10 November, 1975

severus

Just in case anyone was wondering how a decent size ship could be sunk from conditions on a lake, here is a shot of Lake Michigan (same group of Great Lakes) taken near South Haven, Michigan this past Wednesday.

wind_lake_michigan.jpg

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

Skippy i know what you mean about Piper Alpha i was onboard a Drilling Rig that was less than 20 miles from it that day 6th July 1988 when 167 lives were lost.

Still in my mind and i still work out here.

Edited by blindog

save-our-sharks member

SACN Member

SFSA Member

"Time is never wasted

When your wasted all the time

Nil Desperandum

This thread set me thinking on the Solway Harvester which is a more recent tragedy. Most of the dead came from a tiny little village called the Isle of Whithorn. Whilst the disaster may have been a lot smaller in terms of the overall numbers of fatalities, the size of the little village to lose so many of its young men was devastating.

When my kids were younger I used to have a caravan in the isle, and my son cut his teeth in sea fishing around the area. I re-visited the village a couple of years after the disaster and the difference in atmosphere was tangible. It may have been my expectation of change or the re-living of fond memories, but the village seemed perceptibly quieter and more sombre.

Tragedy and the sea, unfortunately, seem to be fellow travellers.

Ferox are more than Mythical. www.darkmileferox.co.uk