Canoeists & Anglers

Elton

Get 100 burly match anglers fishing down at the Henley Regatta ?

Fishing 6oz leads on beachcasters? :D

But seriously - "obvious health benefits to the nation"? My arse. Anyone who want to canoe can already freely do so. No extra access is needed.

Quite. Along with some rubbish about it enabling us to do well in the Olympics. Well, frankly, I have about as much interest in the Olympics as the BBC had in reporting England's four victories in the world angling championship this year. England won gold in the junior, intermediate, senior and ladies competitions this year, and I heard not a mention of it.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dear Guys,

Sorry to harp on, but can we have someone, anyone, from FACT come on here to state exactly what it is they are doing? Asked again because I don't actually "know" what it is the press release is supposed to be telling us.

Confused from the sticks.

Lee.

Sorry to harp on, but can we have someone, anyone, from FACT come on here to state exactly what it is they are doing? Asked again because I don't actually "know" what it is the press release is supposed to be telling us.

My interpretation of the statement in plain English would be:

We pay our way. We always have. We have contributed financially to making the rivers as pleasant as they are. Some rivers are not suitable for canoes anyway. Why don't you try paying your own way for a change, you cheeky freeloading b******s?

I'm not sure I'd make a very good press officer, politician or diplomat, though. Maybe someone from FACT can correct me?

Edited by Steve Walker

Car parks etc at launching sites being one example.

You mean that something like This or These could cause parking problems?

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

Sorry guys, I lost my login and could not access the boards for posting.

Steve has it about right, but as you might appeciate not in the words that we might use in fact.

The BCU are looking for legislated rights of access to all waters. The FACT position is that negotiated access is the way forward. That position is shared, at the moment, by Her Majesty's Government and FACT is seeking to get them to keep to their present view.

We fought, as NAA, to keep water out of CROW, Countryside Rights of Way Act, and succeeded. We believe that controlled access on certain waters, agreed with the riparian owners, and paid for, is the only way forward for equitable use of our waterways by an increased number of users. That is not selling anglers down the river, it is living in the real world where if increased access is not agreed and paid for, then the government, this one or a future one, might just legislate as they did for land access. Then we would have no control on our rivers, especially the habitats which would be prone to damage from unrestricted access all year.

BCU want free acccess for all paddlers. They paddled to the House of Commons this last week and the press release was in support of statements made by FACT and the CLA at that time. Unfortunately it was not widely reported and so the press release on its own without back up press stories covering the BCU event did not make a whole amount of sense. Just one of the problems we face when rushing to get something out to beat deadlines for the nationals when we all have full time jobs as well. And I could not get on here to answer the question from Peter in the first place.

Mike

Join the SAA today for only £10.00 and help defend angling.

Thank you for that Mike, but I'm sorry, I am not convinced.

Newt, re car parks, yes, they are the beasts, along with cars for the paddlers etc. This is a problem as perceived by anglers, although we would benefit by being able to use them. But the need for these car parks, way out in our rather limited wilderness, was raised by canoists themselves.

Two trailer fulls of canoes barging through Adams Mill on the Ouse should illustrate the point!

As far as I am concerned private land is just that - i.e. private. Landowners should able to choose exactly who they allow to set foot on their land and how much they charge for the privilege . Ok so they may be a gray area around footpaths and bridleways, etc, but only if these go right to to the water's edge.

what about people who fish from kayaks? Im totaly against these blanket statements made by some people saying that all canoeists are trouble makers. Its like everything in life 2 sides. Dont tell me you guys have never had an encounter with a rude/awkward angler who has total disrespect for fellow anglers and posibly worse total lack of repect for fish?! I certainly have when fishing.

As someone who both fishes sea and course AND as someone who enjoys kayaking i feel both sides of this debate. I really do think there has to be some sort of compromise. Id love to be able to fish some more private and secluded waterways from my kayak, but i know i would do so with utmost respect for other anglers be they from the shore or kayak. But i agree a free opening of waterways could allow swathes of peviously quiet areas to be ruined.

Dont tell me you guys have never had an encounter with a rude/awkward angler who has total disrespect for fellow anglers and posibly worse total lack of repect for fish?!

Absolutely true. But that angler, at the very least, needed a rod licence and some kind of permission (probably *paying*) to be where he was. And serious misbehaviour might lead to the loss of his/her fishing rights.

There's no "absolute" right to fish any river for an angler.

For the canoeing fraternity to seek such a right - or anything close to it - would seem a tad unjust, no?

Bleeding heart liberal pinko, with bacon on top.

Island, you are right in what you say. I do just as you do, where it is allowed. But I'm quite aware that me quietly poking around in a Canadian canoe is a different beast to scores of canoes just going from A to B. I'm quite prepared to forsake freedom of the backwaters as being preferable to loosing them as angling retreats.