one – a better shade of green, you see. :blink:

Mild Mannered Carp Angler By Day…

Read My Blog:Here! View My Gallery: Here!

www.NorthWestcarp.co.uk Home of the Northern Monkey!

I wear camo/realtree clothing all the time but dont really see the need in a bucket etc. I have always worn some sort of camo clothing its not a fashion thing to follow people because most my mates thing im mad when i go to college. But if you like something i dont see why peoples negative comments should bother you in the slightest. oh and one more thing i aint just a carp fisherman :P

Cheers

JPL

Gaz – re the match comment, I see what you are saying but how many 30lb’ers do they pull out in a match – not many.

I understand you perfectly Julian and know what you are saying.

OK, in the two scenarios (match and specimen) both targets are carp but in the specimen scenario we are not looking at an overstocked puddle are we? It's a valid point you make re 30lbers from "proper" waters.

I also understand what you are saying re carp seeing above the water line. Realtree maybe necessary whilst margin and close in work, I steer clear of the Day-Glo gear when fishing close in, but is it necessary when casting 50 yds+

As I said earlier, I tend to try and blend into the background with olive green combats etc but I'm afraid going the Realtree way seems a bit too serious for my liking. But that's only my opinion! :)

Edited by Gaz51

Gaz,

At distance I don’t suppose it makes much odds, but better safe than sorry if you know what I mean.

Jim,

With all due respect, I couldn’t disagree more! If I’m stalking in the margins and moving around from swim to swim in a bright white t-shirt, etc. There is *every* chance I’m going to spook fish. By wearing clothing that conceals me I’ve been able to get within inches of fish without them having a clue I’m there – and have then gone on to catch them. If I’d been wearing my Ronald McDonald romper suit, I’m sure they’d have busted me long before I was able to offer a hookbait. So I would unreservedly say YES; clothing which can mask you against your surroundings can help you put more fish on the bank.

... And as I’ve seen you wearing your fair share in photos over the years, can I take it you were just making a fashion statement?

With respect...

Julian

Mild Mannered Carp Angler By Day…

Read My Blog:Here! View My Gallery: Here!

www.NorthWestcarp.co.uk Home of the Northern Monkey!