Is "realtree" Really Necessary?

Gaz51

My question is - Does the wearing of Realtree have any significant effect on your success rate as an angler?

Experience leads me down the path of the no vote I'm afraid, the only way I can see it having an effect is if you like wearing it, & feel more confident whilst wearing it, then you may just fish a little better than without it.

But the reality is, clothing in muted Browns, greens, & greys is every bit as effective. As long as your not standing out like a Belisha beacon, the real camouflage is simply being absolutely still...no noise! then if there are Carp in your area they will come in right under your nose.

However, if wearing realtree is your thing no worries it won't harm your fishing.

Peter.

The loose lines gone..STRIKE.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Does the wearing of Realtree have any significant effect on your success rate as an angler?

post-6181-1131475839_thumb.jpg

I discussed the possible advatages of Realtree with my daughter Helen. I think she remained un-impressed :D

I wear camo/realtree clothing all the time but dont really see the need in a bucket etc. I have always worn some sort of camo clothing its not a fashion thing to follow people because most my mates thing im mad when i go to college. But if you like something i dont see why peoples negative comments should bother you in the slightest. oh and one more thing i aint just a carp fisherman :P

let me guess? your a part time sniper! <_<

i spose drab clothing has its place! think real tree is fairly pointless as your back ground on the bank rarly matches the camo pattern unless your wearing british army gear (but then u look like a real action man)

think the tackle companys have worked out ther ar a lot of carpers out ther with more money than sence!

youv all seen them! the blocks that think it depends on how flash your gear is and how much of a pro u look, is in direct relation to how skillful a fisherman u ar!

Edited by geffaz

Realtree - maybe not but camo in general, why not.

As noted, it certainly can't hurt, may help at times, and will be clothing designed for outdoors wear. I'd have to say that wearing camo if it suits you is great. If not, don't.

I like these because they are sturdy, cut large, have a pocket, and cost me $6 for short sleeve and $7 for long sleeve. I have over a dozen short and half-dozen long sleeve ones.

camo_t.jpg

As to not being able to match up to your surroundings, here are a few options and if you wish, you can also get a number of 'marsh' patterns and a few 'snow' patterns. I can certainly get similar garments in non-camo but they aren't as easy to find in the fabric I like.

camo_shirts.jpg

camo_patterns.jpg

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

Frankly I think camo gear is nonsense. As my cousin pointed out, the best fisherman on any given lake is a heron - who simply stands still and doesn't find it necessary to don a ridiculously overpriced garment to catch fish. Stealth and minimal movement is the order of the day.

Julian, I think you're confusing camouflaged clothing with subdued clothing. The original question related to Realtree-type camouflage - which I doubt would make one scrap of difference. Likewise DRP (standard army-type disrupted pattern camouflage). Subdued clothing (olive, brown, grey, dark green etc.) is another matter entirely - it makes sense to wear clothing that won't be conspicuous. But that wasn't the original questioners query, was it?

In short, if you're fishing close-in: Subdued clothing (camouflaged if you must) - good. Conspicuuous clothing - bad.

If you're fishing a long way out, it doesn't matter either way.

And even camouflaged or subdued clothing won't help an angler who makes himself conspicuous by too much movement, or makes his presence evident by being noisy. I've seen Realtree-clad carp anglers (wearing white baseball caps, which suggests they've missed the point somewhat) proceed to batter hell out of bivvy-pegs with a mallet.

The words "lost" and "plot" spring to mind....

As my cousin pointed out, the best fisherman on any given lake is a heron

Really? I’d like to see one stalk a twenty out of the margins. :D

Jim,

Not confusing the two as such, as I noted earlier in the thread I’m not one of those that decks head to toe in the stuff; DPM, realtree, or whatever. As you say, as long as it’s something neutral then that’s fine and that’s what I’ll be found wearing on the bank. It’s just that your one word answer intimated (at least to me) that you were saying you could wear *whatever* colour clothing you liked on the bank without any detriment, but obviously your expanded reply explains things.

Fully agree with those that miss the point, but then their inability to use stealth on the bank just leaves more fish for me. B)

Cheers…

Julian

Mild Mannered Carp Angler By Day…

Read My Blog:Here! View My Gallery: Here!

www.NorthWestcarp.co.uk Home of the Northern Monkey!

Really? I’d like to see one stalk a twenty out of the margins. :D

have had a twenty in the margin, wearing a bright yellow tee shirt, beleive these clothes are there to catch the angler, not the angler the fish. by the way do normally wear dark clothes while fishing.