New To The Board

shad

Hello all

First post on here, another of the SWFF board members going afloat.Based in South East Scotland and fish around East Lothian ,Berwickshire and Northumberland.Picking up my Prowler 13 this weekend 1ST Question ,do I strap the Yak down on to the roof bars or should I pad them with some foam pipe lagging? any tips on how to get it home in one piece would be very welcome.

Cheers Colin

Edited by shad

hello mate welcome! :D

havnt a yak yet but got one planned for feb! thinking prowler 15 or a tarpon ?

anyway besides the point!

cant give you any advise but your in the right place for info as ther a good bunch of lads on heer and they will trip over them selves to help u out!

think thers a thread named ,ive just got a roof rack, or words to that affect!

Edited by geffaz

Welcome aboard Shad, :D

It's always a good idea to protect both roof bars and yak with pipe lagging. Prowler 13 does have a small keel on it , so cutting out a section of the pipe lagging for the keel to sit in keeps the yak upright , it also stops it sliding around, but it's not ideal . Alternatively , roofbox.co.uk is worth checking out ,a good selection of purpose made carriers.

I am sure other members will have some good ideas for you to ponder over .

What species do you target on fly up there Shad?

Thanks all

I will use the lagging and straps when I pick it up ,was really lucky to find one only 80 miles away.Hope to take it out on a Loch on the way home,Oh Oh my new toy.

Chuggs its Bass and Sea trout I mainly fish for in shallow water marks with some Pollack ,Coalies and Mackeral on deeper marks,but these are hard to reach and fish, a Yak will really change this next summer.Good Cod fishing up here aswell so I will be hoping to add them to the list once I get confident on the Sea.

Cheers Colin

Hi Shad,

Something really obvious that might be worth mentioning, rather than presume you know, Is that you load your yak with the keel onto the bars then turn it over and tie it down(at least that's how I do it).Makes it much more secure.

Good fishing

Jon.

Edited by musket

"Some times the earth appears stale,flat and tedious, when lifes petty restrictions strangles the spirit and when a crowd of fellow mortals affects one as a collection of hopeless and soulless oafs,then all that is left to you is to take to the sea"

Welcome on Board, there is always room for SWFFers.

Regarding grey pipe lagging on the roof bars, it's great when you first use it but eventually with the weather and dead flies attaching themselves to it, it'll turn quite nasty and eventually start leaving lines across the deck of the yak, these can be difficult to remove, personally I'd invest in a pair of proper roof bar pads like the windsurfers use, had a pair for years leave them on all the time and no marks.

SM :)

http://www.anglersafloat.co.uk

Kayaks: Ocean Kayak Caper (Sunrise)

Ocean Kayak Scupper Pro

Ocean Kayak Malibu 2 XL (Sunrise)

Ocean Kayak Trident 15

Wilderness Systems Tarpon 140 Angler (Yellow)

Malibu Mini-X

A member of B.A.S.S www.ukbass.com