Is "realtree" Really Necessary?

Gaz51

I can understand some anglers need to be seen in "the right" gear, I expect it is one of those peer group thingies, but.....in a tackle shop?????????

I went to buy a few bits and bobs the other day, and I thought I had stumbled into an army barracks. Loads of guys(?) dressed in full camo outfits, all in deep discussion on the merits of one boily or other.

I have worn ex army gear for almost all my fishing life, starting in 1948 with an "Officers" tunic top (lots of pockets and street cred) :)

And only last year I bought an ex army camo jacket, not so I wouldn't be seen or recognised :) but simply because it was cheap and doesn't show the dirt to easily.

Realtree? why not, totally harmless, and if the blokes (and Gals) wearing it are happy, then why not, it may not help them to catch more fish, but it certainly won't lessen their chances either.

All the best and most successful carpers I know, wear very little if any camo.

Den

I can understand some anglers need to be seen in "the right" gear, I expect it is one of those peer group thingies, but.....in a tackle shop?????????

I went to buy a few bits and bobs the other day, and I thought I had stumbled into an army barracks. Loads of guys(?) dressed in full camo outfits, all in deep discussion on the merits of one boily or other.

I have worn ex army gear for almost all my fishing life, starting in 1948 with an "Officers" tunic top (lots of pockets and street cred) :)

And only last year I bought an ex army camo jacket, not so I wouldn't be seen or recognised :) but simply because it was cheap and doesn't show the dirt to easily.

Realtree? why not, totally harmless, and if the blokes (and Gals) wearing it are happy, then why not, it may not help them to catch more fish, but it certainly won't lessen their chances either.

All the best and most successful carpers I know, wear very little if any camo.

Den

"When through the woods and forest glades I wanderAnd hear the birds sing sweetly in the trees;When I look down from lofty mountain grandeur,And hear the brook, and feel the breeze;and see the waves crash on the shore,Then sings my soul..................

for all you Spodders. https://youtu.be/XYxsY-FbSic

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Blimey Mark, your camo is REALLY good, I can't see a thing :)

Den

"When through the woods and forest glades I wanderAnd hear the birds sing sweetly in the trees;When I look down from lofty mountain grandeur,And hear the brook, and feel the breeze;and see the waves crash on the shore,Then sings my soul..................

Want to read an article on camouflage then look at:

http://journal.aiga.org/content.cfm?Conten...cle&aid=1119503

The most interesting bit, I thought, was the opening statement:

"Camouflage, you might think, is about blending in. But just as often, and especially these days, it's about standing out. Camouflage hides shapes by generating hints of many other possible shapes. Instead of staying silent, in other words, camouflage succeeds by being noisy: it hides signal with noise. Socially and esthetically, too, camouflage is more and more often about advertising allegiance."

Food for thought eh?

Edited by Tony U

Tony

After a certain age, if you don't wake up aching in every joint, you are probably dead.

As I said (twice :blink: ) Tony, it is all about belonging, especially in the carp world.

I find I even get "ignored" if I haven't put my bivvy up (I only do days), and the looks of disbelief I get when I catch one, what with my home made pods and swingers and motorised barrow......."shouldn't be allowed on the lake..."

Den

Den

If your home made pods and swingers are as impressive as your backleads, I suspect the looks are of admiration, not disbelief.

Post a picture of your motorised barrow it sounds interesting.

Tony

Tony

After a certain age, if you don't wake up aching in every joint, you are probably dead.

Den, if you develop a motorised barrow - or even a bog-standard version, come to that - that will levitate over stiles, fences and ditches, I'll commission you to make me one!

Failing the development of such an item, I guess I'll stick with loading my gear on my back!

PS. I don't use a bivvy, either. Come to think of it, I don't even own one.... If I need a shelter, I use a fifteen-quid Argos 45-inch brolly. But then I've never claimed to be a proper carp angler!

Jim, I used to "worry" about stiles and narrow bridges and fences, but where I actually fish the fences have gates and there are no stiles or narrow bridges.

I also used to "worry" about making the setup collapsable, but I now wheel it straight into the back of my van (I do remove all the tackle first :) ) Let someone else worry about those problems, I make things to suit me!!

Den

From my days as an Army Cadet, the following are methods of camouflage and concealment; Shape, Shine, Silhouette, Smell, Sound, Colour & Movement.

All of the above need to be taken into consideration for good camouflage and concealment.

So, with the above in mind and stood by the side of a lake, with no trees, bushes or cover, wouldn't sky blue be a good colour to wear? I'll leave you all to think about that one.

Besides, most carp stuff in tackle shops these days are for catching the angler and not so much for catching a carp. :P

Just my 2p. :)