Canoeists & Anglers

Elton

Latest from FACT added here:

http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/news/articles/693.html

Anglers' Net Shopping Partners - Please Support Your Forum

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

CLICK HERE for Go Outdoors. HUGE discounts!

FOLLOW ANGLERS' NET ON TWITTER- CLICK HERE - @anglersnet

PLEASE 'LIKE' US ON FACEBOOK - CLICK HERE

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"Often rivers have no public navigation rights because unmarked in-river structures such as weirs, hatches, low bridges and waterfalls make them unsafe to navigate."

I've just had a terrible vision of pollution by signage:

"These rocks are slippery when wet"

"Low Bridge"

"Immersion in cold water may make you inhale sharply"

Dear Peter,

I'm definitely "not" having a pop at you here, but will you explain why you don't appear to be happy about moves being made in this area please?

I happen to believe this issue has great implications for many river anglers. Perhaps not me or you either Peter seeing as a lot of our own personal fishing is undertaken within river environments sometimes awash with boat traffic, but as for other river anglers? Other river environments? I'm also mindful of the upper Trent.

Regards,

Lee.

My local club river has limited navigation for small outboards and rowing club boats however beyond navigation head I often have trouble with rowing boats going through very streamy sections of river.

This is a real problem as you can imagine.

Is this allowed.

thanks

john

Lee, selfishness, plain and simple. Canoes and anglers don't mix well, never have and never will. Canoes go where anglers go, and very often the canoists are high spirited youngsters who have no respect for peace and quiet. Where canoes go there is a high risk of boats following. Canoing is great fun, poking around up backwaters, going off the beaten track, visiting rivers where there are no other boats. In short, mucking up what anglers need, that is being able to be left alone. I can not see where FACT is coming from on this one. The inevitable question has to be, has FACT asked it's membership before agreeing to spoil what so many anglers hold dear? No, I didn't think so. I wonder, would their membership agree to opening up all the carp lakes for canoists? I was happy to support the principle of FACT but this has completely destroyed their credibility in my eyes. FACT, baaaaaaaaaaaa. Unless, ofcourse, I have misread their press release!

Edited by Peter Waller

Dear Peter,

Seeing as FACT decided to obviously ask Elton to place its press release on AN I would hope that one of the FACT team might like to come on here to perhaps elaborate upon what is after all, a sketchy release of information?

Given the "limited wording" of the FACT release, I certainly have a number of questions concerning this one.

Regards,

Lee.

Basically, Matthew, it seems to me that the British Canoe Union wishes to have unrestricted access to every inch of waterway in this country. Whether they wish to pay for it is another matter. Rather like the 'Right to roam', only on water. They are to water what the Ramblers Association is to land, a very powerful lobby group.

Re the cost Matthew, at its worst it means that canoists could bid for a river and kick anglers off. I have been involved with the consultation on this one regarding the River Waveney. The canoists have powerful friends and a university working group on their side. Unlike anglers the canoists are organised, very organised.

I agree with peter on this in that canoeists and anglers simply dont mix, i recall a piking session on a river that is restricted to canoes etc only to have a sodding canoe take out both of my rods, whilst using obvious brightly coloured floats, snagged me up with 1 rod and kept on paddling with no offer of a sorry, if id have had a canoe id have been after the xxxx!

In addition to this i prefer my rivers to be unmanaged and less angler freindly as it is a great put off to the majority (thankfully).

Edited by zedhead

In addition to this i prefer my rivers to be unmanaged and less angler freindly as it is a great put off to the majority (thankfully).

Spot on mate.

I was reading some of Des Taylors usual tripe the other week suggesting that roads should be constructed along our riverbanks to make them more accessible. One thing that you can be sure of on a river is that the mile and a half between you and the car will filter out the angling slobs. The chances are that you will not see another person all day (bliss) and if you do they will likely be a real enthusiast, travelling light and respecting the countryside.

Give me a bit of wilderness anyday.