perch caught on the river tweed

cannibalspinners

the well known salmon & trout river, the tweed has been throwing up catches of perch , in the middle to upper reaches.

several grayling fishers have been reporting catching perch on the tweed at the back end of january

this is most unusual , as it is very fast flowing & has been in flood for a long time , how did they suddenly appear ?

they have been caught between kelso ( upper floors ) to yair , a good 20 miles + apart.

also just heard perch are being caught on the teviot & the lower gala water.

anyone who is familiar with this river have any explanation.?

150_brown_trout1.jpg RECORD RIVER CAUGHT BROWN TROUT 7LB 5OZ

http://www.spinningluresuk.com

Yep - you're talking about rivers that are almost exclusively the territory of 'game' anglers who will be (mostly) fly fishing, or at best lure fishing through 'known' salmon lies; consequently, neither are likely to see much of the perch.

Grayling anlers are very likely trotting a worm on entirely different stretches.

Probably the same reason that you rarely hear about the stupendous roach in the Tweed, too!

It used to be a cracking River for Roach back in the 1970s I wonder what happened to them, I remember the day ticket stretch near Coldstream was particularly good as was a stetch by the chain Bridge at Norham.

Edited by Tony U

Tony

After a certain age, if you don't wake up aching in every joint, you are probably dead.

Roach are still in the river in abundance Tony - some VERY good fish, too ... and it's not limited to the Tweed either. Quite a few of the Scottish rivers perceived as being 'game' rivers, and consequently rarely if ever fished for coarse fish ( as is very often the case in Scotland) hold some quite spectacular roach, though they can be quite localised and need to be found first - one of the very best locations I'm aware of is sunstantially north of there, and tidal almost to the point of being permenently saline!

Phil

There also used to be some stonking Dace in the River Tyne remeber the Gusher at Wylam/Clara Vale? I am sure some were over the 1lb mark.

Tony

Tony

After a certain age, if you don't wake up aching in every joint, you are probably dead.

Phil

There also used to be some stonking Dace in the River Tyne remeber the Gusher at Wylam/Clara Vale? I am sure some were over the 1lb mark.

Tony

Still there Tony, other locations too. There are some stretches (normally strictly the preserve of the salmon fraternity) that are accessible at certain times on a day ticket ... if you are happy with a stick float, can tolerate the occasional big pike being a pain occasionally, and enjoy good scenery it can be like Heaven on Earth!

Need to be careful though if you want to get away from the crowd / known areas ... wading is often necessary, and on some stretches - particularly the salmon pools - you can go from knee-deep into 15 feet of fast water within a couple of paces. It's not as bad as it sounds as the water is usually clear enough to easily see at least a couple of metres downwards, so if you are aware of the potential problem and at least half awake, it's not an issue ... we don't seem to see many salmon anglers downstream, floating face-down through Newcastle :D

Some nice chub and roach starting to come through too ... not to mention the cod I've seen up to about 10lbs coming out of the Tyne, directly behind the Copthorne hotel, right in the city centre! :clap:

• Like 1

phil , how far up the tweed are the roach , do they only lie in the calmer waters , are they caught on the worm.

the perch i am told on good authority were caught in the galashiels area , this is the middle to upper tweed beat , with some very fast flowing water

ever heard of chub in the tweed ? . do you think there were once many species of coarse fish in the tweed ? & the salmon foundation eradicated them through time ?.

150_brown_trout1.jpg RECORD RIVER CAUGHT BROWN TROUT 7LB 5OZ

http://www.spinningluresuk.com

Phil

When I am back up home I am generally concentrating on catching Spotties on the fly, or discovering how effective LRF is in Amble Harbour, so I doubt i will get any coarse fishing done, it will remain as a fond memory of my youth.

Tony

phil , how far up the tweed are the roach , do they only lie in the calmer waters , are they caught on the worm.

the perch i am told on good authority were caught in the galashiels area , this is the middle to upper tweed beat , with some very fast flowing water

ever heard of chub in the tweed ? . do you think there were once many species of coarse fish in the tweed ? & the salmon foundation eradicated them through time ?.

I've known of good roach shoals - and perch - from around Peebles, then downstream pretty much all the way to Berwick - personal favourite would be around St Boswells.

Never heard of chub from the Tweed - until very recently, most people would have argued quite accurately that chub were in the Wear, but no further north, and the Tyne was perceived to be devoid of them ... until a few started showing there, literally within the last 2 - 3 years. This seemed to coincide with some of the water being available to coarse anglers on a day ticket for the first time in many years - some of the fish have been quite serious weights, though their captors keep quiet about precise locations.

Eradication of specific species from the Tweed as an intentional game-plan? I doubt it would be possible, realistically. I can't think of any reasonable, effective way to remove large shoals of fish throughout the river system - even serious disease leaves behind at least some survivors to repopulate the area ... the perch being a brilliant example.

Big pike are likely a different matter altogether - they can be targeted specifically - I've even actually known one bailiff, much further north, who actually SHOT them as they were basking in shallower water - if you are in the middle of an estate that runs to several thousands of acres, you can pretty much make up your won rules!

• Like 1

Phil

When I am back up home I am generally concentrating on catching Spotties on the fly, or discovering how effective LRF is in Amble Harbour, so I doubt i will get any coarse fishing done, it will remain as a fond memory of my youth.

Yeah - Amble IS nice - only about an hour away too, probably less ... just wish I knew a benevolent 'someone' there who would loan me an apartment occasionally so that I could stop over for along weekend with my young lads :-) ... such a massive percentage of the property there laid empty the vast majority of the time, having been bought as 'holiday homes', often by people from well out of the area ... problem is so bad that younger local people are having serious problems getting onto the housing ladder, so much so that any 'new build' sites HAVE to sell a percentage to local residents only!

• Like 1