Holding station

Norfolkdipper

Walking the dog along the R Wensum yesterday, made me think. I was looking at the flow & my guess was that a 6oz lead 'may' hold bottom, this lead me to :- How do fish hold station, for rest or feeding. I know aerodynamics comes into it, but it really shows the strength of fish, to stay in their respective territories even in such severe flow. So no wonder sometimes when we strike into a bite, we can have such a fight, nearly lose the fish, bend the rod double & eventually land something about 8oz - just 2lb. I don't know about you but that makes me more respectful of the fish's way of life & what they have to go through.

Fishing is the most peaceful & solitary group activity a going. Every watewr is different every day, thanks for that as same would be boring....

I've been stood mid river in very strong flowing water and watched fish positioned mid water facing the current and barely moving yet holding station with seemingly no effort, sort of gliding like a bird facing the wind but without anything like the effort a bird has to use. When something looking like food came down streem towards them they just veered sideways either one way or the other to intercept it and then slid back to their positon without so much as a wriggle.I've also watched fish when i've realeased them and they've just sat on the bottom in the flow no effort at all. Obviously evolution has made them perfect for their life below the surface.

All,

I suppose this is a good time to mention fish secrete mucus or slime over the body to reduce frictional drag.

Phone

Good one Phone: :bigemo_harabe_net-163: :bigemo_harabe_net-163:

All,

I suppose this is a good time to mention fish secrete mucus or slime over the body to reduce frictional drag.

Phone

Despite that the carp I used to take out of the upper Lea as a kid gave considerable more fight per pound than their lazy lake cousins...

Despite that the carp I used to take out of the upper Lea as a kid gave considerable more fight per pound than their lazy lake cousins...

They still do on the upper Lea today :fishing1:

Keith (BoldBear)

• Like 1

Happiness is Fish shaped (it used to be woman shaped but the wife is getting on a bit now)