Canoeists & Anglers

Elton

Ok - so we just keep the rivers open to fisherman - Yea Right.

Nobody is suggesting that. Rivers are not "open" to anglers, unless they are licenced and (nearly always) paying for the privilege of accessing certain waters.

From a previous post :

"From the BCU website, the wording of the early day motion:

That this house urges the government to extend legislation on access to the countryside to allow canoeists and other non-powered craft the same access rights as those provided for walkers in England and Wales... "

In other words a "right to roam". Walkers and canoists are different. A canoist with the "right to paddle" impinges on the rights of (licenced, paying) others to enjoy their pastime.

Bleeding heart liberal pinko, with bacon on top.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why not embrace this idea and help EDUCATE THE CANOEIST

How do you educate someone who really doesn't give a toss whether they ruin your fishing? I've come across polite and considerate people in canoes. I've also come across some who don't care that they are ruining someone else's day, and some who set out deliberately to do so.

How many miles of rivers, canals and other waterways are there in the UK, surely there must be enough for everyone?

Surely there must be, yes. So what's needed is some kind of arrangement whereby some stretches at certain times are for the exclusive use of either canoeists or anglers, not an arrangement whereby the canoeists' have a right to ruin anybody's fishing any time they like.

Where other incompatible activities compete for a resource, we allow them access at different times or places. The right to roam does not give ramblers carte blanche to picnic in the goal mouth at Old Trafford.

I fish in Estuaries in Wales where an angler on foot could never get to - what's the harm in that?

None that I can see.

What about the right of canoeist to enjoy their past time? Again education is the key.

Having half a brain also helps.

If I was so stupid as to cast a line over a canoeist I'd expect - at the very least - a volley of "complaint"

If a canoeist sprints through a swim I'm fishing it's often me on the end of the verbal abuse when a seemingly steroid-pumped oaf gets inconvenienced by my line. *Not* the other way round. Sorry, but that's how it happens. I'm afraid a fair proportion of canoeists are like certain cyclists who think they own both road + pavement and are immune to the laws regarding traffic lights.

I've done loads of canoeing (and if Peter W is around, some of this involved 'marginal waters' up the Wensum(?) to the W of Norwich, just by UEA ), but my attitude was that I didn't own the river. I've seen plenty of much less manageable craft, such as canal narrowboats, showing more respect for anglers than many canoeists. Taking part in 'natural' and 'healthy' outdoor pursuits doesn't automatically confer extra rights on canoeists over other river users.

Edited by GlennB

Bleeding heart liberal pinko, with bacon on top.

I can say the same for anglers and other's - Education is the key

What about the right of canoeist to enjoy their past time? Again education is the key.

Hypothetically speaking, what if areas of special interest to both groups are identified, like rapids for canoeist, and say grayling streams for anglers, right of way is given to one group or the other.

This is progress and finding a middle ground - is this difficult or what?

The proposal is not middle ground. The proposal is that canoeists get priority over anglers, everywhere, at all times, by right. Is that difficult?

Canoeists are demanding that anglers give ground, but why should we? There are thousands of miles of waterway open to canoeists within and around the UK. Okay, so anglers can access most of those, but the fact remains that canoeists can ruin a days sport for an angler, an angler can hardly ruin a days sport for a canoeist.

Canoeists are making demands of anglers, what are they going to give in return? Yep, just what I thought, sweet fanny adams! Somethings just don't mix, and canoeing and angling are just two of them.

As for the arguement about it turning PETA against us! Give me strength!!

Just for once anglers should stand up and be counted, we matter.

If you should happen, purely by accident, to hook a canoe with 80lb powerpro and a wire trace that would not be easy to cut, you could probably land the thing after a nice battle. Probably on par with a pike in the 20s or a carp in the 30s-40s.

Do you think you could have a nice, polite conversation with the canoeist at that point? Some gentle hints about how to boat with courtesy when anglers were present perhaps?

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

Guest Brumagem Phil
If you should happen, purely by accident, to hook a canoe with 80lb powerpro and a wire trace that would not be easy to cut, you could probably land the thing after a nice battle. Probably on par with a pike in the 20s or a carp in the 30s-40s.

Do you think you could have a nice, polite conversation with the canoeist at that point? Some gentle hints about how to boat with courtesy when anglers were present perhaps?

Newt, I'm warming to you old fellah :):):)

Chatting to canoeists does go on Newt. Bear in mind that I do use a canoe and I do have some sympathy with their demands.

Most canoeists do behave reasonably well, as do most anglers. Its just the mix that is the issue.

Yes, Mike, we have. Firstly, on my local waterway, the local instructors make great efforts to keep their pupils away from angling activities.

On another occasion I attended a conference re canoe access. The canoe rep had his say but then left the meeting before the anglers had their say.

In our area the canoeists want access to the Upper Waveney, a narrow, shallow waterway that could connect the Fens to the Broads and create a long distance route. Sounds good, from a canoeing perspective. But being shallow and narrow means that the very presence of canoes, no matter how considerate, would create problems for anglers.

Access is being demanded, not requested. It could devalue fisheries and loose landowners money. The knock on effects could be less than helpful.