perch caught on the river tweed

cannibalspinners

I am lucky amble is only 25 minutes along the A19 and then up the coast road from my mum's. Also my best mate's caravan is a Warkworth ten minutes away (it is also alongside a Fed stretch of the Coquet, very handy for a bit of fly fishing).

Do you know how the Lakes at Killingworth are fishing these days?

Edited by Tony U

Tony

After a certain age, if you don't wake up aching in every joint, you are probably dead.

I've known of good roach shoals - and perch - from around Peebles, then downstream pretty much all the way to Berwick - personal favourite would be around St Boswells.

Never heard of chub from the Tweed - until very recently, most people would have argued quite accurately that chub were in the Wear, but no further north, and the Tyne was perceived to be devoid of them ... until a few started showing there, literally within the last 2 - 3 years. This seemed to coincide with some of the water being available to coarse anglers on a day ticket for the first time in many years - some of the fish have been quite serious weights, though their captors keep quiet about precise locations.

Eradication of specific species from the Tweed as an intentional game-plan? I doubt it would be possible, realistically. I can't think of any reasonable, effective way to remove large shoals of fish throughout the river system - even serious disease leaves behind at least some survivors to repopulate the area ... the perch being a brilliant example.

Big pike are likely a different matter altogether - they can be targeted specifically - I've even actually known one bailiff, much further north, who actually SHOT them as they were basking in shallower water - if you are in the middle of an estate that runs to several thousands of acres, you can pretty much make up your won rules!

Thanks phil , when these fish were caught on the tweed , were they All taken with bait.

The authorities insist on a close season , just to protect salmon , They would hate the idea if multiple coarse fishers arrived on the scene

as their laws are based on salmon , sea trout & brown trout , they would find it very difficult to stop people coarse fishing.

I would of thought that the spped of the tweed flow would not suit coarse fish except Grayling , I imagine when the tweed floods 8 ft or more & the river flows at 15 mph + that the perch , rudd etc will just move to the side & be in the calm shallows.

I have always known the tweed held a mixed number of coarse fish years ago , But why are they now being caught , Is it because people are putting them in the river .

Have you heard or seen any pike in the tweed.

150_brown_trout1.jpg RECORD RIVER CAUGHT BROWN TROUT 7LB 5OZ

http://www.spinningluresuk.com

I am lucky amble is only 25 minutes along the A19 and then up the coast road from my mum's. Also my best mate's caravan is a Warkworth ten minutes away (it is also alongside a Fed stretch of the Coquet, very handy for a bit of fly fishing).

Do you know how the Lakes at Killingworth are fishing these days?

We'd be on the same route - I'm literally about 7 minutes the other side of the Tyne Tunnel!

Killingworth? Don't fish it personally, though keep meaning to have a looky-see and scare the resident pike. Local feedback seems to be that as usual, it's a bit hit'n'miss ... The QE lakes might be a better bet, but a very much bigger water - or the fishery at Felton, just the other side of Morpeth, which is relatively painless, for a commercial :-)

Thanks phil , when these fish were caught on the tweed , were they All taken with bait.

The authorities insist on a close season , just to protect salmon , They would hate the idea if multiple coarse fishers arrived on the scene

as their laws are based on salmon , sea trout & brown trout , they would find it very difficult to stop people coarse fishing.

I would of thought that the spped of the tweed flow would not suit coarse fish except Grayling , I imagine when the tweed floods 8 ft or more & the river flows at 15 mph + that the perch , rudd etc will just move to the side & be in the calm shallows.

I have always known the tweed held a mixed number of coarse fish years ago , But why are they now being caught , Is it because people are putting them in the river .

Have you heard or seen any pike in the tweed.

Roach would definitely been a 'bait' approach, and I'm not too sure whether the perch are actively persued, or just a by-catch for most people, in which case they are most likely coming out to people trotting for grayling.

Location is everything, as neither species is widespread, more like localised pockets of quality fish. A Mepps-type spinner is as good as anything for finding perch, and after that the method and bait are largely up to you.

Grayling? They're throughout the river, though at the right time of year - fast approaching - they congregate in massive shoals pre-spawning and you can quite literally get sick of catching them - pellet-fed farm trout can be picky in comparison, and although the big fish are there, they are massively outnumbered so targeting them specifically is virtually impossible. Go upstream, find gravel where one of the many tributaries joins the Tweed and you might get lucky - BUT - even if you do locate a shoal, it can have vanished within 36 hours of appearing there, never to be seen again in those numbers until next year.

Pike? Absolute certainty - listen to salmon anglers whinging about being bitten off (on a lure), and they're either making excuses, or they have stumbled across pike resident in the salmon lies, which is very common - unfortunately that also means that they are usually well out of reach to a coarse angler, unless your face fits / you know someone.

By biggest river pike stands over 26lbs - I'm aware of two river pike that have been resident in specific areas of rivers for in excess of 3 years, both of which are bigger than this by a considerable margin - one in the Tweed, where I get access maybe 2 / 3 times a year for 48 hours at a time, and the other more locally in the Wear.

I'm trying VERY hard to resisit the temptation to lob a dead bait at the Wear fish ... determined to have her out on a lure, and although she's followed on occasion and caused apoplexy, she has always (so far) faded back into the depths as a lure approaches the bank - later this year, I've plans to anchor mid-river and see if that makes a difference.

The Tweed fish? 'They' want it removed(!) - and salmon anglers don't fish with a wire trace - and I really don't want to be 'seen' catching it ;)

top stuff phil , well answered , i would like to get in to a large tweed pike , as i imagine it would be a very powerful creature with it having to fight some strong currents

i myself 2 seasons ago was fishing the fairnilee beat on the tweed with a spinner when i hooked what i took to be a large salmon

it gave a tremendous pull & took of like a train & 5 seconds later it was gone , broken , when i got the line back it was as if cut by a razor balde , it may just of been a pike with its sharp teeth.

i have caught several large grayling on the tweed too , with spinners in very fast deep water , they were between the 2 - 3 lb mark

never came across any perch or roach , rudd etc.... but i believe they are there !!!!!!!!

150_brown_trout1.jpg RECORD RIVER CAUGHT BROWN TROUT 7LB 5OZ

http://www.spinningluresuk.com

We'd be on the same route - I'm literally about 7 minutes the other side of the Tyne Tunnel!

Killingworth? Don't fish it personally, though keep meaning to have a looky-see and scare the resident pike. Local feedback seems to be that as usual, it's a bit hit'n'miss ... The QE lakes might be a better bet, but a very much bigger water - or the fishery at Felton, just the other side of Morpeth, which is relatively painless, for a commercial :-)

Mum lives in Forest Hall probably not too far away from you but a bloody longways from Kent.

I was there when the first ever Pike was caught from Killingworth lake, by Rob Steele on a Roach dead bait.

Tony

After a certain age, if you don't wake up aching in every joint, you are probably dead.