Paravane

dickandjill

Does anyone know where I can get a small ADJUSTABLE(for depth) Paravane for trolling with rubber eels etc.?

I believe you can get one with several different hole positions to change the angle and therefore the depth to which it will dive to.

Thanks

Richard

:D Try Sharnbrook Tackle. I've got a couple of theirs, one large, one small, both work OK. :rolleyes:

Guest franticfisherman2

I've got one called a "fish-seeker" which is adjustable and works well. I think I got thro an advert in Sea Angler a few years ago. Sorry I can't remeber the company tho. It will dive to 80 feet (they claim) it may do this but the lure would have to be quite small. I have definitely had it at 50 feet with a deadbait. The depth reached depends on the lure size or rather the drag it creates, the trolling speed and the length of line put out behind the boat. I found a release clip was essential and had to make one cos the one supplied did not work. There are some available which are directional, they will plane to one side and go shallower depending on how far the weight under the vane is rotated. they are used a great deal in the States so Cabelas will have a good selection. If you want more details I could post up a pic. good luck!

Edited by franticfisherman2

I've got one called a "fish-seeker" which is adjustable and works well. I think I got thro an advert in Sea Angler a few years ago. Sorry I can't remeber the company tho. It will dive to 80 feet (they claim) it may do this but the lure would have to be quite small. I have definitely had it at 50 feet with a deadbait. The depth reached depends on the lure size or rather the drag it creates, the trolling speed and the length of line put out behind the boat. I found a release clip was essential and had to make one cos the one supplied did not work. There are some available which are directional, they will plane to one side and go shallower depending on how far the weight under the vane is rotated. they are used a great deal in the States so Cabelas will have a good selection. If you want more details I could post up a pic. good luck!

Thanks for your replies

Would a pic be possible Franticfisherman so I know what I'm looking for.Also how does the release clip work?

Thanks

Richard

Delta tackle in Plymouth make them. I have one of each, but I've not used them yet. They are adjustable for depth and direction, and allegedly plane up when you get a fish on.

Franticfisherman2 - How do you get it to go deeper, more line out or less? I've found I need more line out when using plugs on their own.

Like Fresh coffee? www.Bean14.com

Guest franticfisherman2

first pic shows the fishseeker and general layout of the release mechanism. The lure trace is attached to the BB swivel on the right and the mainline is attached to the loop on the left. 2nd pic shows the release ready to use. Its probably best to use a fixed amount of line (I use 30 yds) speeding up the boat will make it dive deeper up to a limit but drag on the line will affect it as well.post-6118-1131734640_thumb.jpgpost-6118-1131734664_thumb.jpg

Thanks for the replies.

Dan: I would be most intrested in a pic or two of your homemade one.Also some idea of sizes/measurements would be handy.Thanks

Franticfisherman: Great pics.Thankyou.Does it take much pressure does it take to trip the release mechanism?

Richard

Guest franticfisherman2

The release will take a lot of steady pressure but a sharp tug by a fish or a pull on the rod will make it work. If you find it is too dificult or easy to work you can adjust things by bending wire, using thinner wire etc.

I had a good rummage in the garage but couldn't find the last one I had, but here is a MDF mock up I just made. I used mahogany about 4 to 6" x 1.5" x 0.75" You should be able to see how it works, you connect the main line to the hook at the top and the lure on a 12' trace at the back. If you catch a small fish it will flip over and you can see it on the surface. They are also great for hand lines if you do any sailing and want to leave a line out. You can also experiment with sizes, you might be able to get away with one much smaller one or alter the position of the eye on the top you attach to the main line to make it go deeper/shallower. (you could put in a number of them) I cut a 45 degree angle on mine and it took 5 mins to make!

They also float so if you stop, you dont foul the bottom!

dan

post-1503-1132013219_thumb.jpg

Edited by Dan

There's a fine line between fishing and standing on the shore like an idiot!

Its nice here! http://www.twfcorfu.com